madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I thought I understood the interaction between charging profiles and timers fairly well but had a couple of questions I cannot seem to find an answer to.

I have a General profile set to 80% (set for Optimized Charging -- i.e., not set for Preferred Charging Times) and that is what I have been using regularly (without any Timers) since I received my Taycan. Now that winter weather is arriving I think it would likely be better to not charge right away if I plug in at the end of a day when I do not need the car until the next morning. Otherwise it will top off to 80% pretty quickly at night and then sit in a cold garage all night.

So I am thinking that it would be better to set a Departure Timer. My question is whether or not to deselect the General profile. If I don't deselect the General profile I believe the car wants to get to 80% as soon as plugged in even if there is a Timer set for the next morning. If I do deselect the General profile then the Departure Timer works as expected and brings the car to the target 80% charge set in the Timer by the correct time. However, if I don't need the car at that time and I am not there to unplug the car once the Timer is done, the car starts charging again and wants to go to 100% because the Timer has passed, the car is still plugged in and the General profile is not selected.

So is there a way to have the car delay the start of the charge using a Timer but then always stop at 80% so it does not continue on once the Timer is passed? Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US!
Sponsored

GerhardF

First Name
Gerhard F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD coming Nov 2021
Country flag
......when I do not need the car until the next morning. Otherwise it will top off to 80% pretty quickly at night and then sit in a cold garage all night.

My question is:
Why do you think this is the wrong way?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I thought I understood the interaction between charging profiles and timers fairly well but had a couple of questions I cannot seem to find an answer to.

I have a General profile set to 80% (set for Optimized Charging -- i.e., not set for Preferred Charging Times) and that is what I have been using regularly (without any Timers) since I received my Taycan. Now that winter weather is arriving I think it would likely be better to not charge right away if I plug in at the end of a day when I do not need the car until the next morning. Otherwise it will top off to 80% pretty quickly at night and then sit in a cold garage all night.

So I am thinking that it would be better to set a Departure Timer. My question is whether or not to deselect the General profile. If I don't deselect the General profile I believe the car wants to get to 80% as soon as plugged in even if there is a Timer set for the next morning. If I do deselect the General profile then the Departure Timer works as expected and brings the car to the target 80% charge set in the Timer by the correct time. However, if I don't need the car at that time and I am not there to unplug the car once the Timer is done, the car starts charging again and wants to go to 100% because the Timer has passed, the car is still plugged in and the General profile is not selected.

So is there a way to have the car delay the start of the charge using a Timer but then always stop at 80% so it does not continue on once the Timer is passed? Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US!
You can set a timer and include pre cool/heating for a specific time in the morning. And deselect the profile altogether. Your car will then be nice and warm when you are leaving and it will also pre heat the battery. The power for all this will be taken from the grid and not from your battery.
Try it and see if it suits you.
I use this all the time in the winter months and the car may be standing outside most of the time.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Forget the General Profile.

Create a new profile that is location based (i.e. your home address, all profiles are location based) which the car will automatically remember (you can have 4 profiles / locations). Disable General as you don't need it and you don't want it to conflict with your new one.

Optimised charging - really only useful / relevant if you have a Home Energy Manager and use solar. This option will then manage how, where and when power will be used offering protection against potential overloads.

Typically you set the minimum charge level to be 25% (this means if the car has 25% or more battery charge when you connect the charging cable nothing will happen and the car will place the charging session on pause, if you have less than 25% then the car will immediately start charging until 25% is reached and then pause).

Set preferred charging times (i.e. when electric is at its cheapest e.g. midnight to 06:00).

Use a timer and configure for daily, charging only (unless you want precool / heat then set as needed), set target charge level for 85% (note that depending on the preferred times set in your new profile this must be a big enough charging window to enable the battery to charge to 85% (generally it isn't an issue but if the car decides it will take longer then the charging session will start earlier than you've set), finally set a departure timer e.g. 07:00. Good to go!

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
......when I do not need the car until the next morning. Otherwise it will top off to 80% pretty quickly at night and then sit in a cold garage all night.

My question is:
Why do you think this is the wrong way?
Fair point. I am not sure if there is anything wrong with that. I recall reading somewhere that charging and letting the battery then sit, particularly in cold weather, is not optimal for battery health. I assumed that is why the car waits until the last possible time to start charging when coupled with a departure timer but maybe that is more so you are driving with a warm battery rather than worried about it sitting in the cold. And maybe I am overthinking the whole thing and it does not really matter if I am consistently charging to only 80% anyways. I am just not sure.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Is the timer repeating or not? If you don’t have a profile and the timer is non-repeating, the car will continue charging to 100% 30 min after the departure time has expired.

The alternative is to set a profile for 25%. This shouldn’t affect the timer because the car would charge to a 25% min right away with the timer anyway.

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
You can set a timer and include pre cool/heating for a specific time in the morning. And deselect the profile altogether. Your car will then be nice and warm when you are leaving and it will also pre heat the battery. The power for all this will be taken from the grid and not from your battery.
Try it and see if it suits you.
I use this all the time in the winter months and the car may be standing outside most of the time.
Thanks. I am aware of this but with me working from home a lot I frequently do not know the evening prior what particular time I will need to have the car ready the next day. If I do not have a profile selected and I rely just on a departure timer in this manner then I need to remember to go unplug the car when the timer is reached if I am not ready yet to drive because otherwise it will be plugged in past the timer with no profile set and proceed to charge to 100%

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Forget the General Profile.

Create a new profile that is location based (i.e. your home address, all profiles are location based) which the car will automatically remember (you can have 4 profiles / locations). Disable General as you don't need it and you don't want it to conflict with your new one.

