First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
So has anyone driven in Range mode yet?

After weeks of driving the car like a stole it and multiple launches I did a 60 trip on a motorway the other day and to try it out I put on the cruise control at 70MPH and turned on Range Mode. The car dropped to lowest suspension setting and just glided along the motorway effortlessly. It was a very comfortable ride.

However, I did not see a remarkable improvement in the range at all. SO, when does range mode work well, is it more during intercity driving or motorway driving?
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Range mode is for motorway.
The Taycan isn't very efficient in the city but makes that up on the motorway.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Ok thanks. Seems to be a bit gimmicky as did not do anything for the range except make the range value go up by 5 miles when I changed it over.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Range Mode Comments (sadly only from reading a I have not received vehicle yet :rolleyes:):
Actual owners feel free to critique me! ;)
  1. You can change the default 90kph/55mph up to 140kph/85mph via PCM.
  2. It dampens the throttle response to stretch efficiency.
  3. It lowers the suspension to improve arrow-dynamics.
  4. You can floor the accelerator peddle and it will drop out of range mode to make a pass or get out of a sticky situation.
  5. Changs AC to Eco mode.
  6. Note: The max speed can be re-adjusted dynamically by the vehicle if you are trip planning with the charging planner if it feels you need to stretch a bit to make the next charger.
    Also can adjust AC to Eco+ mode.
  7. Warning: when getting off motorway as the suspension is lowered so speed bumps or curbs may be a challenge.
  8. It's not magical on producing 50 miles additional range; however, if it changes your mindset and style of driving it may very well produce 30 more miles or more.
  9. Will avoid using low gear on rear motor.
  10. Will switch to front wheel drive at constant speed (thanks @wemct and @svp6)

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
For me it was about 10% improvement in consumption - from around 332 Wh/mi in normal range to 299 Wh/mi under very similar conditions (73 mph, about 85F). This is significant when driving long distance. Will see what impact it has in winter, although with the range now clearly around 300 miles I think my 180 mile round trip will not be an issue at all in cold weather.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
If I recall correctly, in Range mode only the front motor was operating when I was driving on the interstate.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
If I recall correctly, in Range mode only the front motor was operating when I was driving on the interstate.
On highway at steady speed it is only the front engine. However, when you stop it will engage the rear engine then as you accelerate switch to front.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Range mode also raises the tail spoiler to give better aerodynamics.

Sport Plus mode raises the spoiler to a different angle for increased downforce.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag

Sport Plus mode raises the spoiler to a different angle for increased downforce.
Thank you for this info

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

Anyone with a couple of friends (a 2nd car driver & a videographer) who can verify this ? I’m making assumptions that the positions are different. The dashboard icons show that they both raise the tail. But I can’t see it while driving!!!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone with a couple of friends (a 2nd car driver & a videographer) who can verify this ? I’m making assumptions that the positions are different. The dashboard icons show that they both raise the tail. But I can’t see it while driving!!!
A GoPro with a good suction Mount is what you need Don. ;)

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,

here is what you can get at when hypermiling in range mode. This is boring kind of driving on my "Local Loop" in Munich, i.e. starting and finishing at 0km/h at the same spot, almost no traffic lights (1?), going almost exclusively over motorways and roads-leading-to-motorways, up and down a mini bridge a little bit, some turns, sometimes going a bit faster (85 km/h) to maintain an average of 75km/h. In the end, the average dropped to 73, but only due to the final kilometer's speedlimit.

Result: 14.4 kWh/100 km equivalent to 23.2 kWh/100 miles.

OAT 19° C, night time (= lights on), very little wind, air conditioner off.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: Does anybody have a guess how much energy the lights consume? I.e. if I'd do the same Local Loop at daytime, how big would the effect be?

Porsche Taycan Range Mode? T4S_RangeMode_14.4kWh_20200704

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Henrik @HK111 That's crazy good efficiency 4.3mi/kw at 46mph for such a heavy car with 20" wheels. That's like 388miles/625km on a charge. This reminds me of the old Tesla Bjorn (Nyland) videos where he drove like 27mph which is standard EV optimal efficiency all night :oops: .

I used to watch those when I was first getting the EV bug.

I meant to add that the headlights on my bolt are about 200 Watts and they are LED but not nearly as sophisticated as the portion ones
Looking at your distance and efficiency that would be 3.48kWh used and the lights for 19min would be 0.06kWh so less than 2%.

Last edited:

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

thanks Ron for the consumption numbers on the lights! The range numbers you gave are for nominal capacity of the battery, not the net capacity, right?

To verify the numbers from yesterday night, I drove the local loop again today. We had probably 17° C OAT, little wind, dry conditions, daylight, range mode, A/C off. Again, the goal was to get 75km/h on average, which required some stretches of doing 85km/h. I was lucky with the one traffic light - it turned green while I was rolling towards it.

Result: 15.2 kWh/100km equivalent to 24.5 kWh/100 miles or 4.1 miles per kWh.

For fun, I also drove the loop again in sport-mode and going as fast as legally possible (with a margin of +15 km/h).
Result: 31.5 kWh. If there were more stretches without speed limits, the consumption would have been more, of course.

Cheers,
Henrik

Porsche Taycan Range Mode? T4S_LocalLoop_15.2kWh_20200705

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello there,

thanks Ron for the consumption numbers on the lights! The range numbers you gave are for nominal capacity of the battery, not the net capacity, right?
You are very welcome Henrik, I must live vicariously through your travels. :cool:

The total range was based on my estimate of 90kWh usable in the Taycan battery. This is based in recent videos I have seen in the last 3 or 4 months showing Porsche seems to have unlocked more battery than was the case in the September/October 2019 press runs.
Sponsored