Previous panamera owners (or anyone) do you like the Taycan better?

Porsche10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, 911
Country flag
Hello,
I currently own a 2018 Macan S and I was looking to switch my daily driver to a sedan sometime within the next year or so. I’ve driven the panamera, I think it handles very very well, it’s also pretty spacious and the looks are nice but I think the taycan looks better.
For those who own the Taycan and have been in the panamera before, do you think the Taycan is honestly better? How’s the charging and range? Is it able to do long trips? Does it handle as well as the panamera? Does the battery deteriorate over time? I don’t have any kids so the back seat room isn’t a deal breaker but I am a huge petrol head and not having a loud exhaust is a near deal breaker for me, but if the Taycan really is that good, I’ll think about giving it a try because it just looks so damn good- it’s truly a 4 door 911 and the interior is amazing as well. I plan on doing a test drive sometime soon but I have sat in a Taycan before when I was at the dealer. Any feedback helps, thanks.
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Hello,
I currently own a 2018 Macan S and I was looking to switch my daily driver to a sedan sometime within the next year or so. I’ve driven the panamera, I think it handles very very well, it’s also pretty spacious and the looks are nice but I think the taycan looks better.
For those who own the Taycan and have been in the panamera before, do you think the Taycan is honestly better? How’s the charging and range? Is it able to do long trips? Does it handle as well as the panamera? Does the battery deteriorate over time? I don’t have any kids so the back seat room isn’t a deal breaker but I am a huge petrol head and not having a loud exhaust is a near deal breaker for me, but if the Taycan really is that good, I’ll think about giving it a try because it just looks so damn good- it’s truly a 4 door 911 and the interior is amazing as well. I plan on doing a test drive sometime soon but I have sat in a Taycan before when I was at the dealer. Any feedback helps, thanks.
As soon as you test one, the game is up. It is head and shoulders above just about anything and very versatile. There may be a few small niggles to be ironed out, but it is addicting. I have kept my 2018 AMG E63S but I have used it maybe twice or three times a month since I own the Taycan. Have started to think maybe I should sell it and rent something large if I ever need it. I miss the smoothness and balance of the Taycan every time I use my AMG. In contrast I don’t miss even the glorious sound of the V8 and the seating position is so good, when driving my AMG now, I feel like I am driving an SUV . The only thing that is much better on the Mercedes is the telematics including nav, ease of use and even ergonomics.

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I went from a Panamera TT to a Taycan Turbo. The Taycan is a blast. The car is so fast and it feels more like a 911 than the Panamera (more of a sports car than the Panamera). If you need to haul four people on long trips, then I would say that the Panamera is "better", but only by a small amount. I do think the look of the back seat in the Panamera with the vents and the console is better than the Taycan and that is about the only thing I miss from the Panamera; well, I sort of miss the sports exhaust on the Panamera. I find the layout of Apple Car play much better in the Taycan, so it takes advantage of the full screen and the PCM is better than my 2018 Panamera. I would say, do not take one out on a long test drive. . .

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Taycan is simply worlds better than the Panamera unless you either need slightly more cargo space or aren't prepared for the charging/EV aspect.

In terms of the car itself it's not even close. The Taycan handles worlds better, has a nicer interior, is faster in the real world, more attractive, is a better deal for the money, etc.. Even the Panamera Turbo is too quiet to really miss the engine noise.

The downside can be that it's an EV. But that's it vs the Panamera.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
The handling in an older V8 Panamera GTS felt similar to me but not as smooth as our Taycan TS. Our Taycan has PDCC, RWS, and PTV+, but the instantaneous stable acceleration overwhelms handling differences between other cars. Have not driven any four-passenger vehicle that I would consider better handling. But love the sound of the V8 Panamera GTS.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
careful dipping into the EV world - it will ruin you for gas cars…it just will. Once you go EV there is no going back

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Bought my first Porsche (a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid) in January of this year. Just placed an order for a Taycan – its that much better.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
As a former owner of both the Panamera Turbo and the Macan S, the Taycan is at another level. The Panamera was one of my favorite cars, but you definitely noticed the weight. The Taycan is also a heavy car, but it is simply magical how well it handles. The instant torque of EVs is also addicting. The Panamera with the sport exhaust was a big let down for me as far as the exhaust noise. I crave the exhaust noise from my other cars (multiple Maseratis and Astons), but I honestly don't miss it when I'm in the Taycan.

You can do road trips in the Taycan with some advance planning. It is very comfortable both around town and on the highway. Real world range even when driven hard is 250+ miles so it is not an issue.

