Rattle - Steering Column

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
There are a fair number of posts about various rattles, though I did not see any related to the steering column. I have had the car for about a month and started to notice an intermittent rattle emanating from the steering column. I discovered the location when I moved the steering wheel position when the rattle was present and while moving it the rattle stops. Mostly happens at above 70mph but I've heard as low as 40mph.

Any similar experience or fix?
Sponsored

tuxic

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Same problem here, rattle in steering column at speed.
Fixed it by adjusting the position just a few mm. Rattle disappeared.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
There are a fair number of posts about various rattles, though I did not see any related to the steering column. I have had the car for about a month and started to notice an intermittent rattle emanating from the steering column. I discovered the location when I moved the steering wheel position when the rattle was present and while moving it the rattle stops. Mostly happens at above 70mph but I've heard as low as 40mph.

I believe there is a TSB on this, a visit to the dealer should sort it out for you

OP
OP
GRV

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe there is a TSB on this, a visit to the dealer should sort it out for you
Thank you. I'll check it out.

OP
OP
GRV

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

UPDATE on this "noise" from the steering column. The dealer has had the car for 4+ weeks now trying to troubleshoot. At first they could not reproduce until I did a road test with the technician and he was able to capture an audio recording of the noise. It was a requirement that they capture the audio recording in order for the fix to be covered by warranty. Just recently, dealer obtained a "test tool" (I believe it was some type of frequency noise tester), which I was told they had to actually rent. After troubleshooting with that tool, they now believe the noise/hum/rattle is coming from the front electric motor and being transmitted up the steering column. All data sent to Porsche Germany so they can authorize replacement of the motor. Expect part to be ordered soon. Curious if anyone else has had an issue with electric motor noise.

• Wow
Reactions: B61

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, same here. I have to drive most days on a motorway (freeway) to work which for some reason has horizontal lines at regular intervals for most of its length (so definitely not smooth tarmac). This seemed to set up a buzz/rattle for the steering column. Dealer had a look at it during software update and now much improved (only happens about 5% of the time now). According to service documents they "insulated steering column adjustment spring and lubricated swivel points". Hope this helps?​

OP
OP
GRV

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, same here. I have to drive most days on a motorway (freeway) to work which for some reason has horizontal lines at regular intervals for most of its length (so definitely not smooth tarmac). This seemed to set up a buzz/rattle for the steering column. Dealer had a look at it during software update and now much improved (only happens about 5% of the time now). According to service documents they "insulated steering column adjustment spring and lubricated swivel points". Hope this helps?​
For me this happened at highway speeds -- 65 to 75mph. Rarely at basic city speeds.

dmb

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a rattle, sounds like "tik, tik tik" and it mirrors road bumps, although it does not sound like it is coming from the steering wheel unless it is a acoustic illusion. It almost sounds like one of the panels on the driver side, possibly where the air vent is on the left hand side or the dash where it meets the windshield in the corner. Is this kind of the same rattle we are talking about here?

trying to get all my issues done at once... car also had "suspension" failure and put me in limp mode. Happened after i went over a speed bump, luckily i was in the parking lot and able to get to a stop. Works fine now after a reboot but if that happened on the highway i dont know what could have happened, not really reassuring to drive now

OP
OP
GRV

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
UPDATE on this "noise" from the steering column. The dealer has had the car for 4+ weeks now trying to troubleshoot. At first they could not reproduce until I did a road test with the technician and he was able to capture an audio recording of the noise. It was a requirement that they capture the audio recording in order for the fix to be covered by warranty. Just recently, dealer obtained a "test tool" (I believe it was some type of frequency noise tester), which I was told they had to actually rent. After troubleshooting with that tool, they now believe the noise/hum/rattle is coming from the front electric motor and being transmitted up the steering column. All data sent to Porsche Germany so they can authorize replacement of the motor. Expect part to be ordered soon. Curious if anyone else has had an issue with electric motor noise.
Car has now been with the dealer for 60 days. I have been without it for so long that I forgot what it looked like. Went by the shop to see it today. Motor finally came in and they are in process of replacing. As you can see entire front end is removed. I suspect the dealer has never replaced a motor before because now they are waiting on "additional items" to complete the job.

So, recounting my first 133 days of ownership, the Taycan has been with the dealer for 75 of those days. This is my second major issue. The first issue was a 15-day period in the shop to replace the 19.2KW onboard charger. I have had the car in my possession less than half the time I have actually owned it.

Porsche Taycan Rattle - Steering Column TayTay

OP
OP
GRV

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Car has now been with the dealer for 60 days. I have been without it for so long that I forgot what it looked like. Went by the shop to see it today. Motor finally came in and they are in process of replacing. As you can see entire front end is removed. I suspect the dealer has never replaced a motor before because now they are waiting on "additional items" to complete the job.

So, recounting my first 133 days of ownership, the Taycan has been with the dealer for 75 of those days. This is my second major issue. The first issue was a 15-day period in the shop to replace the 19.2KW onboard charger. I have had the car in my possession less than half the time I have actually owned it.

TayTay.jpg
For me this happened at highway speeds -- 65 to 75mph. Rarely at basic city speeds.
Anyone experience this noise? Taycan Noise Video

logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-tron GT, BMW M4
Country flag
Anyone experience this noise? Taycan Noise Video
Wow! I feel embarrassed to whine about an intermittent noise that is so subtle, a cellphone ain't able to record. This is on a whole different level. They obviously will acknowledge the problem immediately, that's the only upside. Good luck!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Luckily my RWD was back on the road ~9 weeks from initial complaint to drive unit replacement. Ive posted in another thread about it. Happened when car was ~2 months into ownership in August. Field rep. was out a few times and road with service manager before and after. They mentioned the unit was going back to Germany for review.

They believe my car was the catalyst for motor issues. Whine in first gear at highway speeds in sport/sport+ ONLY.
Porsche Taycan Rattle - Steering Column drive unit

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Unreal and must be massively frustrating!

Not to derail this thread but quite curious re your comment re the replaced 19.2 kW charger - how big a job was this I wonder i.e. also involve major disassembly?

I ask as there is a separate thread on Porsche's initial press release about retrofitting this unit for cars that did not order it new but which subsequently has never been followed up (by Porsche) - likely as demand for this would be relatively low and I'd have to assume cost to purchase and retrofit prohibitive!

OP
OP
GRV

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Luckily my RWD was back on the road ~9 weeks from initial complaint to drive unit replacement. Ive posted in another thread about it. Happened when car was ~2 months into ownership in August. Field rep. was out a few times and road with service manager before and after. They mentioned the unit was going back to Germany for review.

They believe my car was the catalyst for motor issues. Whine in first gear at highway speeds in sport/sport+ ONLY.
drive unit.jpg
My front electric motor and "differential" was replaced. Total job took about 3 months from troubleshooting, back-and-forth with PAG, through final approval to replace. 2 days after I received the car back and I took it on the highway the noise is back - unresolved. Did your noise sound similar to what I had captured in the video and was it complete resolved? Taycan Noise Video

I am up for a repurchase (lemon) and trying to make a decision which way to go.

Last edited: