TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag
Cuz the b-pillar is rather to the front and makes the entrance a bit narrower.
You almost can't avoid touching the b-pillar so I would prefer plastic over Racetex, just cuz IF it gets scratched it's not that noticable.
You know what I mean?
Maybe try it with a car at your dealer.
Gotcha, thx! Makes sense
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Gotcha, thx! Makes sense
Yeah, in my case, it's one of those intolerable things (and there aren't very many of them in my Taycan, except just this and the trunk beeper).

I first realized it when I was still finalizing my options and took one of my many visits to the dealer (compelled to sit in or test drive them often). I noticed that the floor model I was looking at had scratches on the B pillar, and I tested it by very lightly rubbing my thumbnail across it. It amazingly left a permanent mark (plowed a little furrow in the plastic), even with that gentlest possible test. Those plastic areas are also very hollow-sounding, which I don't like.

The Racetex B pillar option was not offered in the configurator back then, my freeze date was in Jan 21. So, I always figured I'd take it to a good car upholsterer and get it covered with Racetex. Now that it's an official Porsche part, I'm just going to order it and get the official install at Porsche. But, I'll be going to an upholsterer anyway, because the area adjacent to the back seat outboard edge needs it badly, too.

BTW, I figured out what is scratching my B pillar. I'm very careful not to rub against it during entry/egress, but often when I'm belting up or un-belting, the seat belt tongue swings against it, and that definitely leaves scratches. I'm sure the Racetex will be able to handle that much gentle abuse just fine.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Yeah, in my case, it's one of those intolerable things (and there aren't very many of them in my Taycan, except just this and the trunk beeper).

I first realized it when I was still finalizing my options and took one of my many visits to the dealer (compelled to sit in or test drive them often). I noticed that the floor model I was looking at had scratches on the B pillar, and I tested it by very lightly rubbing my thumbnail across it. It amazingly left a permanent mark (plowed a little furrow in the plastic), even with that gentlest possible test. Those plastic areas are also very hollow-sounding, which I don't like.

The Racetex B pillar option was not offered in the configurator back then, my freeze date was in Jan 21. So, I always figured I'd take it to a good car upholsterer and get it covered with Racetex. Now that it's an official Porsche part, I'm just going to order it and get the official install at Porsche. But, I'll be going to an upholsterer anyway, because the area adjacent to the back seat outboard edge needs it badly, too.

BTW, I figured out what is scratching my B pillar. I'm very careful not to rub against it during entry/egress, but often when I'm belting up or un-belting, the seat belt tongue swings against it, and that definitely leaves scratches. I'm sure the Racetex will be able to handle that much gentle abuse just fine.
Rule of thumb. Don't ever valet because they will always scratch the B Pillar.
They are in a rush and they are not aware of the how to enter the Taycan

Last edited:
OP
OP

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Very interesting that you sorted out what was scratching it, I was curious. A shame they couldn’t source more durable materials in a known spot of exposure! Thanks for the added detail. :)

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Very interesting that you sorted out what was scratching it, I was curious. A shame they couldn’t source more durable materials in a known spot of exposure! Thanks for the added detail. :)
Glad to help.

Yes, I agree that this was an unfortunately chosen material, in an area that easily gets so much wear. Luckily, the new Racetex B pillar option provides a welcome solution for my animal-free interior. If you are doing leather, then I suppose you could go with the leather B pillar option?

OP
OP

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Glad to help.

Yes, I agree that this was an unfortunately chosen material, in an area that easily gets so much wear. Luckily, the new Racetex B pillar option provides a welcome solution for my animal-free interior. If you are doing leather, then I suppose you could go with the leather B pillar option?
Yes, I will go with the Racetex option!

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
If money is not the problem, go for it. Looks very exclusive and it is not as dark as the standard headliner.

I have it on my Panamera and love it. Budgetwise we skipped it on the Taycan.

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
A question for those that specced the Race-tex B pillar trim option - does the race-tex cover the door sill area like the leather option does?
Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? 1636866835992

If so, why does the race-tex option cost significantly less than the leather B pillar option? The prices between the 2 are the exact same for all the other trim options except this one.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A question for those that specced the Race-tex B pillar trim option - does the race-tex cover the door sill area like the leather option does?
1636866835992.png

If so, why does the race-tex option cost significantly less than the leather B pillar option? The prices between the 2 are the exact same for all the other trim options except this one.
It's only this B Pillar that is covers in Race Tex instead of plastic
Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? Screenshot_20200402-231658

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
Are you sure? I thought so too until I played around in the configurator.
Without B pillar race-tex:
Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? 1636868025339

With B pillar race-tex:
Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? 1636868052339

It looks noticeable different but I can't tell if the configurator is wrong like it frequently is. Hoping someone with the car can confirm.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Glad I saw this. I have full leather and missed the Race-Tex options. I don't have the glass roof so that would have been a rather large expanse of plastic. I went with the Roof Lining in Race-Tex (Roof, sun visors, upper B-pillars, and A-pillars).

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Is anyone in possession of a vehicle that has the Racetex B-Pillar option? I've only just noticed that- at least on the configurator- it also adds Racetex either side of the rear seats unit. Can anyone please confirm (also that it is added around the sills down to the footwells)?

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne T Coupe, Macan GTS, Taycan GTS
Country flag
For demonstration purposes, here are interior Screenshots with the shadows and blacks tweaked in Photoshop. Hopefully, these images help demonstrate the difference between Race-Tex B-pillars and Non-Race-Tex B-Pillars.
Of course, the Confusurator could still be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time!

I would with some confidence assume that the Race-Tex extends around down and into the cills of the rear Footwell too

Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? WithFront

Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? WithoutFront

Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? WithoutRear

Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? WithRear

jam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, '22 Macan S, Taycan 4S CT ordered
Country flag
I just tried to add Race-Tex B Pillars to my build and got this slightly confusing message:

Porsche Taycan Racetex Headliner - happy with it? A5E420C6-3B2A-4959-BC8A-D1483A1D2D2B

I have the panoramic roof option checked so it doesn’t make sense that I would need the roof lining option in order to add the B Pillars.

Any ideas what’s going on here?
Sponsored