W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
True, but if the battery is warmed before use the capacity is OK, I think a lot of people don't realise this and so don't do anything about it, despite Porsche including provision to resolve it to a large extent.
Also don't forget the fuel consumption of a normal car is poor for the first 5 to 10 miles in winter as well.
Precisely, but would it not be 'handy' to have a specific battery warming feature than to rely on the limited warming capability of a 'preheat' (using the climate control) and sustain that level whilst connected when home charging and until you next need to use the car?

My experience is generally to leave it to the charging process to condition the car which minimally raises the battery temp during the process (not a lot it has to be said). Charging just now (inside an insulated garage - 6C - 9C to 85% is now resulting in 188 miles (PB+) at the end of the charging cycle which is a big reduction from what I experienced when the ambient was twice that.

It seems (to me) that we are more or less 'stuck' with limited range during certain seasons and just have to get our collective heads around it and not fret too much about it.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Precisely, but would it not be 'handy' to have a specific battery warming feature than to rely on the limited warming capability of a 'preheat' (using the climate control) and sustain that level whilst connected when home charging and until you next need to use the car?

My experience is generally to leave it to the charging process to condition the car which minimally raises the battery temp during the process (not a lot it has to be said). Charging just now (inside an insulated garage - 6C - 9C to 85% is now resulting in 188 miles (PB+) at the end of the charging cycle which is a big reduction from what I experienced when the ambient was twice that.

It seems (to me) that we are more or less 'stuck' with limited range during certain seasons and just have to get our collective heads around it and not fret too much about it.
Range is less of a problem for people living in countries where very long distance journeys are rare though.
I think if I lived in the USA or Australia I wouldn't run an EV, personally, or get much more sensitive to range than I am.

Reactions: B61

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Hi Winge. PB plus . I tend to have the eco mode on all the time as not much call for AC requirements
Bit disappointing you are only getting 160 real world with 2WD and PB+... Familiar with Winter effects in my iPace but even with spirited driving and near zero temps I'm still getting around 155 real world worst case (down from about 200 in summer). Thats with my battery State of Health being around 93% too. Had hoped Taycan would give a bit more real world (especially at speed).

On the plus side, I still normally want to stop before 150 miles driving and am still looking forward to 20mins to 10-80% rather than 50mins.....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Range is less of a problem for people living in countries where very long distance journeys are rare though.
I think if I lived in the USA or Australia I wouldn't run an EV, personally, or get much more sensitive to range than I am.
I guess though that the average miles travelled in a week by a UK driver is significantly less than that of US - 150 / week compared to maybe 240 / week, just because everything in the States is 'bigger' and so the range we get is likely more than we need for day to day usage.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I always preheat my car especially for long journeys & does help with the range.
Did in my previous car the I Pace & difference is noticeable.
My experience: in just few minutes (let's say 3-5) my car is heated ... so I'm not sure why/how would preheating help with the range? After that I'm changing from Normal to Range mode and that's it.
Are you saying that warmer battery will last longer?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My experience: in just few minutes (let's say 3-5) my car is heated ... so I'm not sure why/how would preheating help with the range? After that I'm changing from Normal to Range mode and that's it.
If you can get your battery warmer e.g. 20C - 25C then you can charge to a higher level and therefore get more miles / range from it. Challenge is how to get to that temp when stationary and on charge - a pre-heat will not achieve it during low ambient temperature days. Therein lies the challenge.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have one of the first 4S Std battery cars delivered to the U.K. and when it arrived, November, the range was around 190 miles, but as the months passed I got this up to a max of 245; however, as Winter approaches again, the range has dropped to the 200 mile mark. Temps have been reasonably mild at 5C to 10C.
Using the demisters hammers the range, so I tend to heat the seats and only use the Heaters/AC if absolutely necessary.
Normal driving around the doors I find the range is fine and charging it up on Friday night lasts me for the weekend, but any journeys over a hundred miles each way are inconvenient due to the need to find a decent charger to get you enough miles to get back to your starting point.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
If you can get your battery warmer e.g. 20C - 25C then you can charge to a higher level and therefore get more miles / range from it. Challenge is how to get to that temp when stationary and on charge - a pre-heat will not achieve it during low ambient temperature days. Therein lies the challenge.
Understood.
In most cases, I'm charging at work, in a garage (but "open windows", so the temperature is just few degrees higher than outside). At the end of charging, the battery temperature is between 20-25C, during driving (home), it drops down to 15, 16... depends on circumstances...

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
In my experience pre heat the car for an hour which warms up the both inside & more importantly the battery to an optimum level.
Was told always to do so by Jaguar engineers at their HQ & have carried on to the Taycan. I tend to do long journeys & have found that it does help. Cold batteries will "suck up" more charge & consequently less miles.
This of course is only my opinion & others will have their own views.
Thanks.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Understood.
In most cases, I'm charging at work, in a garage (but "open windows", so the temperature is just few degrees higher than outside). At the end of charging, the battery temperature is between 20-25C, during driving (home), it drops down to 15, 16... depends on circumstances...
Slovenia is clearly warmer / higher ambient temperatures at this time of year (which I find odd) than those of us in the 'Frozen North'!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Slovenia is clearly warmer / higher ambient temperatures at this time of year (which I find odd) than those of us in the 'Frozen North'!
I've never been northern of London, so I don't know ;)
In Slovenia, it depends of the region... near the sea they even don't use/need winter tyres.
I live in the central area, closer to Alps... last few days, we had below zero during nights, something up to +2 during the day.
According to Google, it's +9 in Aberdeen right now, while we have -1...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've never been northern of London, so I don't know ;)
In Slovenia, it depends of the region... near the sea they even don't use/need winter tyres.
I live in the central area, closer to Alps... last few days, we had below zero during nights, something up to +2 during the day.
According to Google, it's +9 in Aberdeen right now, while we have -1...
9C in Aberdeen is a cold 9C (trust me) plus with a gale blowing there's a chill factor too!

I'm due to go to Edinburgh this Saturday and will prep the car to 100% and set the preheat to something ridiculous whilst charging to see if I can max out my range again (if I don't I'll get 215 - 218 miles, so keen to see if I can fool it into being in Florida and get 230!). Should be similar ambient temp to today (so 'nae bad' as we say in these parts).

Ruthi

First Name
Ruthi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan. S x 2
Country flag
Same batteries in all markets. Distinction is simply 'std' or 'performance plus' and in Cross Turismos you don't get the choice as performance plus is std (make of that what you will!).

Key differences in range before any driving takes place (that's a whole new can of worms) is simply the ambient temperature (the colder it is the less range you will have but note that this can change during a journey). In warmer, more humid climbs the range can get up to 340 miles on 100% charge (forum member in Florida) to 275 - 280 miles on 100% charge in UK in summer months (this time of year 3C - 6C - 220 miles tops).

Don't get too caught up on heating the battery - there are specific reasons to do this but for the most part it either happens naturally whilst charging (before use), during a journey, using the NAV to a known charging location, driving like a mad person, or using precool / heat to warm up / cool down the cabin before a journey.
Thank you for the explanation - So today its raining cats and dogs with 100% humidity in the low 60's and will be like it most of the week which is a rarity - when I get home I am going to top off the charge and see if it makes a difference. This is my 4th Taycan 4S and they all seem to charge the same. The first I got in May 2020 that got written off (and no I was not driving it at the time we were parked) - my husband got one he loved mine so much - my one got replaced which I just sold for a nice profit so ordered a new 2022 which arrives next week.
Sponsored