Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
So my dealer is getting fitted out for power right now. 3 x 50kw customer chargers, free for customers use. A 270kw is being fitted in workshop for completing PDI etc. I’m surprised they think rapid charging a new car is a good idea! I’ll be politely asking them to AC charge mine for PDI. Imho, anything over 50kw isn’t great for the battery.
Sponsored

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
didnt know rapid charging a new ev was a bad idea.. can you elaborate?

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Battery degradation is a natural process. Over time the battery will not have the same capacity as when new, charging quickly is also a factor, so the faster you stick juice in the chemistry is effected. That all said there are worst things you can do, like run it flat or leave it at 100% over a few days etc. So for the majority that AC charge overnight, use DC only when we need to it’s all good. My thoughts are why would you rapid charge it when you can AC charge it nice and slow especially since it’s new.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't believe that rapid charging that one time at the dealer is going to cause any noticeable problem. If it did, Porsche has a huge problem on their hands.

From your link...

The upshot of all this is that rapid battery degradation is not a significant issue for the vast majority of EV drivers. You can worry about it if you want, but on the overall scale of things that should concern you, it is about 437th on the list.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’d agree, it’s not a huge problem. I just want to look after the battery. But like getting a new iPhone and rapid charging it with the iPad charger. Don’t get me wrong, when I’m low on juice and need to I will...

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
didnt know rapid charging a new ev was a bad idea.. can you elaborate?
it’s not bad, but it is slightly harder on the battery than more gradual ac charging. if you only ever do high speed rapid charging, which would be weird but some Tesla folks have done it For Science! (kidding, no idea why) then the battery will age faster. But we’re talking about effects that take years to see.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I like Science. I think I’ll experiment. Hold my beer while I do some Science.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't believe that rapid charging that one time at the dealer is going to cause any noticeable problem. If it did, Porsche has a huge problem on their hands.

From your link...
I’d agree, it’s not a huge problem. I just want to look after the battery. But like getting a new iPhone and rapid charging it with the iPad charger. Don’t get me wrong, when I’m low on juice and need to I will...
I was concerned because I am picking mine up from the dealer and driving 700 miles home using D.C. Fast chargers, from the article I don't see it as an issue, nice read though.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was concerned because I am picking mine up from the dealer and driving 700 miles home using D.C. Fast chargers, from the article I don't see it as an issue, nice read though.
I am doing the same as you. Plenty of people take 700 mile trips. It is more likely an issue if it is something one frequently does.

I don’t know but hope to figure out if I can use a lower rate at the dc chargers for those times when i am taking a longer break.