Question about 30-min EA free charging ...

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
So Porsche says "Taycan buyers will receive three years of unlimited 30-minute charging at Electrify America locations", but what does that mean, exactly? If you use Plug-and-Charge after registering with Porsche, will the charging stop at 30 minutes automatically and charge you nothing? Or can it continue past 30 minutes and start charging you for the time spent past 30 minutes (and if so, how is the charging done?)? Also, can you stop charging after 30 minutes and then re-start another 30-min free session immediately at the same charger, or at another charger at the same charger station? (i.e., what does the 30 minutes apply to, exactly?)
Sponsored

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
So Porsche says "Taycan buyers will receive three years of unlimited 30-minute charging at Electrify America locations", but what does that mean, exactly? If you use Plug-and-Charge after registering with Porsche, will the charging stop at 30 minutes automatically and charge you nothing? Or can it continue past 30 minutes and start charging you for the time spent past 30 minutes (and if so, how is the charging done?)? Also, can you stop charging after 30 minutes and then re-start another 30-min free session immediately at the same charger, or at another charger at the same charger station? (i.e., what does the 30 minutes apply to, exactly?)
Yes, you get 30 minutes free, and yes, after the 30 minutes you will be charged for anything beyond the 30 if you stay connected.
Also yes - you can stop before 30 and then start another free session!
Only reason I can see for the limit, would be to prevent someone from just "parking" at the station and leave the car for a long time after it finished charging, effectively preventing others from using the charger.:time:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
usually it will continue and charge you.
As for stopping and starting probably not on the same charger, maybe if you moved to a different unit. it isn't really worth the bother, I believe that the few times I've run over I was charged twice, for minimal amounts.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Yes, you get 30 minutes free, and yes, after the 30 minutes you will be charged for anything beyond the 30 if you stay connected.
Also yes - you can stop before 30 and then start another free session!
Only reason I can see for the limit, would be to prevent someone from just "parking" at the station and leave the car for a long time after it finished charging, effectively preventing others from using the charger.:time:
Just to clarify - the first 30 minutes of a charging session are free. After you've consumed 30 free minutes, from a single session or several start-and-stops, you will not receive another free session
for 60 minutes. You cannot simply plug and re-plug every 30 minutes for unlimited free charging

All of this applies to Electrify America in the US, and I believe is also true for Electrify Canada, but I do not know about similar programs in other countries

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
After you've consumed 30 free minutes, from a single session or several start-and-stops, you will not receive another free session
for 60 minutes. You cannot simply plug and re-plug every 30 minutes for unlimited free charging
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but that is not the case for me. I was about to unplug and replug to a different station and the 30min resets with no cooling period in between. Verified with charging transactions in Porsche app that they were all free. No I was not trying to take advantage of it but the chargers had problems.

Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I don't think it works very well...first time I ever used a EA it was free...then last week at another location it charged me...

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
On the road trips I’ve done to LA from SF and back, I’ve never been charged at EA for exceeding the 30-minute limit despite typically leaving the car charging while I have lunch for usually 45-60 minutes. Can’t say why as I fully expected it, but nothing has ever appeared on the credit card EA has on file. Chock it up to luck I guess...

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On the road trips I’ve done to LA from SF and back, I’ve never been charged at EA for exceeding the 30-minute limit despite typically leaving the car charging while I have lunch for usually 45-60 minutes. Can’t say why as I fully expected it, but nothing has ever appeared on the credit card EA has on file. Chock it up to luck I guess...
Has it been 30 days since you did this? For me, it waited for 30 days or so then I received a lump sum charge on my card. Luckily I have only went over few minutes so the total charge was less than $5.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has it been 30 days since you did this? For me, it waited for 30 days or so then I received a lump sum charge on my card. Luckily I have only went over few minutes so the total charge was less than $5.
Yep, it’s been months and I never saw a charge, no pun intended.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but that is not the case for me. I was about to unplug and replug to a different station and the 30min resets with no cooling period in between. Verified with charging transactions in Porsche app that they were all free. No I was not trying to take advantage of it but the chargers had problems.
Same for me. I stop at 29 mins. I unplug and replug at the same charger for another free 30m as suggested by EA customer service. Works great!
Sponsored