Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
OK, first of all, this is the best car I've ever driven - by a long shot. It redefines 'daily driver' for me and I just don't see anything even remotely close to this car in terms of the combination of performance, quality, driving experience, and exterior and interior styling. I love this car.

BUT, there are a number of things that Porsche needs to fix, either on my car if they can, or certainly on future generations. Most of these all fall under the category of minor annoyances, with a few graduating to '...why the hell didn't Porsche do this right to begin with...'.

First, I won't dwell on the backup camera, but I'm hopeful Porsche will introduce a fix soon. Second, and this is really quite irritating, is the randomness of proper functioning of a number of features. First, the 'comfort access' evidently needs to take some time off every week. Sometimes the car will recognize me immediately and the door handles will pop out. Sometimes I will need to touch the door handle, and sometimes it will not work at all and I have to use the key. Yes, I've replaced the keyfob battery.

Second is the completely random resetting of a number of functions, starting with the central map display on the console - I've reset it countless times. I set the map to 'north up' and 'satellite view'. Sometimes it will stay that way for a few weeks, and sometimes I will reset it several times in a week. The seat heating profile will never hold it's settings, and CarPlay is a crapshoot in terms of when it decides not to hook up. I'd really like the car to be consistent with it's software, but evidently this is too difficult for Porsche at this time.

The motion activation of the front and rear trunks is ridiculous. Anyone who successfully uses this regularly must possess some kind of alien energy field that we normal humans cannot duplicate.

I won't get into the Nav and how well the charging planner works because I really don't use or trust it. I use Waze and the Electrify America app and have worked out how I combine this with the car nav, and it's probably not optimal but it works for me. A simpler and more reliable system is surely on the horizon.

That's about it for me, and my opinions are based on 12K miles over 12 months of daily driving with 2 long trips of over 500 miles. I wouldn't trade this car for anything and plan on keeping it for another 4 years and hope to put some 100K miles on it. I'd be very interested to hear what others think.
Sponsored

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
4 months and 3,360 miles driven. The only issue I have is when I exit my car the steering wheel does not rise up. The seat goes back but the wheel remains where I have it set. This is not a problem for me but eventually I would like to get it fixed. The dealer has no idea how to fix it yet. I think its a chip issue and we all know what the changes are of getting that chip replaced. Slim to none at this time. Otherwise my 4S is performing flawlessly.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The motion activation of the front and rear trunks is ridiculous. Anyone who successfully uses this regularly must possess some kind of alien energy field that we normal humans cannot duplicate.
I would mostly agree with your list, but I don’t have any issues with the front and rear trunk sensors.

Maybe there are inconsistencies in cars though?

I’m 100% on the front one after I learned how to do it right. Did you see my thread on that and try that method?

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/comfort-access-hood-opening…nailed-it.5900/

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OK, first of all, this is the best car I've ever driven - by a long shot. It redefines 'daily driver' for me and I just don't see anything even remotely close to this car in terms of the combination of performance, quality, driving experience, and exterior and interior styling. I love this car.

BUT, there are a number of things that Porsche needs to fix, either on my car if they can, or certainly on future generations. Most of these all fall under the category of minor annoyances, with a few graduating to '...why the hell didn't Porsche do this right to begin with...'.

First, I won't dwell on the backup camera, but I'm hopeful Porsche will introduce a fix soon. Second, and this is really quite irritating, is the randomness of proper functioning of a number of features. First, the 'comfort access' evidently needs to take some time off every week. Sometimes the car will recognize me immediately and the door handles will pop out. Sometimes I will need to touch the door handle, and sometimes it will not work at all and I have to use the key. Yes, I've replaced the keyfob battery.

Second is the completely random resetting of a number of functions, starting with the central map display on the console - I've reset it countless times. I set the map to 'north up' and 'satellite view'. Sometimes it will stay that way for a few weeks, and sometimes I will reset it several times in a week. The seat heating profile will never hold it's settings, and CarPlay is a crapshoot in terms of when it decides not to hook up. I'd really like the car to be consistent with it's software, but evidently this is too difficult for Porsche at this time.

I won't get into the Nav and how well the charging planner works because I really don't use or trust it. I use Waze and the Electrify America app and have worked out how I combine this with the car nav, and it's probably not optimal but it works for me. A simpler and more reliable system is surely on the horizon.

That's about it for me, and my opinions are based on 12K miles over 12 months of daily driving with 2 long trips of over 500 miles. I wouldn't trade this car for anything and plan on keeping it for another 4 years and hope to put some 100K miles on it. I'd be very interested to hear what others think.
I concur with some of the random anomalies you reference--I’ve experienced precisely the same issues in terms of the comfort access and random resetting of PCM preferences. Like you, my Taycan will go weeks with everything being hunky-dory then randomly lose or change various PCM settings without warning or any input on my part or not automatically present the door handles.

