Real life charging your Taycan in Belgium ?

Bruno

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini JCW,Audi A6,Ducati 748S,Honda CB750,BMW K100R
Country flag
Hello Belgian owners ,
What is your advise how to charge your Taycan with the new Belgian electric taxation ( peak amps ) being applied ?
If I am correct we will have to pay according our demanded peak Ampèrage ( max recorded for at least 15' ) from the electric net .
Personally I don't see the use of the 22kw onboard AC charger and the 22kw Mobile Charger Connect since it will draw too much amps ...
Charging at home ( 8 -9 hrs ) is perfectly fine for me .
Charging outdoors if needed will be DC so again what is the use of the 22kw onboard AC charger ?
Or am I missing something ?
Thanks for your advise ,
Bruno .
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have optioned the 22 kw onboard charger. At home I have installed a 22 kw. More for my visiting family than for me.
For the charging costs and the car slow charging is better.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
1) Set a charging timer outside the time you typically use a lot of electricity: cooking, backing, watching tv, heating ....
2) Set the charger to 50%.

Normally that should be good enough. Normal electricity use in your house will easily reach 4kw peak power. If you make sure you charge the car at max 4kw and do that at night, you should be able to keep the total peak under 4-5kw. Trying to stay to 2 or 3 kw is not going to be feasible. Unless you would go to buffering with a home battery.

If that is not good enough you can install a load balancer. Something like the Ratio Smart:
https://www.evservice.eu/ratio-smar...VkGWJ8QyrgIBSNn7RLeN54Rr9yY24AfoaAhsZEALw_wcB

Personally, I would keep it simple with a slow charger and a timer. Batteries and load balancers also cost money.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Personally, I took the 22 kw onboard AC for when I'm in France where there are a lot of those 22 kw charging stations on the streets if you don't have DC around.
At home, I'll keep it slow charging and it's enough.

logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-tron GT, BMW M4
Country flag
I agree with @FredC057 , it's a nice backup to have since most charge points are AC 22kW (max). Depending of your usage, you may never use it though. Perhaps motivated by range anxiety (first time EV owner), it felt like I really needed the option... I already can say it's unlikely I will ever need a public AC charge point (touch wood). And if I use one at a hotel, 11kW is just fine.

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
I wonder when they will effectively introduce the capacity tarification ... the regulators website says 'Somewhere in 2022' but they have not yet officially communicated what the impact/cost will be. Somehow I think it won't be this year ... but then again ... you never know for sure with our government.

I also optioned the 22kw charging since we have an 63A 3P feed at home and already have another EV. Not going to bother to limit charging speed as long as it's not effective yet, and once it is I'll easily hit 11kw peak usage anyway ...

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
Hello Belgian owners ,
What is your advise how to charge your Taycan with the new Belgian electric taxation ( peak amps ) being applied ?
If I am correct we will have to pay according our demanded peak Ampèrage ( max recorded for at least 15' ) from the electric net .
Personally I don't see the use of the 22kw onboard AC charger and the 22kw Mobile Charger Connect since it will draw too much amps ...
Charging at home ( 8 -9 hrs ) is perfectly fine for me .
Charging outdoors if needed will be DC so again what is the use of the 22kw onboard AC charger ?
Or am I missing something ?
Thanks for your advise ,
Bruno .
Hi,

Where did you see that "new Belgian electric taxation" ?

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
When simulating on their website the difference between smart-charging and say a monthly peak of 6kw vs not bothering at all and having a monthly peak of 22kw could be as much as 1200€ per year.

And peak-usage is calculated as highest peak-usage during a 15" timeframe per month.
So actually charging 1x month at 22kw of charging every day at 22kw does not make a difference

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
I didn't option 22kw and I recharge at 7 kW (30 -> 80 % generally) during the night and it's enough for me.

frietzak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I have a 22 kw smappee charger at home but did not take the 22k w option for the taycan. It's very expensive and my current car is also 11 kw. I never felt i needed more. If your car is at home during the night for a long time then it's not really needed. 11 kw will be more than enough.

If you want to save money just charge as slow as possible. But i think if you have 1 peak, it will count for the whole month. So you really need to watch out. And see if you can get a device to measure your peaks so you can follow up. You can do a simulation on the vreg website to see the impact of different peaks.