Range info for a long winter road trip?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I will be planning a trip to the alps in December.

Anyone who did a long cold trip last winter?

I know the range will go down with decreasing temperatures.

I just wonder if it would be different on a long trip. Once the battery is warmed up it will be kept warm by driving 120-130 Km/h for a longer time. Fast charging a couple of times will warm it up even more and the heat pump can use that to warm in the interior.

A short trip to the slopes at the ski resort at - 10 degrees C without preconditioning will probably reduce the range by half.
Sponsored

KrS

First Name
Kristof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
Also planning to take the Taycan to the snow, so very curious too.
Any info what a roof box does with the range?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This summer I did a long trip to Italy with 4 persons a dog and a roof box. Estimated PIRM rang with destination set on highway 20 inch CT4 normal drive mode 25 degrees outside was around 300-320 km. I stopped to charge 3 times on a 1000 km journey. May need an extra stop this winter.

Fortunately the hotel installed a charger so I can arrive at low SoC and leave 100% and preconditioned.

Reactions: KrS

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
I will be planning a trip to the alps in December.

Anyone who did a long cold trip last winter?

I know the range will go down with decreasing temperatures.

I just wonder if it would be different on a long trip. Once the battery is warmed up it will be kept warm by driving 120-130 Km/h for a longer time. Fast charging a couple of times will warm it up even more and the heat pump can use that to warm in the interior.

A short trip to the slopes at the ski resort at - 10 degrees C without preconditioning will probably reduce the range by half.
Use this website/app to plan the trip: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Be sure to choose your car model and to enter the SOC at which you'd like to arrive...

Last edited:

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
My Taycan mostly got used on ski trips so this question was near and dear to my heart. The answer really depended on how cold it was, how much elevation I had to climb, and how much I ran the heater in the cabin.

In the summer I regularly could get about 300 miles on a full charge. If it was around 10-32 degrees Fahrenheit, I would typically see that range fall to around 225 to 240. If it was at 0 or colder, range would be around 200 miles. If I ran the defrost aggressively, range was even lower, maybe in the 150 to 175 range.

Pay close attention to elevation. A lot of times I would be climbing about 2,500 to 3,000 feet to get to a ski resort and would use up an extra 20% to 25% of my range on the elevation gain. On the way back it was as though I had an extra 20% to 25% in range.

Needless to say, if I had any significant elevation to climb, I was charging whenever I could.

While the ABRP is great, I would say there are limits to it in the winter. Temperatures are unpredictable in the mountains and if it is snowing hard, you may need to run the defrost more. I would plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
My Taycan mostly got used on ski trips so this question was near and dear to my heart. The answer really depended on how cold it was, how much elevation I had to climb, and how much I ran the heater in the cabin.

In the summer I regularly could get about 300 miles on a full charge. If it was around 10-32 degrees Fahrenheit, I would typically see that range fall to around 225 to 240. If it was at 0 or colder, range would be around 200 miles. If I ran the defrost aggressively, range was even lower, maybe in the 150 to 175 range.

Pay close attention to elevation. A lot of times I would be climbing about 2,500 to 3,000 feet to get to a ski resort and would use up an extra 20% to 25% of my range on the elevation gain. On the way back it was as though I had an extra 20% to 25% in range.

Needless to say, if I had any significant elevation to climb, I was charging whenever I could.

While the ABRP is great, I would say there are limits to it in the winter. Temperatures are unpredictable in the mountains and if it is snowing hard, you may need to run the defrost more. I would plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised.
Great info, thanks ! I also use ABRP but for this kind of info it is less useful indeed.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

The numbers you report, is this when you leave with a cold car at home and drive to the resort for lets say 100 miles? Or also for driving 600 miles on the highway at 25 F and charging a couple of times.

I think if I drive around in the skiresort at 10 F the range will be really low but I can charge at the hotel so that’s ok.

I have done some driving in the alps
and it is amazing how accurate the range estimate is even with serious elevation difference.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag

Assuming my Taycan arrives in time I'm planning to take it to the Alps in December and have been looking at ABRP which seems to adjust quite well. There is an IONITY near Albertville and from there to the resort it assumed 40% or so for 90kms in December on Winters but then only 9% going back down to the same spot. Temperature and snow obviously could impact that but it sounds about right.

The slog from Calais, 1,001kms door to door, I'm hoping for 300kms+ at GPS 130-140 making the 3rd and final stop at Albertville. I am approaching it as a test as opposed to my usual target of sub 8 hours, without the dog, the dog makes the EV charging stops far more useful.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but braced for a day of irritation 🤞

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
A week after picking up my Taycan I will visit my daughter in Anglesey.

I am anticipating the journey taking longer but being more comfortable than in our Prius PHEV.

I was not planning to fit winter tyres until it got cold enough but it looks like it will now, though I do want to drive a while on the 21” tyres to get a baseline efficiency (probably won’t get long enough) and ride before fitting the 20” winters. Maybe I’ll do it before we go
To stick to the route I favour looks like stopping at Porsche Solihull for a bit of a charge and a farm shop at Corwen on the A5 to make sure I have a fair bit of charge before getting on the island.

We will see, I am not sure a long trip in cold weather on 21” wheels is the best way for the car to endear itself.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
The slog from Calais, 1,001kms door to door, I'm hoping for 300kms+ at GPS 130-140 making the 3rd and final stop at Albertville. I am approaching it as a test as opposed to my usual target of sub 8 hours, without the dog, the dog makes the EV charging stops far more useful.
Taycan saloon 4S battery + on 21 wheels.
I just made a roadtrip last weekend: i get around 320km of highway range at 140-150 km/h with 7°C outside, a little rain sometimes, AC on eco, lights on, range mode (capped at 150 to save my driving licence) so ou should be good for 300+

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I just made a roadtrip last weekend: i get around 320km of highway range at 140-150 km/h with 7°C outside, a little rain sometimes, AC on eco, lights on, range mode (capped at 150 to save my driving licence) so ou should be good for 300+
Thank you, that's really useful to know.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
On my summer road trips range mode and eco AC only made a little difference. Is the difference more in winter?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
A week after picking up my Taycan I will visit my daughter in Anglesey.

I am anticipating the journey taking longer but being more comfortable than in our Prius PHEV.

I was not planning to fit winter tyres until it got cold enough but it looks like it will now, though I do want to drive a while on the 21” tyres to get a baseline efficiency (probably won’t get long enough) and ride before fitting the 20” winters. Maybe I’ll do it before we go
To stick to the route I favour looks like stopping at Porsche Solihull for a bit of a charge and a farm shop at Corwen on the A5 to make sure I have a fair bit of charge before getting on the island.

We will see, I am not sure a long trip in cold weather on 21” wheels is the best way for the car to endear itself.
Congrats on collecting your car! Long wait wasn’t it. Is it everything you expected?

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
On my summer road trips range mode and eco AC only made a little difference. Is the difference more in winter?
Range mode is noticeable but not by a huge margin i think (sitting slower with aero helps) but for me AC eco or not isn't a game changer in winter but i got a heat pump so maybe that's another story if it is not specced :rolleyes:. We need some Taycan's experts insights about the heatpump gain ;)

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Assuming my Taycan arrives in time I'm planning to take it to the Alps in December and have been looking at ABRP which seems to adjust quite well. There is an IONITY near Albertville and from there to the resort it assumed 40% or so for 90kms in December on Winters but then only 9% going back down to the same spot. Temperature and snow obviously could impact that but it sounds about right.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but braced for a day of irritation 🤞
ABRP is quite conservative. The PCM does a much better job for range. I use ABRP to plan and know where all chargers are.

If you enter the same destination in PCM it will be more accurate and will need less charges. Downside is you can only simmulate the trip starting at home and with the current SoC.

the route planner in the Porsche app is also quite conservative

The problem around Christmas can be the queues at chargers when traveling on a Saturday. France has much less chargers than Germany. Although on the Autoroute du Soleil it looks better know.

we also have a dog to and like you mention the stops every 2-3 hours where welcome. Walking the dog, having a coffee and a sanitary stop and charging was complete. He is not coming either this winter.
Sponsored

Last edited: