Real World High Milage Trip With the Taycan

soly20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 TT, Range Rover Sport, BMW 525
Country flag
Yesterday, the Taycan Turbo went on a 408-mile road trip from Niagara Falls to New York City, where they stopped only once to recharge. More details below.

ATLANTA, Sept. 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- At the precise moment the new Taycan was revealed yesterday, Porsche's first fully electric sports car set off from nearby the world debut location at Niagara Falls on a 408-mile road trip to New York City. This marked the first road excursion by a production standard, fully undisguised Taycan Turbo in the United States.

Porsche Taycan Real World High Milage Trip With the Taycan unnamed-

The journey took place in real world conditions and with real world challenges -- with sun, rain and traffic -- it demonstrates the type of use the Taycan will encounter when deliveries begin in December.

After a distance of 250 miles, and with 39 miles of remaining range, the Taycan stopped once for a top up charge, using one of the Electrify America charging stations located at Bloomsburg, PA. After a brief charge, which brought the battery up from 14 percentto 85 percent, taking 24 minutes, the remaining 158-mile journey took the Taycan into New York City for the first time.

Stefan Weckbach, Vice President Product Line, Taycan, joined the trip in its final stages: "It's fantastic to see the Taycan take to the road in its final form for the first time, and to demonstrate its ability to cover big miles in complete comfort. Of course, many owners will use their Taycan the way a Porsche is designed to be used -- to be driven hard. The car is more than up to this challenge. At the moment, this is the one and only Taycan undisguised and on the road in the US. I can't wait for it to reach customers'hands and for many more to hit the roads around the world."

The Taycan was revealed simultaneously on three continents yesterday and marks a new stage in Porsche's electrification program.

Porsche Taycan Real World High Milage Trip With the Taycan unnamed-2-

Porsche Taycan Real World High Milage Trip With the Taycan unnamed-1-

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Thanks for posting. Porsche is famous for being conservative on any specs they provide, so this seems very reasonable given the information they provided at the premiere.

AlphaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise, Chevy Volt, Model X
Country flag
Thanks for posting. Porsche is famous for being conservative on any specs they provide, so this seems very reasonable given the information they provided at the premiere.
Somewhat comforting. I agree if the range claimed was a Porsche range estimate using their idea of real world conditions that would be great. But they chose to use a known overly optimistic range estimation scheme WLTP.

I am really having a hard time coming to grips with the range. With all the engineering know-how, potentially more efficient PSM motors, and a large battery pack, I simply don’t understand why the range couldn’t have been 300 miles or more on EPA estimates. Instead it is probably close to 33% less than it should be.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Somewhat comforting. I agree if the range claimed was a Porsche range estimate using their idea of real world conditions that would be great. But they chose to use a known overly optimistic range estimation scheme WLTP.

I am really having a hard time coming to grips with the range. With all the engineering know-how, potentially more efficient PSM motors, and a large battery pack, I simply don’t understand why the range couldn’t have been 300 miles or more on EPA estimates. Instead it is probably close to 33% less than it should be.
You bring up a number of good points. My gut feel is that Porsche has overengineered the Taycan like they do their ice vehicles; while many people won't hoon them around a track, it's a great selling point to say that you can. They have also put something like 3.7 million miles of testing on the Taycan. I tend to think they are being overly cautious on the batteries; same is true for Audi and the e-tron. On the other hand, I don't believe Tesla takes the same attitude regarding engineering (or certainly testing). Designing an EV propulsion system that allows you to run flat-out for short periods of time (like Ludicrous Mode) is a much different problem that allowing the system to handle this kind of abuse over and over. Both are extremely difficult tasks. Not trying to put Tesla down here; just solving two different problems.

Ksi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw i8
Country flag
the 4s might have slightly more range than the turbo

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Nope it’s right on target. Tesla is that far ahead of everyone else on range.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes you are obviously stating the obvious. But I don’t understand why...
Tesla has been doing this with serious commitment since 2006. They’ve iterated on their designs and improved their engineering from experience. This is a technology area where real world experience matters. Their battery technology and designs are simply more advanced. The Model 3 has batteries that are quite superior to the Model S, so you can see that evolution. You can also find some discussions about the cell vs pouch architecture between Tesla and the rest of the industry.

Porsche has some great hybrids, but this is their first serious foray into BEV. This will improve and quickly over the next few years. The evolution between the S and the 3 wasn’t that long either.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I say it again: range depends on driving style, speed and temperature.
300mls is no problem with a 93kWh battery.
So, either you drive slowly and hypermile the distance in 3 hours OR go fast for 150mls ,recharge and go fast the remaining 150mls also taking you 3 hours in total...
You get my point?
Really, it's just a mindset.
Sponsored