Prewire Porsche Dashcam (front/rear) Option?

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
I'm on the list for a 2023 Tayan 4S '23. Time to make changes to my build. I see that for the first time, an option for prewiring a Porsche front/rear dashcam is available for $130.00 While the Porsche dash cams do NOT get great reviews, I struggle to understand why NOT checking this box wouldn't be a good idea. First, it is probably the cheapest Porsche option EVER, so I'd like to participate in that! :) But in a practical vein, even if I don't choose to install a cam and/or choose to not buy Porsche cam hardware, how can spending $130.00 (in today's era of $150/hr labor) to deliver power to front and rear not be a good idea? Am I missing something?
Sponsored

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
You're not missing anything. I've added it to my build as well.

I was told by a sales rep that getting it wired for dash cam after the fact would cost thousands.

And keep in mind, if you do your own aftermarket dash cam, you will likely void warranties, not something you want on an electric car. (I had issues with my Cayenne e-hybrid battery and they blamed my aftermarket dash cam).

Simply put, check that box for this $150 option.

Reactions: RKZ

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
The only problem would be if there the wiring is a proprietary connector that will not work with an aftermarket dashcam without some understanding of the wiring diagram

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Sorry no that is simply not true, at least not in the US.
You guys do have different warranty laws that someone here told me about so you're probably right on that.

I just keep it fresh in my mind because it almost costed me big.

In any event, $150 to pre-wire is a no brainer to me. The amount of time I spent fishing the wiring through my Cayenne (front and back) definitely costed me more.

Ranman

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Country flag
Has anyone gotten an answer to what the prewire dashcam option interface is and if it can be used for 3rd party cameras? My dealer didnt have any information.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Has anyone gotten an answer to what the prewire dashcam option interface is and if it can be used for 3rd party cameras? My dealer didnt have any information.
Firstly do we know for sure it is for front and rear cameras?
I would have ticked the box but PRG told me it would definitely delay my 4S CT which is scheduled for production on 28th October.
The Porsche dash cam uses rectangular plug and socket same as Audi traffic recorder so unlikely to fit other cameras.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would have ticked the box but PRG told me it would definitely delay my 4S CT which is scheduled for production on 28th October.
The Porsche dash cam uses rectangular plug and socket same as Audi traffic recorder so unlikely to fit other cameras.
Certainly for front. I've had a loaner Taycan and Boxster and both had the same setup and neither had a rear camera that I could see.

OP
OP

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
I did opt for it. Below is a cut/paste from the Porsche US Configurator. It does specify front and rear. We'll see. No discussion of a delay. My build was frozen on Tuesday of this week and I am being advised to expect delivery in the first week of December.
"Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

$130"

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne T Coupe, Macan GTS, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Has anyone taken delivery recently with the "Preparation for Dashcam Prewire"..?

do we know if it's compatible with 3rd party cams? and does it include prewiring for a rear cam (front & REAR was specifically listed in the description on the configurator for a short time)
Sponsored