To be clear, these are frankly minor annoyances, or shall we call them personality quirks, eccentricities of the Taycan and they really don't change my opinion of the car; it is as you state amazing on so many levels and without a doubt the best car I've ever driven or owned, but it is weird that a car of this quality exhibits such odd behavior.

Last edited:

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
I concur with some of the random anomalies you reference--I’ve experienced precisely the same issues in terms of the comfort access and random resetting of PCM preferences. Like you, my Taycan will go weeks with everything being hunky-dory then randomly lose or change various PCM settings without warning or any input on my part.

To be clear, these are frankly minor annoyances, or shall we call them personality quirks, eccentricities of the Taycan and they really don't change my opinion of the car; it is as you state amazing on so many levels and without a doubt the best car I've ever driven or owned, but it is weird that a car of this quality exhibits such odd behavior.
I have found that the front sensor either doesn't work or is too sensitive....However, I have solved the rear sensor problem. Rather than kick in and out, if you leave your leg extended under the bumper for 2 or 3 seconds, the trunk will open 90% of the time....and if that doesn't work if you can kick a second time and that will do the trick.

BTW, you can close the rear trunk with your foot also!

Buck

WilderAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I find it odd that so many minimize the Taycan's buggy and needlessly complex software as if the vehicle's many positive elements excuse these flaws. It seems to me that the converse ought to be true. A vehicle of the Taycan's superior driving dynamics and impeccable fit and finish ought to have software of equal quality and it is inexcusable that it does not. Fortunately, most of these issues should be correctable through patches and updates but they will only occur as rapidly as pressure from purchasers demands.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I find it odd that so many minimize the Taycan's buggy and needlessly complex software as if the vehicle's many positive elements excuse these flaws. It seems to me that the converse ought to be true. A vehicle of the Taycan's superior driving dynamics and impeccable fit and finish ought to have software of equal quality and it is inexcusable that it does not. Fortunately, most of these issues should be correctable through patches and updates but they will only occur as rapidly as pressure from purchasers demands.
Agreed. But if it meant another year or two before they would have started to sell, I say: Ignore the bugs and drive the beauty!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
First, the 'comfort access' evidently needs to take some time off every week. Sometimes the car will recognize me immediately and the door handles will pop out. Sometimes I will need to touch the door handle, and sometimes it will not work at all and I have to use the key. Yes, I've replaced the keyfob battery.
Agree with everything. But this has not been a problem here. Is that the same wherever you park the car?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Second is the completely random resetting of a number of functions, starting with the central map display on the console - I've reset it countless times. I set the map to 'north up' and 'satellite view'. Sometimes it will stay that way for a few weeks, and sometimes I will reset it several times in a week. I'd really like the car to be consistent with it's software, but evidently this is too difficult for Porsche at this time.
The north up not staying is ANNOYING! I have to set it almost every time at startup and it shouldn't be that way. Last setting saved PLEASE!

Other than that I have experienced only 1 major issue and it's been at Porsche for some time while awaiting parts. Rear drive unit/transmission getting replaced after 2 months. Hoping to have it back next week.

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
See below for my 2p/10 cents...

>> Correct - very random operations....

>> Every 3rd day (or so it seems) the PCM/map starts in engine and will then revert to English, just weird. Don't get me started on PCM reliability with Carplay etc, so frustrating and surely relates to connect issues.

>> Agreed but like you I need to find that alien.

>> Ditto - 9k in and three years to go...

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes. There is an ongoing problem as to how the software controls sub components. It fails from to time to time on a seemingly random basis. As to the cause. Software failing to load properly? Sensors? Controllers? Etc.

Does anyone know what operating system(s) is used on the Taycan?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
4 months and 3,360 miles driven. The only issue I have is when I exit my car the steering wheel does not rise up. The seat goes back but the wheel remains where I have it set. This is not a problem for me but eventually I would like to get it fixed. The dealer has no idea how to fix it yet. I think its a chip issue and we all know what the changes are of getting that chip replaced. Slim to none at this time. Otherwise my 4S is performing flawlessly.
I also want this fixed. I don't think it's a chip, I think it's just a software bug. The wheel does respond to the preset buttons, for me.

What I did as a workaround, when leaving the car:

• Power off, waiting for the dash animation to complete
  • Press and hold preset 3 which I've configured the same as preset 1 but with the wheel fully forward
  • Open the door and exit
This will often (but not always) reset where I want things the next time I enter. If it doesn't, I press and hold preset 1.

It is a pain and I'd very much like for comfort entry to work as designed.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Love the car and can't wait for the next long road trip. At close to 16,000 miles, its been basically flawless. I've experienced these issues too, but they don't overcome the spectacular nature of the car.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Trunk comfort access sensor location is offset right of center. Kick directly under the C in PORSCHE and you are in the right spot.

To consistently open the front, I haven't found a way other than to wash the car.
Sponsored