ketjupiter

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2021 Mini Cooper S, 2019 Raptor
Country flag
Having just bought my ‘21 taycan 4s less than a week ago, I hope they wouldn’t make this retroactive. The tax credit was the one of the reasons I decided to trade my g wagon. Yes, I made out very well on my g wagon (sold it for more than u paid a year ago) and I am all for the environment, but I wouldn’t have done it without the credit.

OP
OP

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Having just bought my ‘21 taycan 4s less than a week ago, I hope they wouldn’t make this retroactive. The tax credit was the one of the reasons I decided to trade my g wagon. Yes, I made out very well on my g wagon (sold it for more than u paid a year ago) and I am all for the environment, but I wouldn’t have done it without the credit.
I wouldn’t worry. Tax hikes or elimination of incentives are almost never retroactive.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I wouldn’t worry. Tax hikes or elimination of incentives are almost never retroactive.
Many of us are awaiting delivery in August, September, etc..
Hoping nothing passes before then.

OP
OP

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Proposed US tax credits on EVs F352491A-AEE0-4D4A-A901-68456A628B2F

so much for my comment that tax law increases are never retroactive ?‍♂

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Gotta love politicians pandering to unions.
it's more than that, there is one party that despises the current tax credit system in place because they feel that only the "wealthy" can afford the vehicles that can get the tax credit and that the buyers have to have the level of income to apply the credit against.
so in their wisdom they want to make it so that the more expensive EVs cannot benefit from the tax credit.
the good news is that this is one item that probably would not survive the process.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I don’t want to get into a political discussion of it, but I thought the point of the incentive was to encourage EVERYONE to buy EVs, whether a 20k or a 200k vehicle. This change seems to be saying that is not the point anymore. Other than limiting vehicle amount tho, I’m fine with the rest of this.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I don’t want to get into a political discussion of it, but I thought the point of the incentive was to encourage EVERYONE to buy EVs, whether a 20k or a 200k vehicle. This change seems to be saying that is not the point anymore. Other than limiting vehicle amount tho, I’m fine with the rest of this.
what many people miss is that regardless of the price of the vehicle the purchaser has to show enough income to be able to take advantage of the tax CREDIT. since the recent changes in the tax laws many people are using the standard 24k deduction rather than doing an itemized return. if you do not do an itemized return and do not have the level of income to use the tax credit against, you cannot take full advantage of the credit. the one caveat to that statement is that if you lease the lessor can use the tax credit for lowering the cap cost of the car.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
what many people miss is that regardless of the price of the vehicle the purchaser has to show enough income to be able to take advantage of the tax CREDIT. since the recent changes in the tax laws many people are using the standard 24k deduction rather than doing an itemized return. if you do not do an itemized return and do not have the level of income to use the tax credit against, you cannot take full advantage of the credit. the one caveat to that statement is that if you lease the lessor can use the tax credit for lowering the cap cost of the car.
Not itemizing deductions & taking the standard deduction has nothing to do with using the tax credit. You just have to have a total tax on line 24 of form 1040 exceeding the $7,500 credit. If total tax does not exceed the amount of the credit, you can only use the lesser amount for the tax credit.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
While on the subject of tax credits, some states also offer tax rebates. Here in CA, there is the Clean Fuel Reward (see screenshot below) and the Southern CA Edison EV Rebate Programs. Both add up to $2500. The Clean Fuel Reward Program is state-sponsored but through the dealership, meaning that if your dealer doesn't drag their feet to participate in the program, you can cash in on the rebate. Not the case for me. The dealer had not sign up yet and I missed out on the $1500 rebate. I did get the $1000 from SCE.

So be on the prowl for your state's rebate programs so you can take advantage of them.

Porsche Taycan Proposed US tax credits on EVs 1622229821408

Last edited: