Range Mode Speed Limiting Issue

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
It's been reported on here before but I thought due to last nights reoccurrence on my car, it warranted a new post.

Going back 2 1/2 months ago or so, I used range mode quite a bit and I had set the max speed to 75mph. All was good until one day I switched over to range mode (travelling around 70) and all of a sudden the car started slowing down (kind of like braking). Thankfully there was no one behind me and I quickly realised range mode was reporting a max speed of 55mph! As soon as I switched back to Normal mode, the car started behaving normally again. Back then, this issue randomly occurred around 6ish times during a 2 week window. My dealer did look at my car, but sadly to no avail.

All has been fine for the last 10 weeks or so, until last night on my way home I discovered the range mode issue had reappeared. This morning on the way to work, range mode was fine again!

This is what I've found.
  • The issue is random, it doesn't happen for every journey.
  • This issue only limits the car to 55. All other aspects of the car are fine i.e. accelerating, braking, PCM etc.
  • I suspect this issue is due to range mode not properly loading upon start-up. Reason for this is because when the issue occurs, I'm unable to access the settings for Range mode. The settings are greyed out and when I press on them, it comes back with Function not available (see pic). In addition, I believe 55mph is the default speed range mode is configured for.
  • I have not experienced range mode operating fine on a journey and then suddenly defaulting to 55.
  • The issue doesn't go away until the car has been turned off for sometime.
  • The issue only affects range mode, switching back to any other mode removes the speed limit.
  • While in range mode, I discovered you can press heavily down on the throttle peddle (which still overrides the speed limit). As soon as you completely release the throttle, the car will drop back to 55.
As mentioned, my dealer wasn't able to give any insight. My car is going in soon for some new door cards (rattle issue) and I'll mention it to them again.

Porsche Taycan Range Mode Speed Limiting Issue rangemode
Sponsored

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How many profiles/Porsche Accounts have you added? Do you use the same key every time? The key is connected to an account and the corresponding profile is loaded "from the cloud", but perhaps there is some fallback to the key if a profile can't be loaded via LTE. If so, perhaps each key has a slightly different fallback?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I read somewhere that the level of charge has something to with it.
Maybe even Intelligent Range Manager/navigation?
Maybe there's a pattern that you're not aware of...
I never drive in Range mode cuz it messes up my Airco setting which, randomly, stays at Eco while in Normal drive mode (which heavily affect the precondition when using a timer).
Just my €0,02.

OP
OP

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
How many profiles/Porsche Accounts have you added? Do you use the same key every time? The key is connected to an account and the corresponding profile is loaded "from the cloud", but perhaps there is some fallback to the key if a profile can't be loaded via LTE. If so, perhaps each key has a slightly different fallback?
I've just got one user profile and I always use the same key. The other key is spare and never used.

OP
OP

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
I read somewhere that the level of charge has something to with it.
Maybe even Intelligent Range Manager/navigation?
Maybe there's a pattern that you're not aware of...
I never drive in Range mode cuz it messes up my Airco setting which, randomly, stays at Eco while in Normal drive mode (which heavily affect the precondition when using a timer).
Just my €0,02.
Interesting about the charge level. It was 82% when I departed. The Nav wasn't used because I was travelling from work to home. TBH, I never use Range mode either because the bulk of my trips are just 33 miles.
Cheers for the preconditioning tip, it never crossed my mind it would use ECO mode, if ECO mode was the mode for Normal.

Reactions: Dee

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I regularly use Range when "commuting". I have had the top speed drop to 55 MPH during a drive using Innodrive. It appeared to happen when my range remaining dropped below 250 miles. Later in the trip the top speed returned to 70 MPH.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Several months ago I thought I had established a connection between the setting for consumption units in the trip computer settings and this exact symptom. If using a consumption unit where energy is in the denominator (e.g. miles per kWh), if for some reason the energy used measurement gets zeroed out, that's when I saw range mode want to slow me way down. Switching to a consumption unit with energy in the numerator (e.g. kWh per 100 miles), the problem went away. Now it's inconceivable to me as a software engineer that this could be a real problem so it could be purely coincidental. But give it a try - switch your consumption units to kWh per 100 miles.

OP
OP

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Several months ago I thought I had established a connection between the setting for consumption units in the trip computer settings and this exact symptom. If using a consumption unit where energy is in the denominator (e.g. miles per kWh), if for some reason the energy used measurement gets zeroed out, that's when I saw range mode want to slow me way down. Switching to a consumption unit with energy in the numerator (e.g. kWh per 100 miles), the problem went away. Now it's inconceivable to me as a software engineer that this could be a real problem so it could be purely coincidental. But give it a try - switch your consumption units to kWh per 100 miles.
Cheers, I'll give it a try the next time it happens.

Hopefully the next big update will resolve the issue if my dealer is unable to resolve the issue.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have Innodrive or ACC by chance?

I've done thousands of miles using Range mode without the slightest issue but I don't have Innodrive/ACC/Intelligent Range Manager.

OP
OP

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Do you have Innodrive or ACC by chance?

I've done thousands of miles using Range mode without the slightest issue but I don't have Innodrive/ACC/Intelligent Range Manager.
Nope on both.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Mine does this too, I posted a while back.it just seems random and not linked to nav or innodrive setting. It goes away after a power down but it’s a bit strange.

never had the dealer look because I am sure they will be clueless. Just need to wait for more software revisions to come out. I just switch to normal mode and press on.

all of these issues add character to the car, what would we talk about on this forum if everything was perfect !

OP
OP

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
just switch to normal mode and press on.

all of these issues add character to the car, what would we talk about on this forum if everything was perfect !
lol, very true! my PCM froze yesterday, so hopefully the next big update will resolve of these loose ends. :cool: :CWL:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine does this too, I posted a while back.it just seems random and not linked to nav or innodrive setting. It goes away after a power down but it’s a bit strange.

never had the dealer look because I am sure they will be clueless. Just need to wait for more software revisions to come out. I just switch to normal mode and press on.

I agree the dealer will be clueless but if you don't report the issue to the dealer the headquarters will have limited visibility and it is unlikely it will ever be fixed.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So this happened to me today. My range mode is limited to 55 mph max and the "Range Drive Mode Configuration" doesn't even appear in the menu, even when I switch to range mode.

On the bright side, I've yet to see any data that range mode actually gives significant efficiency gains. I'm pretty sure you can drive in Sport w/ suspension Low and AC on Eco with about the same efficiency. Maybe a slight loss, .5 to 1 kWh/100 mi, in my experience.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So this happened to me today. My range mode is limited to 55 mph max and the "Range Drive Mode Configuration" doesn't even appear in the menu, even when I switch to range mode.

On the bright side, I've yet to see any data that range mode actually gives significant efficiency gains. I'm pretty sure you can drive in Sport w/ suspension Low and AC on Eco with about the same efficiency. Maybe a slight loss, .5 to 1 kWh/100 mi, in my experience.
I had this happen once before, at the same time (coincidentally, or as a result of) the consumption info in the trip computer was zeroed out for some reason. Changing the consumption from mi/kWh to kWh/100 mi may or may not have made the problem go away.

Supposedly, in range mode the rear motor is de-clutched from the rear wheels until regen is needed. Only the front motor is used to maintain speed. Less resistance, more efficient. No idea how much of a gain this actually represents.

I also think the PDCC / PASM controls are reduced or turned off (some message in the car gave me this idea) so that might also contribute to better range.

Range mode also switches to Eco on the AC - but you can of course do that manually.
Sponsored