First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan 4S, '91 911 C4
Country flag
Hi Folks,

I started to reply to the Edmunds Range Test thread but noticed I might be hijacking the thread so here's a new one. It seems that a lot of prospective buyers want more real world data on ranges and experiences with certain functions. I know I definitely was craving that information before purchase.

FWIW, here's my experience so far from the 5k miles and some road trips I have been on with as long as 200 mile long legs between chargers due to my location:

I never saw a worthwhile (more than a percent or two) return from using Range Mode - and after a couple of incidents where the speed limiter felt too intrusive during passing/emergency maneuvers, I have never gone back. I also experienced some odd wind noises, presumably from some of the shutters opening/closing.

Driving in Normal Mode, during lengthy Interstate stints w/ cruise at 79mph (allegedly) I see roughly 33-35 kW/100mi, depending on wind speed/direction, which roughly equates to 250-265 miles on a full charge. I don't have the self-control to drive 70mph in a 65mph zone. This looks reasonably accurate as on my 200mi legs, I can usually do those using 70% (+- 2%) of the battery. At country highways speeds and 45 mph areas if you take the back roads as I do sometimes, the T4S PB+ can push about 300 miles if you drive to empty. This is all in the summer temps so far w/ Turbo aero wheels. Again, all in Normal Mode if I'm road-tripping.

I initially drove w/ the recuperation OFF as I had hoped it would feel more natural and closer to an ICE vehicle, however I have decided that it is the opposite. I now almost always drive with recuperation ON as it feels closer to an ICE vehicle (especially one with a manual transmission) as the recuperation feels a lot like engine compression braking, not super aggressive like the 1-pedal driving of Teslas, but as if you are just riding a gear at low to mid RPMs.

I have also found that driving w the recup OFF is REALLY annoying if you're in any traffic, because you're going to out-coast everyone and be constantly tapping your brakes... which for some reason bothers me. Hope this helps with some folks who are considering purchase or awaiting delivery.
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I also experienced some odd wind noises, presumably from some of the shutters opening/closing.
Can you elaborate on this? What shutters are you referring to?

I now almost always drive with recuperation ON as it feels closer to an ICE vehicle (especially one with a manual transmission) as the recuperation feels a lot like engine compression braking
I was thinking the same thing. I like that feeling of compression braking in a manual car and it saves the brake pads too. I can see the over-coasting being annoying in traffic on the freeway as well.

OP
OP
Sabreliner

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you elaborate on this? What shutters are you referring to?
The cooling/aero shutters in the front of the car. I am not 100% when they open and close, but I believe they close to improve range in Range Mode. On one of my road trips, I toggled Range/Normal Mode and I could hear the change in wind noise and perhaps another sound. Still have not dug in enough to figure out if it was the rear motors disconnecting or a change in the wind buffet.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
and it saves the brake pads too.
I don’t think it saves the brake pads since the brake pedal also uses recup. If you’re hitting the brake pedal hard enough to use the friction brakes, you were going to be using them anyway as the overrun recup is quite small.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Hi Folks,
I initially drove w/ the recuperation OFF as I had hoped it would feel more natural and closer to an ICE vehicle, however I have decided that it is the opposite. I now almost always drive with recuperation ON as it feels closer to an ICE vehicle (especially one with a manual transmission) as the recuperation feels a lot like engine compression braking, not super aggressive like the 1-pedal driving of Teslas, but as if you are just riding a gear at low to mid RPMs.

I have also found that driving w the recup OFF is REALLY annoying if you're in any traffic, because you're going to out-coast everyone and be constantly tapping your brakes... which for some reason bothers me. Hope this helps with some folks who are considering purchase or awaiting delivery.
I know this has almost certainly been answered elsewhere but I still get a little confused w.r.t. creep if there when recup mode is on or off or does it occur regardless of recup mode (in ref to your points re car feeling more ICE like). I am so used to the DCT in my M4 that I personally MUCH prefer to stay stopped when I am stopped in traffic without having to apply a brake (even though of course I commonly do - just like the option). However it sounds like the motor in the Taycan behaves more like a true automatic ICE car in that you must keep the brake applied when stopped in traffic as other wise the car will creep forward - correct? Apologies if going off topic but do appreciate the other efficiency info shared :)!

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don’t think it saves the brake pads since the brake pedal also uses recup. If you’re hitting the brake pedal hard enough to use the friction brakes, you were going to be using them anyway as the overrun recup is quite small.
Doesn't recuperation work when you're coasting without using the brakes?

OP
OP
Sabreliner

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know this has almost certainly been answered elsewhere but I still get a little confused w.r.t. creep if there when recup mode is on or off or does it occur regardless of recup mode (in ref to your points re car feeling more ICE like). I am so used to the DCT in my M4 that I personally MUCH prefer to stay stopped when I am stopped in traffic without having to apply a brake (even though of course I commonly do - just like the option). However it sounds like the motor in the Taycan behaves more like a true automatic ICE car in that you must keep the brake applied when stopped in traffic as other wise the car will creep forward - correct? Apologies if going off topic but do appreciate the other efficiency info shared :)!
Yep, it creeps like an automatic ICE car if you're in stop/start traffic with recuperation ON or OFF. With it OFF, it creeps then coasts a lot more/faster than even an automatic ICE car. To a point where sometimes if I have forgotten to turn recup ON, I will drift a lot faster then I intended and need to adjust accordingly.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
If you have the recup on, it will. It will be like having an ice engine doing engine braking. When it is off, it’s like clutching in with a manual car or like how regular automatics behave.
And in any mode, when you apply the brakes, the recup will do the initial brake depending on how much you apply the brakes

OP
OP
Sabreliner

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I understand it, recup works upto a certain point (it is the primary method of slowing the vehicle, up to 250+ kW [or something close, someone can jump in with the exact number]), then the physical brakes will assist for hard braking. For normal driving, this will rarely happen except in emergencies or when driving hard for fun, hence the benefit of EVs of likely never needing a brake job. My totally unscientific estimate is that at about 0.3 g's of deceleration or greater, the brakes will start to assist.

OP
OP
Sabreliner

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you have the recup on, it will. It will be like having an ice engine doing engine braking. When it is off, it’s like clutching in with a manual car or like how regular automatics behave.
And in any mode, when you apply the brakes, the recup will do the initial brake depending on how much you apply the brakes
Yeah sorry I missed the point of the question. Recuperation happens both when you apply the brake pedal, AND if you toggle the regen. The regen/recuperation (sorry I keep using the terms interchangably) button simply adjusts how much recuperation is applied when you let off the accelerator.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As others pointed out, yes, Porsche has what they call overrun recup. This can be turned off and on, or put in auto where you primarily coast, but it will recup more aggressively if there is an a object in front of you. But the overrun recup is always fairly mild. I estimated “on” to be around 10kW on a flat surface around 50mph; I believe I’ve observed it to change with speed and slope, but haven’t tried to collect more data to model it yet.

It actually recups a very tiny amount even when turn off if you are going down hill or above a certain speed.

But there is also braking recup. When you press the brakes, it will recup up to 265kW (175kW on the front motor and 90kW for the rear motor).

Aggressive driving or emergency braking will still kick in the friction brakes, but I wouldn’t expect them to get much use in daily driving (unless your daily driving is aggressive ?).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The regen/recuperation (sorry I keep using the terms interchangably)
The difference is largely irrelevant for most of these discussions, since the car doesn’t regen outside of recuperation that I’m aware of.

I interchange them as well.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
As others pointed out, yes, Porsche has what they call overrun recup. This can be turned off and on, or put in auto where you primarily coast, but it will recup more aggressively if there is an a object in front of you. But the overrun recup is always fairly mild. I estimated “on” to be around 10kW on a flat surface around 50mph; I believe I’ve observed it to change with speed and slope, but haven’t tried to collect more data to model it yet.

It actually recups a very tiny amount even when turn off if you are going down hill or above a certain speed.

But there is also braking recup. When you press the brakes, it will recup up to 265kW (175kW on the front motor and 90kW for the rear motor).

Aggressive driving or emergency braking will still kick in the friction brakes, but I wouldn’t expect them to get much use in daily driving (unless your daily driving is aggressive ?).
Based on your and everyone’s replies it seems to corroborate my initial claim that having these features enabled should save on brake pads. Am I misunderstanding?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Am I misunderstanding?
It sounds like it. Pressing the brake pedal will recup far more than any overrun recup settings. And that isn’t something you turn on or off

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
It sounds like it. Pressing the brake pedal will recup far more than any overrun recup settings. And that isn’t something you turn on or off
I was never talking about touching the brake pedal. I’m talking about the car slowing itself when coasting so the brakes don’t need to be touched.
Sponsored