PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring) - a must have?

Iceman

First Name
Sander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
My question is whether or not to spec PTV as an option.

The thing is, I have already specced a base Taycan up to 150K€, so I don't mind spending some money on extra's. ?
I'm looking for the best handling experience as I always drive my cars on the limit of their ability (and/or mine). Now the dealer advised against it, as it would not add dramatically to the handling.

So the order is placed for end of September delivery, but I guess there's still time to add PTV.
What do you think? Is PTV a must have or nice to have? What did you order? And how does it work out in practice?
Sponsored

Kryptos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't driven a Taycan w/ and w/o PTV+ to directly compare that in an isolated fashion, so can't answer your question directly.

I did do a very long test drive in a 4S w/o any performance options or Sport Chrono/Sport+. My 4S has Performance Pack (PTV, PDCC, RAS, Chrono) and it feels very different. Steering is much more precise and the car feels supremely planted yet responsive during high-speed cornering. Hard to know how to allocate attribution across those options, but they all seem to work together to produce a meaningful benefit.

It probably makes little noticeable difference with regular or even moderately aggressive driving, and perhaps this is what your dealer meant, but if you plan to regularly drive hard, I would absolutely have PTV+ and PDCC at least. I'm not an engineer, but I strongly suspect that these systems are anything but fluff and are standard on higher end performance-oriented models for a reason.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is PTV+ software based to provide more/less torque on specific wheels or does it have additional mechanical parts?
I know how PTV+ works on the ICE Porsche but they don't have a motor mounted on rear axle, so I am not sure how it works on Taycan.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
PTV+ on Taycan is a mechanical slip differential – same as on other Porsche's. It is not a software only solution. In fact, its very traditional in its setup.
Porsche Taycan PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring) - a must have? Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 19.22.15

edit: prob poor use by me of the word "mechanical" there – what I meant was that there is a "real" differential on the axel – and not just computer controlled braking.

Last edited:

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Having driven a 4S w/o for 5 months, then a Turbo with everything for 8 months, and now a loaner 4S w/o for 3 weeks - I believe I have pretty good experience in both.

You definitely feel the difference! No Q about it.
If it's worth the money - individual decision. If you want the best and money is not an issue - go for it. If you intend on tracking it - go for it. If not... you're very fine without it.
("it" here = PDCC, PTV, RAS).

Since you write " so I don't mind spending some money on extra's" - I think you have your answer.
But your dealer is correct when stating "as it would not add dramatically to the handling."
It does not add anything dramatically. But it does add. And you can feel it.
"I'm looking for the best handling experience as I always drive my cars on the limit of their ability (and/or mine)." Go for it.

As far as I understand it PTV is a software control on the slip of the diff, instead of mechanically equalizing between the axle.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
I have no experience of how the car drives without these options, but I opted for PDCC, PTV+ & RAS and I never cease to be blown away by how wonderful the car is to drive.

My only gripe, after 3000 miles, I’m getting used to the 4S and find it a bit sedate.

The irony, it’s twice as fast to 60 as my last car…
Sponsored