First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Morning,

Car is in the dealer and they set to privacy mode when they collected it. I'm being asked to change it to service mode via the app. Not sure i can access car (certainly can't find the menu anyway) from the app when it's in privacy as that needs to be disabled in the car PCM (according to the app/website).

Is there anything I can do remotely?

ta
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All sorted.... Did need privacy mode off from car...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
All sorted.... Did need privacy mode off from car...
Odd - I've never been asked to do that given all the recall work. Have WNJ8 booked for Wednesday - perhaps they'll ask this time around.

I always leave the tracker fob in the car so perhaps this is enough to disable the alarm during servicing.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Odd - I've never been asked to do that given all the recall work. Have WNJ8 booked for Wednesday - perhaps they'll ask this time around.

I always leave the tracker fob in the car so perhaps this is enough to disable the alarm during servicing.
They've got my tracker fob and are doing that WNJ8 as we speak. Anyway, once the privacy mode was disabled in the car, i was able to toggle what is actually called workshop mode on (in the tracker menu). It has a 10 hour maximum. Hopefully the update works 1st time!

It' the 1st time my car has been back...

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Just had all three updates completed. No one asked me to place the car in or out of Privacy mode.

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
My CT4 went in for the P-update a couple of weeks ago. The service technician put the car in privacy mode, and when I went to pick up the car, I had to take it out of privacy mode by interacting with the PCM. I made a point of doing this at the dealership before signing the paperwork, in case there were any issues (of which we’ve read about here, concerning some owners and inability to emerge from privacy mode / connectivity after the P-update). I had my Porsche ID / user set up on the PCM to auto-login. IIRC the PCM was in the guest user account. I was able to switch to my user without being prompted for a password, and then was able to disable privacy mode.

I don’t think you bring the car out of privacy mode remotely via the My Porsche app. They use Privacy Mode during service work in order to be in full control of the car and not have the customer be messing with stuff that might interfere with the work.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My CT4 went in for the P-update a couple of weeks ago. The service technician put the car in privacy mode, and when I went to pick up the car, I had to take it out of privacy mode by interacting with the PCM. I made a point of doing this at the dealership before signing the paperwork, in case there were any issues (of which we’ve read about here, concerning some owners and inability to emerge from privacy mode / connectivity after the P-update). I had my Porsche ID / user set up on the PCM to auto-login. IIRC the PCM was in the guest user account. I was able to switch to my user without being prompted for a password, and then was able to disable privacy mode.

I don’t think you bring the car out of privacy mode remotely via the My Porsche app. They use Privacy Mode during service work in order to be in full control of the car and not have the customer be messing with stuff that might interfere with the work.
Good call about logging in. Mine will be being delivered back to me (i think/hope), so i think i'll make sure they don't drive off with the loaner until it's working!

Sounds like it remembered you at least, rather than a full factory reset type thing?

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Porsche service engineer asked for my MyPorsche account, password and PIN to carry out the WNJ8 update. I found this odd, so changed everything after I got the car back.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Sounds like it remembered you at least, rather than a full factory reset type thing?
Correct. My CT4 is an early MY22 so perhaps there was relatively less risk. I do wonder how many factory resets are from techs blundering within the complex multi-step instructions and then using the nuclear option to recover…

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Maybe these are silly questions, but:
  1. Why does Porsche service not have the ability to put the car in service mode?
  2. Is there any benefit to the car owner for the car to be that mode?
  3. Is it some kind of security that prevents anyone working on the car unless the owner switches the car to shop mode? What if the issue being fixed is lack of app connectivity?

SCD

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S Cabriolet, Cayenne
Country flag
Porsche service engineer asked for my MyPorsche account, password and PIN to carry out the WNJ8 update. I found this odd, so changed everything after I got the car back.
This is surprising, they shouldn’t need your MyPorsche account information.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  1. Why does Porsche service not have the ability to put the car in service mode?
  3. Is it some kind of security that prevents anyone working on the car unless the owner switches the car to shop mode? What if the issue being fixed is lack of app connectivity?
1. Agreed, seems odd unless it is to do with 3.
2. Can’t think of one.
3. I guess the dealer wants it activated so you can’t screw around with stuff and crash an update. Seems odd that you can’t do it via pcm (if that is the case) - after all they can definitely (only) put it in private mode from there.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
2. Can’t think of one.
3. I guess the dealer wants it activated so you can’t screw around with stuff and crash an update. Seems odd that you can’t do it via pcm (if that is the case) - after all they can definitely (only) put it in private mode from there.
Re #1: Must there be a difference? In either scenario, external/remote disabling of that mode is undesirable. Porsche service do have the ability to put the car in Private Mode - whether they do this via the current or guest user in the PCM, or in engineering mode, I don’t know. Perhaps there is a distinction, but Private Mode is just a simplification in the My Porsche user experience.

2&3 are related. The benefit to the user is that they are prevented from inadvertently screwing up an update, or inconveniencing the tech while they work. However, I don’t think Privacy Mode is required to be able to work on the car - seems like it’s just a best-practice that service techs follow.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
2. Can’t think of one.
Generally I would expect service mode to be activated and deactivated by service only. You wouldn't want the owner to trigger something on the car remotely which could create a dangerous situation in the garage if someone is working on it. I wonder if this is a usecase Porsche did not think through much - automotive industry lagging behind the computer industry.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my case, i'm pretty sure the switch to private was just done by the car who collected the car.The car he left me was in private too. Prob just normal practice. Anyway, not done by the tech.
Sponsored