AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
A couple of Saturdays ago my car was parked where I work, under a building in Bellevue, out of site from the main road. Twenty-five mins after I parked someone smashed my driver's and the rear passenger window. The Porsche app sent a notiffication to my phone, but as I was in a meeting I didn't see it until about twenty minutes later - unfortunately I didn't hear the car alarm. When I saw the notification, I ran down to find this. Not sure if it was about stealing the car? Thinking there might be something inside (I never leave anything visible in the car), or just someone proving that some humans are not yet far enough from primordial slime and just out smashing windows for fun.

Thankfully other than the top trim piece and two windows, there was no damage. Though as you can imagine I spent a few hours vacuuming glass everywhere. It's getting fixed so in a day or so, this will mostly be a bad memory. I'm taking steps to inscrease security around the building and in the car, which I know is but a higher deterrent, not a solution. All I can do is try to gain back some peice of mind.

My main intention in posting this.. when I was at the dealer someone mentioned that mine was the fourth Taycan in a week. Wanted to at least give everyone a heads up.

Porsche Taycan Rash of Smashed Taycan Windows Taycan_drivers_side1
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
A total w@nker smashed the rear windscreen on both my cars, no doubt looking to see if anything was in the boots (trunk). Clearly they couldn't get past the parcel shelf in the CT, not that there was anything under it.

Anyway, my glass completely shattered and fell in - maybe weaker laminate than front windscreen or side windows, or maybe your insulated glass holds together better. One of the biggest issues was a lot of the little chunks of glass fell down both being the door cards but worse inside the panel too. Sounded like a maraca raising/lowering the back door. No way to get a vacuum in (or any other way to access) to clear that. I had my body shop spray adhesive inside the panel via the small clip holes in the panel. That captured nearly all fo the debris and now i only occasionally notice the odd bit rattle when opening the rear door. Worth bearing in mind as a fix if some glass ends up inside panel of yours. good luck.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
First of all. Very sorry to hear and see that.

Some people are just... ugh...

Maybe chopping off hands like in the 14th century for stealing should have never been banned.

Second thought: dashcam?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I think it's just an attempt to break into the car.
When he/she/it discovered it was laminated it gave up.
Those junks often are in a hurry.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Maybe chopping off hands like in the 14th century for stealing should have never been banned.
dashcam would probably be stolen!?!
in big US cities, police depts. don't have time to investigate vandalism...

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
yeah, probably useless in this scenario except personal curiosity knowing it was a random thief and not an unsatisfied employee taking revenge on boss's car 😂

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yikes! What’s the point being made here?

From the pictures it doesn’t look like they actually broke through the glass. Is that true? I’ve never checked, but I think all the glass is laminated and therefore will not shatter.

OP
OP
AyTifosi

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First of all. Very sorry to hear and see that.

In one of my favorite shows, Red Dwarf, there is an episode called Justice. The prison on a planet doesn't have any cells. Instead, it is called the Justice Zone. Steal something of someones, your stuff disappears instead. Light something on fire, your stuff is what ignites. Giving someone a taste of their own, would certainly feel better.

Going with a 360 degree dashcam system. While I know it won't stop everything, I hope it will create some deterrance. Or, at least I'd have a photo to give the cops. When I called the police, they were like.. "go online and fill out a report." Honestly, without a witness or photo, what could they do?

OP
OP
AyTifosi

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yikes! What’s the point being made here?

From the pictures it doesn’t look like they actually broke through the glass. Is that true? I’ve never checked, but I think all the glass is laminated and therefore will not shatter.
I'm not sure what you're asking when you ask about 'the point'? I posted this hoping it might help someone in my area be aware there is a potential rash of these, and possibly help someone thinking about their own car security. I was about to install a Porsche dashcam, however a two channel wouldn't have been of any help if they approached from the side - so this has made me change to a 360 degree system.

The window was actually punctured completely - a 4" vertical hole. As I said, the glass was everywhere in the car. However, clearly the structure mostly held.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not sure what you're asking when you ask about 'the point'? I posted this hoping it might help someone in my area be aware there is a potential rash of these, and possibly help someone thinking about their own car security. I was about to install a Porsche dashcam, however a two channel wouldn't have been of any help if they approached from the side - so this has made me change to a 360 degree system.

The window was actually punctured completely - a 4" vertical hole. As I said, the glass was everywhere in the car. However, clearly the structure mostly held.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say "what's the point of the person shattering your glass?".

Seems like a totally unjustified action and it appears there wasn't even anything valuable visible. Basically, I'm pissed off that you're having to deal with this.

Based on your puncture remark my guess is that the glass was not laminated. I think I'll check whether the Noise Insulating glass is laminated or not. I also wonder whether tinting non-laminated glass would help?

OP
OP
AyTifosi

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say "what's the point of the person shattering your glass?".

Seems like a totally unjustified action and it appears there wasn't even anything valuable visible. Basically, I'm pissed off that you're having to deal with this.

Based on your puncture remark my guess is that the glass was not laminated. I think I'll check whether the Noise Insulating glass is laminated or not. I also wonder whether tinting non-laminated glass would help?
Thanks for clarifying.. There where three other cars nearby, one right next to mine. None where touched. As I said, the garage is out of site of the main road, and it happened on a day I don't go to work, that leaves me concluding that it was somone randomly walking/driving through looking for a target. Yet, if mine was the forth (or more) Taycan hit in a week, that seems like more intention. So then I wonder, did someone follow me and wait? Though that seems weird to wait 25 mins after I exit though... honestly, I would much prefer to find the person and extract the reason out of them.

I know the car was built with the thermal noise insulating glass. Not sure about laminated. I don't remember that being an option? With the hole being in the middle of the window, the rest held together as though it was laminated. I put some packaging tape on both sides to get home. The window goes up and down a smidge when the door is opened/shut, and that seemed fine.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Sorry to see that happened to your gorgeous Taycan. Did the dealer have the thermally and noise insulated glass in stock or did it need to be ordered ? Best wishes for a fast and well done repair !
Sponsored