First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I went without.
I find the front wheels turn in at a very tight angle (assume as there is no engine) and with a short nose turning going forward is really good.

However, the opposite is true when reversing.
When I look on the reversing cameras, I am forever overshooting (using the lines) my driveway and have to make a 3 point turn to correct it.

If I was buying again I would spec it.

It will also be very Individual (people often forget that here).
Someone living in a wide open expanse with huge roads and wide driveways is going to be very different from someone who lives in a medieval European city with tight little roads.
Sponsored

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I've ordered it for my Taycan. Driving Cayennes on a track, I could feel the difference before I learned that one had it and the other didn't. But I doubt it would be missed on a daily driver if you'd never experienced an otherwise identical vehicle with it. In fact, as some have already noted, IF it were to behave very differently at parking speeds, it might take some getting used to in very tight spaces (like a four-wheel steer forklift).

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Here is a good video on it.

He suggests "no" for DD. Which is interesting -- goes against the majorty opinion on this thread so far. Thanks everyone. It sounds like it is worth trying -- in the end, it doesn't hurt the car. And best case, it makes it better.

kruzmisl

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S. 2019 Cayenne E-Hy.
Country flag
I enjoy it every time I make a turn. Especially tight multi lane left turns when I’m the inside car. A little goose of the throttle just before the apex and I’m four car lengths down while the outside and easier lane is still in their turn. My favorite option, and lucky for me since I bought a dealer ordered 2021 4S from the lot. I also had it on my trade in, a Panamera Turbo S-E Hybrid. NO REGRETS!!! Nose to tail the day of the trade.
Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering for daily driver? 2F1BA0BD-64F5-4255-AAFA-C2858C68A1AE

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I didn't get 4 wheel steering and regret it. I didn't get it because I didn't love the feel of Power Steering Plus which came bundled with the 4 wheel steering. The car is definitely big and it can be a bit of a handful in say a tight garage.

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I didn't get 4 wheel steering and regret it. I didn't get it because I didn't love the feel of Power Steering Plus which came bundled with the 4 wheel steering. The car is definitely big and it can be a bit of a handful in say a tight garage.
This is very helpful. I was told multiple times that RAS was not needed. But from your response and 70 percent of the other participants, seems like it is the way to go. Thanks much for your feedback and taking the time to share your experiences

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
RAS is incredible. Stabilizes car in fast turns, improves handling in cities and narrow corners.
Even on a supermarket parking lot it's an improvement.

Definitely worth every penny!

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
I'm constantly amazed as to how nimble the RAS makes the Taycan feel when it comes to the ease of getting in and out of tight parking spots or areas with a limited turn radius. In contrast to my other vehicles, the RAS enables me to enter and exit tight areas in one shot, eliminating the stress of performing a series of parking maneuvers while holding up traffic in some of our busier Bay Area parking structures. This feature alone, by default, has made the Taycan my daily driver of choice.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
One of the best features of the car. Love it - best at low speed turning in the hood, three-pointers, and u-turns. All cars should be so lucky.

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
One of the best features of the car. Love it - best at low speed turning in the hood, three-pointers, and u-turns. All cars should be so lucky.
Wow! I didn't realize how awesome this would be.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
He suggests "no" for DD. Which is interesting -- goes against the majorty opinion on this thread so far. Thanks everyone. It sounds like it is worth trying -- in the end, it doesn't hurt the car. And best case, it makes it better.
There is absolutely no doubt it is "better", both for handling and for low speed manouvering, probably a much bigger deal in European roads and parking spaces than US or Oz though.
The question is, is it enough better to pay the extra, and only you could answer that.

It was one of the first options I chose on my CT 4S, along with torque vectoring, but I am an engineer :) living in Oxfordshire where most parking spaces are actually too narrow to park and be able to open a door.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Finally got to try a RAS Taycan today. WIth the caveat that it's 4 months since I previously drove a Taycan (which didn't have RAS), the full lock turning circle was surprisingly* impressive.
(*to sceptical old me- even though it's always been on my build)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I enjoy it every time I make a turn. Especially tight multi lane left turns when I’m the inside car. A little goose of the throttle just before the apex and I’m four car lengths down while the outside and easier lane is still in their turn. My favorite option, and lucky for me since I bought a dealer ordered 2021 4S from the lot. I also had it on my trade in, a Panamera Turbo S-E Hybrid. NO REGRETS!!! Nose to tail the day of the trade.
2F1BA0BD-64F5-4255-AAFA-C2858C68A1AE.jpeg
Sorry for the hijack but what are the colors of both cars? Std white or Carrara Metallic?

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I was running errands today and marveling once again about the awesomeness of RAS. It’s a huge advantage in maneuverability in tight spaces. Makes a big car feel small.
Hi. Thanks for this. I did decide against it. It didn't make sense for me. But appreciate everyone's guidance. I am thinking however, to put in the extra insulated glass.
Sponsored