Rattle/vibration from upper door

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone else have a vibration/rattling noise from the door? I hear it over any bumps in the road and with bass from music even at normal volumes. It sounds like it’s coming from the upper part of the door just under the window. I can’t be sure but it sounds like it’s also the same on the passenger side. I understand that noises are much more apparent without any engine sound but this is abnormal and somewhat surprising from a Porsche. I’m hoping it’s easily fixed but not sure I want to start pulling off any panels to re-affix them.
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Does anyone else have a vibration/rattling noise from the door? I hear it over any bumps in the road and with bass from music even at normal volumes. It sounds like it’s coming from the upper part of the door just under the window. I can’t be sure but it sounds like it’s also the same on the passenger side. I understand that noises are much more apparent without any engine sound but this is abnormal and somewhat surprising from a Porsche. I’m hoping it’s easily fixed but not sure I want to start pulling off any panels to re-affix them.
I don’t have those noises. I’m sure Porsche service can get rid of it when you bring it in. I’m very sensitive to rattles and squeaks too.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
This may sound dumb, but try rolling down and up your windows to see if it stops the noise. I dunno, just spitballing here.

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
Don't pull anything apart! The kind of thing Porsche will fix, for sure, as they should. They don't want stories of rattles and buzzes from their super silent car floating around.

Botox

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Cayenne TGT, 20 Taycan TurboS, 22 M5c
Country flag
I have occasional noises from the rear doors on rough roads. Front doors are fine. Only place in car where any vibration noises come from, car is otherwise very tight. I'm guessing door trim, will have it looked at next service.

OP
OP
TaycanNJ

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ll do the same. When is the first service for this car?

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Like (nearly) everyone else. No such rattles in my car.

My winnebago Revel? Yup, hundreds of rattles. We pay extra for all the spare nuts and bolts rattling around in the cabinetry.

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992.1 Turbo S, '20 Taycan Turbo, 997.2 GT3, E39 M5
Country flag
I also have occasional rattles over rough roads from the passenger side doors / B or C Pillar.

I peaked at the door trim and figured I wouldn't mess with it.

I'm also going to have it looked at during my next service. Otherwise, as all have said, the Taycan is very tight.

Took delivery of 2020 Taycan Turbo in March 2020. Currently 2200 miles.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I also have occasional rattles over rough roads from the passenger side doors / B or C Pillar.

I peaked at the door trim and figured I wouldn't mess with it.

I'm also going to have it looked at during my next service. Otherwise, as all have said, the Taycan is very tight.

Took delivery of 2020 Taycan Turbo in March 2020. Currently 2200 miles.
I had a really annoying rattle from passenger side of car. It turned out to be the clips holding on the B Pillar plastic trim. Dealer fixed it.

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a really annoying rattle from passenger side of car. It turned out to be the clips holding on the B Pillar plastic trim. Dealer fixed it.
Peter! Thanks for the clue! I think I have the same problem: Definitely sounds like a clip that's loose. Thanks for chiming in.

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I decided to forego the dealer and address the rattle myself.

I have many reasons why I decided to take the risk, which I won't waste your time explaining, but in the end, I found a satisfactory result.

Here's what I found.

1) B-pillar clip which appears to be anodized in green was rattling in its housing. The male tab on the plastic B-pillar trim was dented, suggesting that the tab and clip were not connected.

2) Lots of blue tape; not sure if its purpose is to minimize rubbing or if its purpose was to provide protection during shipping. Either way, I removed it all and replaced it with felt tape.

3) There is an awesome wire-harness channel along the floor to run wires for those who wish to install rear dash cameras, etc.

4) The door sill plate (in my case brushed aluminum) is held to the plastic covering via bent tabs. Be very careful when you move the plastic trims as the aluminum sill tabs may become loose or break.

As the perfectionist (as my family tells me) that I am, I decided to felt-tape the bottom of the door panel as well.

The benefits of having such an electric car; you hear everything.

I'm happy with the result.

Enjoy the pictures.

-Nai

*I do not recommend attempting this task unless you're experienced and accept the risks. Lots of wires that can easily be yanked; tabs that can easily be broken; and you may end up with more rattles than you started with.

Porsche Taycan Rattle/vibration from upper door Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 18.18.53

Porsche Taycan Rattle/vibration from upper door Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 18.18.07

Porsche Taycan Rattle/vibration from upper door Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 18.19.16

Porsche Taycan Rattle/vibration from upper door Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 18.17.44

Porsche Taycan Rattle/vibration from upper door Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 18.17.59

OP
OP
TaycanNJ

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@NaiM5 Thank you so much for this step by step. I have had it at the dealership twice for this issue and it's still not solved. I will be following your guide and doing it myself. Have you had any issues since this was done?

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@NaiM5 Thank you so much for this step by step. I have had it at the dealership twice for this issue and it's still not solved. I will be following your guide and doing it myself. Have you had any issues since this was done?
No issues. In fact, I can hear a pin drop it is so quiet. I’m approaching 5k miles on my Taycan. Where in NJ are you? If you need help, we can try to coordinate a time to connect. Not an easy job, and we don’t want one repair to cause more problems. Private message me would be better than via public forum. Cheers.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've got one monster rattle driver's side rear. The tech checked it out, decided it wasn't within spec even with padding and ordered a new door trim panel months ago...it's still not in, unfortunately.
Sponsored