OP
OP

Porsche10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, 911
Country flag
As a former owner of both the Panamera Turbo and the Macan S, the Taycan is at another level. The Panamera was one of my favorite cars, but you definitely noticed the weight. The Taycan is also a heavy car, but it is simply magical how well it handles. The instant torque of EVs is also addicting. The Panamera with the sport exhaust was a big let down for me as far as the exhaust noise. I crave the exhaust noise from my other cars (multiple Maseratis and Astons), but I honestly don't miss it when I'm in the Taycan.

You can do road trips in the Taycan with some advance planning. It is very comfortable both around town and on the highway. Real world range even when driven hard is 250+ miles so it is not an issue.
Thanks for the feedback. If I bought a taycan it would be the 4S (the turbo and turbo S is a little pricey for me). With that being said, the new panamera 4s e-hybrid that Porsche just came out with accelerates faster 0-60 than the equivalent taycan 4s. If I’m giving up the engine noise, I want the car it be significantly quicker with that Electric motor torque. At this point I feel that the only taycan (as a car enthusiast) that I want would be the turbo or turbo s because they smoke every panamera in terms of speed and acceleration. I might lease a turbo if I can’t justify financing the 4S. I really love the look and interior of the taycan. And In the flesh it stands out and has a presence on the road.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. If I bought a taycan it would be the 4S (the turbo and turbo S is a little pricey for me). With that being said, the new panamera 4s e-hybrid that Porsche just came out with accelerates faster 0-60 than the equivalent taycan 4s. If I’m giving up the engine noise, I want the car it be significantly quicker with that Electric motor torque. At this point I feel that the only taycan (as a car enthusiast) that I want would be the turbo or turbo s because they smoke every panamera in terms of speed and acceleration. I might lease a turbo if I can’t justify financing the 4S. I really love the look and interior of the taycan. And In the flesh it stands out and has a presence on the road.
Stop reading Car and Driver test results. The Taycan 4S is faster than a Panamera Turbo in the real world, I say so from experience.

The Panamera 4S eHybrid is an actual boat and the exhaust noise frankly sucks on the V6 Panameras, there is nothing sporty about that car. The turbo V8 Panameras sound great but like music turned down so low you have to strain to hear it. You're just not losing anything from exhaust going from a Panamera to a Taycan. A 911 or AMG or whatever, sure, but modern Panameras either sound poor or very quiet.

You're confusing a drag strip launch with actual road speed. If you stop next to a 2017+ Panamera Turbo in a Taycan 4S and you both stomp the gas, no launch, the Taycan wins. If you pull up next to one while driving you will absolutely clobber it by several lengths if you both mash the gas.

OP
OP

Porsche10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, 911
Country flag
Stop reading Car and Driver test results. The Taycan 4S is faster than a Panamera Turbo in the real world, I say so from experience.

The Panamera 4S eHybrid is an actual boat and the exhaust noise frankly sucks on the V6 Panameras, there is nothing sporty about that car.

You're confusing a drag strip launch with actual road speed. If you stop next to a 2017+ Panamera Turbo in a Taycan 4S and you both stomp the gas, no launch, the Taycan wins. If you pull up next to one while driving you will absolutely clobber it by several lengths if you both mash the gas.
I definitely need to drive one to see. I wasn’t getting the numbers from car and driver though, I was just looking at Porsche’s website

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The Panamera 4S eHybrid is an actual boat and the exhaust noise frankly sucks on the V6 Panameras, there is nothing sporty about that car.

Totally agree. I have a Taycan 4S. It will smoke the Panamera in the real world.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have also owned a Porsche e-hybrid. The e part is a joke. You will run through the battery in the e-hybrid in 15 minutes.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I definitely need to drive one to see. I wasn’t getting the numbers from car and driver though, I was just looking at Porsche’s website
You will be shocked. Ask to drive a Panamera Turbo first, a car that runs a claimed .8 seconds 0-60 faster than a Taycan 4S, and your mind will be blown.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the numbers don’t tell the whole story - EV acceleration is a drug - and it’s immediate and powerful - no gas car can match 800 ft/lbs of _INSTANT_ Torque - it just can’t be done...

EV’s are different - and all the weight is down low, where, if you gotta have it - is where you want it…

all those Tesla fan boy’s love their EV’s - they are just confused in that they think they love TEsla - they don’t - they love EV’s and all it take is a good EV (like the Taycan) and you’ll see gas cars are soon to be the flip phone of the automotive industry…

drive one - and then make your decision - but the outcome is pre-ordained
Sponsored

Last edited: