Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Yesterday first time commute with 5c, 70km‘s one way. When back home I avg’ed at 24.2kWh/100km, this is 4s PB+ on 21” RS Spyder

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
The range in winter is ok for a long journey, but it really gets hammered if it is cold and you do lots of short journeys, especially if you add pre heating. I managed to use 6% of my battery charge on 1 pre heat last week when it was -4 outside. The battery was warmed to 12 degrees and I drove for 10 minutes to work. I have stopped using the timer to pre heat when it is below freezing and just start it 10 minutes before I go out.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
My experience is a bit different. Almost two years of ownership, here is what I see with PF+ battery:
Daily commute is 17 miles round trip at average speed of 25 mph. During the summer months I use 6% roundtrip. During the winter with temps between 30f to 45F, I use 9%-10%. With temps at 0F to 20F, 12% to 15% is used, the 15% is with cabin pre-heating for 30 minutes. Note: The first leg of the commute always starts out with battery temp at 50F-55F and Eco is used.

Regular 200 mile round trip with average speed at 45 mph. During the summer months I use 58% - 60% roundtrip. AC setting is used. During the winter with temps between 30F to 45F, I use 77%-81%. With temps at 0F to 20F, 100% to 110% is used. Eco setting is used.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Here's some data from my car in a much milder climate :)

Nonetheless with a year plus of data the winter 'losses' in respect predicted ranges is right on the money re marketing of 10-11%. Of course a ton of variables to consider when comparing like-car setups to different climate and terrains.

Interestingly despite very similar temp ranges the second winter season is seeing a slight improvement in range estimation despite comprising almost entirely short local trip distances.

Porsche Taycan Range in wintertime Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.35 AM

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The range in winter is ok for a long journey, but it really gets hammered if it is cold and you do lots of short journeys, especially if you add pre heating. I managed to use 6% of my battery charge on 1 pre heat last week when it was -4 outside. The battery was warmed to 12 degrees and I drove for 10 minutes to work. I have stopped using the timer to pre heat when it is below freezing and just start it 10 minutes before I go out.
It is not surprising that many short trips will use a lot of battery power. I did a small test the other day when we had about 2 to 4 degrees C outside. I set the battery to charge but also to preheat in about 1.5 hours time. Battery temperature showed 1 degree when I started the session. After about 45 minutes I checked the SoC. To my surprise it showed the same as when I started the session! But the battery temperature had risen to about 14 degrees. The consumption from the charger showed close to 8 kWh.

After about two hours the battery temperature showed 18 degrees and some extra SoC.

I then tried to calculate the amount of energy required to heat the battery about 15 degrees. Assuming the battery weighs 700 kg and assuming the battery has the same specific heat as Lithium, it showed a result of 10 kWh required to heat the battery!! So no wonder winter driving short distances will use a lot of battery charge.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Hello all, I came upon a Norwegian test of the range of EV’s at -19 degrees. It looks as if the Taycan does this quite well with a loss of 11,84%. Maybe our Norwegian drivers can help us with the artical?

https://www.motor.no/aktuelt/motors-store-vintertest-av-rekkevidde-pa-elbiler/217132
that has not been my experience. the first winter that I had the car I saw minimal "cold" days and minimal range loss, this year I have seen a 20% loss of range. I blame that on both the weather and without any facts to support this, the software update. now that the car has been in warm weather for over a month the range has still not returned to "normal"

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Even UK winter weather has an impact (-10% or so) on range. As other posters have noted, most people don't buy Taycan for max efficiency though.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even UK winter weather has an impact (-10% or so) on range. As other posters have noted, most people don't buy Taycan for max efficiency though.
most people do not accept a 20-25% loss of range easily. like I noted I reside in an area with a mild climate and the car still reports only 201 miles at 100% SOC, in the recent past it would show 240+ miles at 100% SOC

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
most people do not accept a 20-25% loss of range easily. like I noted I reside in an area with a mild climate and the car still reports only 201 miles at 100% SOC, in the recent past it would show 240+ miles at 100% SOC
Have you che led the SoH of the battery?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
that has not been my experience. the first winter that I had the car I saw minimal "cold" days and minimal range loss, this year I have seen a 20% loss of range. I blame that on both the weather and without any facts to support this, the software update. now that the car has been in warm weather for over a month the range has still not returned to "normal"
Same here, but our winters are definitelly different then yours.
Last winter almost no difference….while this year -20% (or maybe even more).
Will see if consumption will change in Spring…

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Same here, but our winters are definitelly different then yours.
Last winter almost no difference….while this year -20% (or maybe even more).
Will see if consumption will change in Spring…
we share the same level of range loss and experience year to year, I feel that this is caused by the software update.