Ramvet

First Name
Lorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 T 4S, 2018 Suzuki 1000 GSX-S
Country flag
Hey @wemct - Thank you very much for doing the legwork to find a good ignition switched 12V power source in the fuse box for your Valentine One G2. I was looking for the right spot for my new V1G2 today and then saw your posts. My 15 year old Valentine One G1 recently left when I sold it with my dearly departed 997 C2S. Want to wire up my white 2021 Taycan 4S. It should be a snap with your guidance.
Sponsored

S0upb0ne

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4 s
Country flag
Successfully have my Uniden R7 hardwired and I want to tap another fuse for for my dashcam.

What empty slot are you guys using for a second tap on the drivers side? And is it ok to ground out the dashcam on the same bolt as the radar?

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
@wemct may know which other fuse slot to tap for a dashcam, since he was the one who did the first “search” that led to the start of this thread and his fantastic instructions from Arafat detector install we’ve all taken advantage of

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
While I don't have an answer for a second fuse on the driver's side (US), look at post #19 from @Lowpue for a dashcam install using a fuse on the passenger side.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
@wemct, I installed my V1 in the 4S today. I've done multiple V1 installs in Porsches and other cars so I have the basic drill down but the hassle for me is usually finding a good switched circuit to use. Your instructions nailed that down perfectly and made the project considerably quicker and easier. Thanks!

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
This week I received my new Valentine 1 Gen 2 radar detector. I wanted to hardwire it, but didn't want to use the mirror tap. I decided to use a fuse tap to power the V2G2. The fuse box is located in the driver's footwell for US cars. Row C, slot 8 is the fuse for the Interior Mirror. The power switches on and off with the "ignition". The pink plastic covers that cover the fuses are a pain to remove. I called the dealership to ask how to remove it. I got a long speech about how it is a high voltage electric car and I shouldn't be touching anything in the fuse box. It was a useless and clueless conversation. I found a black tab at the end of the pink plastic. Even after releasing the tab, it is not easy to remove the pink cover. I broke the tab on row A. It won't make a difference since the fuses are well seated just like every other car.

*EDITED August 1, 2021 - Installation of the fuse tap is still correct, but pic 7 was edited to correct the identification of the load and hot slots/blades of the fuse - thanks @911jeff

Fyi, currently the V1 Gen2 is mounted on the windshield just above the mirror instead of the visor mount in pic 1

Here some pictures

V1G2-4c.jpg
Thanks for the instructions. They worked perfectly. One additional note regarding pulling the pink fuse covers: The pink covers pop off easily if you pry them with a screwdriver blade between the end of the cover and the top of the end fuse (Bottom LEFT the photo you provided)

Davy021

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did anyone get any sort of errors after installing this? I got a “headlight control error” after and didn’t know if it was just a coincidence or not.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did anyone get any sort of errors after installing this? I got a “headlight control error” after and didn’t know if it was just a coincidence or not.
I've had no errors at all since installing my V1 using @wemct's suggestion for the power source. He specified using position C8 in the left hand footwell which controls the interior mirror. Is that the slot you used?

BTW, the left headlights are controlled by slot B10 in the left footwell and the right headlights by slot B4 in the right footwell. Unless you used one of those, I wouldn't think that you should be getting a headlight control error.

Davy021

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ended up wiring to the right lower fuse box on Row B 4 (right headlight electronics). I could not find a slot that would turn off when the car was off other than this.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ended up wiring to the right lower fuse box on Row B 4 (right headlight electronics). I could not find a slot that would turn off when the car was off other than this.
No doubt that explains why you are getting a headlight control error since row B4 in the right footwell does control headlight electronics.

As mentioned earlier, the OP suggested using row C8 in the left footwell which is a switched circuit for the interior mirror. That's the same one that I used. My V1 operates only when the "ignition" is switched on, which is what you're looking for, and has resulted in no error messages.

Your car is a 2020 4S and mine is a 2021 4S, but I'd be a little surprised if the fuse assignments are different and row C8 in the left footwell isn't available for you to use.

Davy021

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree. I'm just used to having my radar on passenger right side. Was hoping someone had found a slot that didn't come up w/an error.

No doubt that explains why you are getting a headlight control error since slot B4 in the right footwell does control headlight electronics.

As mentioned earlier, the OP suggested using slot C8 in the left footwell which is a switched circuit for the interior mirror. That's the same one that I used. My V1 operates only when the "ignition" is switched on, which is what you're looking for, and has resulted in no error messages.

Your car is a 2020 4S and mine is a 2021 4S, but I'd be a little surprised if the fuse assignments are different and C8 in the left footwell isn't available for you to use.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree. I'm just used to having my radar on passenger right side. Was hoping someone had found a slot that didn't come up w/an error.
I get it now. Sorry, can't help with that one.

Davy021

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Removed the connector and error went away from passenger side so need to find a different solution or cave and go driver side. My clip is a visor clip and I hate how I can’t use my visor afterwards.
Sponsored