First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I felt this deserved it's OWN post…

Porsche's recommendation (and other EV vendors) to use a Hubbell Commercial quality socket is 100% spot on - excellent advice and should be followed. No question, just do it - do not accept anything less.

if you only do one thing - do THIS thing…it is the best practice and worth following the advice.

Porsche Taycan [PSA for North America] - 1st Priority - home charging setup - demand and specify Hubbell commercial socket receptacle Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 11.22.06 AM

original links below

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222530-0001.pdf

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you do not have a Hubbell socket - yes it's worth swapping it out - it's just not worth it to have a lesser quality socket overheating and melting while you sleep.

get the good stuff!! Swap in the Hubbell equipment even if you have an existing setup.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hubbell socket needs a larger (than normal) diameter face plate and a deeper outlet box than commonly used NEMA 14-50R receptacles. Let your electrician know.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I'm a bit miffed about this. Having spent an inordinate amount of time here reading every.gorram.thread on the topic, I had an electrician come by to add a 240V circuit and a receptacle. I specifically asked for a Hubbell or Bryant, industrial grade one, and offered to procure it myself. I pulled the cover plate today, and it's a Leviton. I'm not sure if I'm madder at Porsche's stonewalling (and stubbornness in fixing it), or not being listened to _as a paying customer_. FFS.

As I understand, it's the unit-to-wall cable; any chance that it can be swapped on the PMC+? I'll change the receptacle to a Hubbell, _and_ I'll get a proper EVSE, but it'd be nice to keep the PMC+ in the car for trips; I don't think I can take the receptacle with me..

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
As I understand, it's the unit-to-wall cable; any chance that it can be swapped on the PMC+?
Not unless you want to DIY it. I was going to do that as a test if I could reproduce the heat issues on the OEM cable, but mine never got excessively hot. I don’t use it on a regular basis either.

I don't think I can take the receptacle with me..
Sure you can. Buy a spare and throw it in the trunk. Or you can carry it around in a Fanny pack. 👍

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Or you could use a proper EVSE which doesn't cook your socket. Curiously, when I installed my first NEMA 14-50 in the garage I put in a cheap Cooper brand I picked up at home depot. IIRC it was $20 with a lockable the metal enclosure. I've been using it for close to a decade now with a $200 40A Tesla mobile connector almost daily (I have an HPWC too, but it's farther to drag the cable so I only plug that in when I need 80A, which is maybe twice a year). After a decade of daily charging at 40A there is no melting on it whatsoever.

To be clear, I am not saying that not to install a ceramic, industrial grade socket, as it's always better, and I will probably put one in my garage since I might want to play with Porsche EVSEs sometimes and don't want to burn the house down. That said, how is it that Tesla first ever iteration of mobile chargers can charge a car for a decade and not melt anything, yet Porsche, German engineering pride, cannot deliver the same? I absolutely get that they built the EVSE on the edge of spec, and that technically they don't violate the code, but why? Porsche EVSEs are large and heavy compared to others, so obviously weight and size reduction was not a high priority goal, even worse if you compare it to other 4.8KW EVSE's which they have become after nerfing.

I sure hope they didn't design the Taycan the same way. "We must nerf the power of the Taycan because we built it to autobahn specs, and it turns out that some US roads are not built up to that spec, and our cars are not built to handle substandard roads".

PS> Each Porsche EVSE should come with an industrial grade, ceramic NEMA 14-50 socket.

Last edited:

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
How much energy is also wasted each time the PMCC is used for hours each day. Must not be a trivial amount of energy to heat plastic beyond its melting point.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How much energy is also wasted each time the PMCC is used for hours each day. Must not be a trivial amount of energy to heat plastic beyond its melting point.
we actually have a pretty good idea…

9.6 kW is the "raw" power feed - and according to my Taycan about 8.86 kW of that "lands" in the battery - what we don't know is how much of the 9.6 - 8.86 (0.74 kW or 750 watts) is "lost" to the vehicle's "overhead" vs. the heat of the thermals for the 10 AWG wire…

in any case the issue is clearly not a short term issue, but rather an accumulated thermal stress over time - as a cheaper socket is repeated heated up and then allowed to cool, rinse later repeat with a cheap socket and the thermal stress caused by the PMC+/PMCC power supply cable (more specfically it's plug "head") transferring heat back into the NEMA socket plastic, that eventually the socket becomes compromised enough to "fail" - leading to the visible melting due to the repeated thermal abuse caused by the Porsche power supply cable - the porsche cable itself is thermally stable and safe but it is not "compatible" with lesser quality components that are not designed to handle hours of 145F (or more) normal operating temperatures day in and day out…for hours at a time.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
As I understand, it's the unit-to-wall cable; any chance that it can be swapped on the PMC+? I'll change the receptacle to a Hubbell, _and_ I'll get a proper EVSE, but it'd be nice to keep the PMC+ in the car for trips; I don't think I can take the receptacle with me..
Upon the recommendation in this and other threads, I'm also upgrading my home 240v charging receptacle to the HBL9450A receptacle.

I'd also like to get a proper EVSE and stop using the Porsche PMCC to charge at home. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good EVSE alternative?

Also, I assume if I install a 3rd party EVSE, then I don't need to upgrade my receptacle to HBL9450A?

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hardwire your EVSE. No need for a plug.
If I go with a plug-in EVSE instead of hardwire setup, should I still upgrade my 14-50 receptacle to commercial/industrial level like the Hubbell?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I go with a plug-in EVSE instead of hardwire setup, should I still upgrade my 14-50 receptacle to commercial/industrial level like the Hubbell?
Yes. Hubbell 14-50R is much more robust than regular receptacles. Charging car is high electrical load which occurs for many hours at a time. Don't cheap out on the supply circuit for it.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd also like to get a proper EVSE and stop using the Porsche PMCC to charge at home. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good EVSE alternative?
My plug-in EVSE is Wallbox Pulsar Plus 40amp. I'm happy with it.
Detailed reviews of EVSEs are on YouTube channel "State of Charge".
Sponsored