Optimised charging - really only useful / relevant if you have a Home Energy Manager and use solar. This option will then manage how, where and when power will be used offering protection against potential overloads.

Typically you set the minimum charge level to be 25% (this means if the car has 25% or more battery charge when you connect the charging cable nothing will happen and the car will place the charging session on pause, if you have less than 25% then the car will immediately start charging until 25% is reached and then pause).

Set preferred charging times (i.e. when electric is at its cheapest e.g. midnight to 06:00).

Use a timer and configure for daily, charging only (unless you want precool / heat then set as needed), set target charge level for 85% (note that depending on the preferred times set in your new profile this must be a big enough charging window to enable the battery to charge to 85% (generally it isn't an issue but if the car decides it will take longer then the charging session will start earlier than you've set), finally set a departure timer e.g. 07:00. Good to go!
Thanks. This makes sense. I don't have reduced off peak rates -- it's the same price no matter when I charge (just graduated kWh fees depending on total usage) but I can still follow this.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. I am aware of this but with me working from home a lot I frequently do not know the evening prior what particular time I will need to have the car ready the next day. If I do not have a profile selected and I rely just on a departure timer in this manner then I need to remember to go unplug the car when the timer is reached if I am not ready yet to drive because otherwise it will be plugged in past the timer with no profile set and proceed to charge to 100%
Departure time doesn't matter - the use case here is to ensure charging stops at a precise time and doesn't overrun (or overcharge) - you don't need to 'depart'.

Trust me, Profile & Timer work perfect together. I've used this method for 12+ months now with no issue. I have 2 profiles (I have two home charging locations) and the car automatically detects where it is when I connect the charging cable. At no time will (or has) the car charged to 100% due to the cable being left connected.

On day 1 the car will charge to 85% and be ready for use by 07:00. If I decided not to use the car that day and leave the charging cable connected then no drama. On day 2 the process repeats except no charging takes place as the car is already at 85%....and so on.

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Is the timer repeating or not? If you don’t have a profile and the timer is non-repeating, the car will continue charging to 100% 30 min after the departure time has expired.

The alternative is to set a profile for 25%. This shouldn’t affect the timer because the car would charge to a 25% min right away with the timer anyway.
Thanks. I did not know about the 30 minute point. That seems to be what it did. It stopped with the timer at the target charge but I was on a work call and so it then started up again to get to 100% (presumably 30 minutes later). I like the sound of a Home profile at 25% preferred times between 2AM-7AM coupled with a 7AM daily 80% timer. I will try that. I guess the only thing that doesn't pick up is if I use an AC charger away from home (at like a Chargepoint at a supermarket). Then I guess I just hit the Direct Charging button. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Thanks. I did not know about the 30 minute point. That seems to be what it did. It stopped with the timer at the target charge but I was on a work call and so it then started up again to get to 100% (presumably 30 minutes later). I like the sound of a Home profile at 25% preferred times between 2AM-7AM coupled with a 7AM daily 80% timer. I will try that. I guess the only thing that doesn't pick up is if I use an AC charger away from home (at like a Chargepoint at a supermarket). Then I guess I just hot the Direct Charging button. Thanks all.
You don’t need to set the preferred charging times. The timer will take car of the charge time.

Reference for 30 min expiration below:
Porsche Taycan Profile/Timer Interaction 3957DBAE-9548-4064-B84F-6FB2EEB04F17

And 25% timer min:
Porsche Taycan Profile/Timer Interaction A9A3F6BA-DFBF-497A-A618-7276EA3D953C

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
You don’t need to set the preferred charging times. The timer will take car of the charge time.

3957DBAE-9548-4064-B84F-6FB2EEB04F17.jpeg

And 25% timer min:
A9A3F6BA-DFBF-497A-A618-7276EA3D953C.jpeg
Thank you, Jeremy. I think the Good to Know app for my MY 2020 Turbo S is different than what you have above (which is presumably for MY 2021) but my software is up to date so maybe it is the same.

So if I have this right are you suggesting to have no profile at all and just a daily repeating timer of say 7AM at 80%? Then when I plug in it will go immediately to 25% if it is below that and then wait until whenever overnight to do the remaining 26%-80% to reach the target 80% at 7AM (and won't continue on to 100% 30 minutes later if left plugged in)? Do I have that right? If so that seems like the easiest solution.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

3957DBAE-9548-4064-B84F-6FB2EEB04F17.jpeg

And 25% timer min:
A9A3F6BA-DFBF-497A-A618-7276EA3D953C.jpeg
30 min rule - this doesn't happen in practice - I've left mine in for hours and it doesn't continue to charge. I believe the subtlety here is that if you press the release button and don't remove the cable then the 30 min override kicks in (poor English in the PGTKA).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. I did not know about the 30 minute point. That seems to be what it did. It stopped with the timer at the target charge but I was on a work call and so it then started up again to get to 100% (presumably 30 minutes later). I like the sound of a Home profile at 25% preferred times between 2AM-7AM coupled with a 7AM daily 80% timer. I will try that. I guess the only thing that doesn't pick up is if I use an AC charger away from home (at like a Chargepoint at a supermarket). Then I guess I just hit the Direct Charging button. Thanks all.
When using public AC chargers (unlike DC) I think you have to enable Direct Charge as you point out - I rarely use them so don't know for sure but it makes sense. You could of course have a profile for your 'favourite' one and set the minimum charge to be 85% (rather than 25% and have no preferred times or departure time set and it should get on just fine).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Check this video and it may be a bit clearer

Sponsored