RANT + How Much is Too Much?

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 CRV, 2020 Highlander, 2023 Taycan 4s incoming
Country flag
Hi all. I've been scouring these forums for quite some time and decided to post for the first time. Part of this will be ranting at the current situation I'm in because it's going to have to be my therapy. I need a calm way to deal with this as I am an impatient person!!! The other part is a legitimate question although I realize there won't be a "right" answer.

Ok, so I'm pissed. I put my deposit down in July 2022, got my allocation in December 2022, and my build was completed February 15th. You all probably know where I'm going with this, but I was originally slated to receive my car this week, and now it's been bumped all the way back to August due to heater issues. First off, I'm in the southern United States. I don't need a heater until November! Of course, my SA has very little information and this whole situation is frustrating beyond belief given how much money I'm trying to give them. I just hate that I'm seeing folks already receive their cars who had them built after me. Great for you guys, no hating there! I just don't understand how Porsche is deciding who gets their cars and who doesn't. The customer experience on this is horrible.

Anyways, as a result, I'm planning on calling up my SA tomorrow and asking if I can cancel my existing order and just put in for a new order. These forums have been the source of many restless nights because you all have me wanting features I never thought about during my initial lock in. But now my very reasonable wife-friendly 4S 2023 order has gone from $138,350 USD to $156,380 :-0!!! Is this too much for a 4S? I've priced out the GTS, but honestly I don't like the sportier look or the race-tex so I'd be replacing all of that, and nothing else in the GTS is appealing to me. I'm never going to track it and I drive my kids all over the place. I just have this nagging feeling I'm spending way too much topping out the 4S and I should be looking at another trim.

Anyone else spend that much on a 4S? Here are my builds:

Original Build Sitting in a Lot Somewhere

Possible New Build That Is Much Pricier
Sponsored

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I'm in exactly the same position. My car is sitting in a field with no heater so I'm in process of cancelling my order and finding another allocation.

It's a total disgrace. Porsche don't care about their customers.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Before you leap you may want to consider that Porsche has announced that there will be significant mid year price increases. You may very well end up paying the same for less.

I have no clue how allocations convert to rationed builds and delivery, but it seems like there is no logic that I can observe. Knowing Porsche (as I do), I am sure they have a reason.

OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm in exactly the same position. My car is sitting in a field with no heater so I'm in process of cancelling my order and finding another allocation.

Kev946, I'd love to hear if you end up getting an allocation soon or if they put you in the "back of the line"... The idea of taking a car that's been sitting idle for 6 months makes me nervous. I don't even let ICE cars sit around that long...

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Kev946, I'd love to hear if you end up getting an allocation soon or if they put you in the "back of the line"... The idea of taking a car that's been sitting idle for 6 months makes me nervous. I don't even let ICE cars sit around that long...
Exactly. This is my argument for cancelling my order. I'm in France and I know of available allocations so we will see how this goes. I assume you are in the US?

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Hi all. I've been scouring these forums for quite some time and decided to post for the first time. Part of this will be ranting at the current situation I'm in because it's going to have to be my therapy. I need a calm way to deal with this as I am an impatient person!!! The other part is a legitimate question although I realize there won't be a "right" answer.

Ok, so I'm pissed. I put my deposit down in July 2022, got my allocation in December 2022, and my build was completed February 15th. You all probably know where I'm going with this, but I was originally slated to receive my car this week, and now it's been bumped all the way back to August due to heater issues. First off, I'm in the southern United States. I don't need a heater until November! Of course, my SA has very little information and this whole situation is frustrating beyond belief given how much money I'm trying to give them. I just hate that I'm seeing folks already receive their cars who had them built after me. Great for you guys, no hating there! I just don't understand how Porsche is deciding who gets their cars and who doesn't. The customer experience on this is horrible.

Anyways, as a result, I'm planning on calling up my SA tomorrow and asking if I can cancel my existing order and just put in for a new order. These forums have been the source of many restless nights because you all have me wanting features I never thought about during my initial lock in. But now my very reasonable wife-friendly 4S 2023 order has gone from $138,350 USD to $156,380 :-0!!! Is this too much for a 4S? I've priced out the GTS, but honestly I don't like the sportier look or the race-tex so I'd be replacing all of that, and nothing else in the GTS is appealing to me. I'm never going to track it and I drive my kids all over the place. I just have this nagging feeling I'm spending way too much topping out the 4S and I should be looking at another trim.

Anyone else spend that much on a 4S? Here are my builds:

Original Build Sitting in a Lot Somewhere

Possible New Build That Is Much Pricier
I was in a similar situation as far as deciding on the trim level but then I wanted all things and my 4S went into the same territory as yours with pretty much all the options you chose but no deviated stitching. I decided against it and leaped to a Turbo because my preferences do not align with the GTS trim as I want to be true to the trim exclusive bits as much as possible. I had to take a second job to pay for the difference. That was my way of getting a no compromise build as I do not want to regret not having an option on something like this. Also, as part of this I am mentally set to wait to whatever it takes. I placed the order as soon as 2023 was open (May 2022), got a call on allocation that was not even mine as it was a dealer swap (Jan 2023), now I reached a freeze point (March 2023), but when I get it, who knows. However, I am of the same opinion that 2024 will be much more expensive with no value benefit. I hope that helps you a little. Best of luck on your decision.

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Ordering a premium brand automobile is never simple. It takes time and lately, it seems that something can go wrong, it will, resulting in delays. I.e. Felicity Ace, Wars and Heaters.

Try to hang in there, and maybe consider purchasing a “Tweener” or in between car to hold you over.

OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly. This is my argument for cancelling my order. I'm in France and I know of available allocations so we will see how this goes. I assume you are in the US?
Yes, in North Carolina in the US. I have two dealerships nearby. I will try the other larger one if my closest one can't get me an allocation.

OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ordering a premium brand automobile is never simple. It takes time and lately, it seems that something can go wrong, it will, resulting in delays. I.e. Felicity Ace, Wars and Heaters.

Try to hang in there, and maybe consider purchasing a “Tweener” or in between car to hold you over.
Heh, I'm driving a 2008 CR-V and decided to treat myself to the Porsche. I've been super conservative and after years of investing in property and stocks, this will be my first car I've ever bought myself (always buy cars for other people). I had such high excitement turn to frustration but I'll keep hanging in there! There really isn't any other car I'd want. I'm just trying to decide if I'm spec'ing out the 4S too high and the GTS would be a better deal.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag

So you give up your current car order and replace it with another that will sit in a field when the heater/stereo or some other component is in short supply....

Porsche have been piss poor at getting on top of this stuff...but while ever people continue to put up with it, they have little incentive to do anything different (crikey, they're even talking big price hikes!).

It's a daily hack. A very good one. But it's not that special. Bin it off and buy something else :)

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm seriously thinking of a used car. At least that will be ab available car

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Heh, I'm driving a 2008 CR-V and decided to treat myself to the Porsche. I've been super conservative and after years of investing in property and stocks, this will be my first car I've ever bought myself (always buy cars for other people). I had such high excitement turn to frustration but I'll keep hanging in there! There really isn't any other car I'd want. I'm just trying to decide if I'm spec'ing out the 4S too high and the GTS would be a better deal.
I've sold a 2004 X5 as the Taycan should be here.

I'd say go for a GTS.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
If you cancel your order and re-order, you're just paying more money as Porsche has already said they're going to increase prices this year.

You guys are reading way too much into "letting cars sit around for a long time" thing. 99% of people in america buy cars that are already on the dealer lot, and the discounted ones you buy at the end of the year have been sitting on that lot for months. There are 2022 Taycans in dealer inventory sitting on lots that haven't been sold yet. They all still come with the same warranties. I dont get the obsession with getting a factory fresh car.

It honestly sucks with all the delays, i get it. I was supposed to get my car in April and now its looking like June. But lets not let impatience force us to make rash decisions like paying $$$$$$$$ when we dont have to.

If you absolutely can't wait, then just grab an inventory Taycan somewhere or even an e-tron GT which is basically a Taycan with an audi badge on it and a slightly improved infotainment system.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
Since my delivery is still in limbo and I'm sure you've already read all the rest of the rantings, I'll chime in on the trim stuff. I too worried that I over-specced a 4S, but mostly because of the chatter I read here and talk of resale. As far as resale, that's off the table. If I'm building a pink and purple car with wood paneling the idea of stressing over what some random stranger may or may not want 5-10 years down the line cannot be my concern.

As far as price/value I did have a last-minute moment of "Oh no maybe it should have been a GTS!!" and then during my worries about a possible very long delay on my already built 4S I started tinkering around with "What if I had to cancel, would I go for the GTS..." But honestly, it sounds like my preferences are much like your wife's (who honestly I originally thought was making the post 😄 ). My "dream" cars were always a Porsche 911 or a Lexus LCxxx. I like sporty, fun, and classy (in my own spin on it, at least). I like comfortable, and now that I'm getting to the age where LASIK doesn't do a damn thing for my raging astigmatism my night vision sucks.

So my 4S ended up at around $147k because I wanted the bright and responsive matrix headlights, the night vision assist, and whatever little tech helpers whose benefit to me is still TBD. There's really very little in the GTS and Sport packages that I would appreciate. Now, I have a custom Queen bed in Alcantara fabric from France which no matter how fat we eventually get, I will not trade for a King! But I need leather in my car. Originally I was going to skip rear-axle steering, but after test driving it I realized that would be a BIG mistake. Also considering my history of driving straight into my garage door frame the first week I get a new car, it was a must-add.

So I say get the car you love and that you feel is the right price and value to YOU. Am I making a huge mistake I'll never recover from? Who knows. I've made it this far. Just let your wife pick evvvvverything she wants and you can't go wrong!
And so sorry about your delay. I'm just pacing here, waiting for a TYD update any hour/day now where my En route to dealer goes from 3/25 to Christmas.

Last edited:

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I bought a used, might as well have been new '22 4S with 1700 miles, and the previous owner optioned it up the wazoo (race tex roof, pillars, performance package)--it was basically a Turbo S without the bigger motor and PCCBs. So, original sticker was close to 160k. If this isn't going to be your last Taycan (most likely not), my advice is to option only what you think is necessary. You'll find out quickly from driving time and reading the forums what options you don't need, and what you will want for your next Taycan build.

There are options some say you can do without, but a lot of them are those "you don't need it unless you've had it." For example, for my next build there's no way I can do without RAS, PDCC Sport, PTV+, and dare I even say Burmester...
Sponsored