Q. Aircon - Heating & cooling energy use?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
With the weather warming up, today was the first time this year that I needed to turn the aircon on to cool the car down.

It was only about a week ago, I was using the heater to defrost the car.

Angway, it Just got me wondering which uses the most energy (battery) cooling when it's hot, or heating when it's cold?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
With the weather warming up, today was the first time this year that I needed to turn the aircon on to cool the car down.

It was only about a week ago, I was using the heater to defrost the car.

Angway, it Just got me wondering which uses the most energy (battery) cooling when it's hot, or heating when it's cold?
Heating - HV heater + AC Auto

AC in general will use more energy as the compressor is on max throughout

If you're not misting up then use ECO mode if energy use is a concern as this will reduce energy used by the compressor.

You can go ECO Plus to further reduce the compressor energy but no real need to unless you're out of juice.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Interesting read.

I always use Range mode when on a long journey and let the car manage the power draining systems as the battery depletes - lights, AC and so on. Use in conjunction with PIRM and NAV then you'll get great power management and a very accurate estimate of range at your destination.

Most European spec cars have heat pumps as standard - needed for our climate - being an efficient way to heat up the battery amongst other things.

Reactions: B61