PSA: Buying a Taycan from warm climate, then taking it into winter

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Just a little warning for those who are considering having your car delivered to a dealer or experience center in a warm climate, then take it home somewhere where temperatures fall below 0C (32F). Porsche ships non-anti-freeze windshield washer fluid for PDI to dealers in warm climates, so if you take the car somewhere where temperatures fall below freezing, you will find a nasty surprise in a form of none of the wiper fluid nozzles inoperable whenever temperature drops below freezing, even barely. This can actually become a safety issue if that happens to you on the road.

I found this out the hard way, when road tripping after picking up my car from South Carolina, home to Washington state. Whenever temperatures would fall even a little under 32F, windshield washers would freeze up (since no nozzle or wiper heaters on Taycans). It got a little scary driving at one point, so I ended up having to manually defrost the nozzles (by pouring anti freeze on them, lucky it was only barely freezing - 29F), then draining all the original windshield wiper fluid, then replacing it and flushing it out with a winterized version from Walmart (since it was right there at the charger where I was doing this).
Porsche Taycan PSA: Buying a Taycan from warm climate, then taking it into winter 1677331106443

So even though outside temperature was only 29F, nozzles were frozen over. Once I got them defrosted, the OEM Porsche fluid would freeze almost instantly when it landed on the car body.
Porsche Taycan PSA: Buying a Taycan from warm climate, then taking it into winter 1677331158518

The unfortunate thing was that the dealer did not know this. When I asked about it before the trip, I was told they put in Porsche OEM fluid at PDI, which should be fine for winter too. Only after I let them know that it freezes, they dug into it and found out they are only supplied the warm weather version.

So bottom line, if picking up a car in warm climate, insist on anti-freeze washer fluid, tell them to go to Walmart or a local gas station if Porsche won't send them any. I am genuinely surprised that Porsche would do that by the way, since people in warm climates do from time to time drive somewhere colder. At the very least they should have put a sticker, like the tire speed limit one, warning the driver this car is not ready to drive in the winter.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good to know. Love those wheels btw. Don’t know why more CT owners don’t opt for those.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could have just bought HRD Vodka and mixed it in.
Already added maybe a galf gallon of anti-freeze fluid as I was topping it off after driving through warm weather (I took a detour south first before heading home). Apparently it didn’t mix enough in the reservoir, because it still froze.

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
So that explains why the windshield nozzles froze up in a loaner used Cayenne I had in Chicago.... just looked up the carfax on it and it was registered in SoCal initially, ha.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Good to know. Love those wheels btw. Don’t know why more CT owners don’t opt for those.
Those are the BEST wheels in the Taycan range. I wish I could have got them on my saloon/sedan.
Best looking of the 20s by far.
Perhaps not as cool as Mission Es or RS Spyders but none of the hopeless kerbing, hard riding, range reducing, £££$$$$ problems of all the 21s.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Those are the BEST wheels in the Taycan range. I wish I could have got them on my saloon/sedan.
Best looking of the 20s by far.
Perhaps not as cool as Mission Es or RS Spyders but none of the hopeless kerbing, hard riding, range reducing, £££$$$$ problems of all the 21s.
You still can. Porsche sells them separately for any Taycan, SKU9J020OFF (that SKU includes summer tires)

I am planning to use the Offroad Design tires for 3 seasons. For the winter I switch to the ones below, which I also like a lot on the Taycan (just moved my winter tires from the Offroad Design wheels to these, and put factory all-seasons back on the Offroad Design wheels, will put them on in the spring):
Porsche Taycan PSA: Buying a Taycan from warm climate, then taking it into winter 1677401531960

I will replace the center caps with monochrome ones (like the Offroad Design wheels) once I replace the hood badge with monochrome version (anyone who has a a good source for those, feel free to share links here).

Last edited:

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
You still can. Porsche sells them separately for any Taycan, SKU9J020OFF (that SKU includes summer tires)

I am planning to use the Offroad Design tires for 3 seasons. For the winter I switch to the ones below, which I also like a lot on the Taycan (just moved my winter tires from the Offroad Design wheels to these, and put factory all-seasons back on the Offroad Design wheels, will put them on in the spring):
1677401531960.png

I will replace the center caps with monochrome ones (like the Offroad Design wheels) once I replace the hood badge with monochrome version (anyone who has a a good source for those, feel free to share links here).
I know that👍Cheers

I would have taken them as original spec on my old 4S sedan/saloon if I could have.

Looking for 20 winters to change out of sexy/hugely impractical 21 RS Spyders on my GTS

So many cheap aero 20 wheels for sale including on this forum (with better efficiency) for me to buy for winters.
I am too tight for £5k full price set of Off-road design wheels from Porsche