Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working?

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Seems that if one has to go through a full scale investigation to determine if a pricey option was installed, it begs this question: Was the option worth the $$$ in the first place?
I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. If you have one Taycan that definitely doesn't have RAS, and one that does, you can pretty easily tell the difference. Subjectively by the way the car turns at low speeds, and objectively by how narrow a space you can get into on a single try. It's only when you're evaluating RAS in a vacuum that it's tough to tell if it's doing anything.

As far as seeing RAS in action, I can see the changes just by looking at my side mirrors. It's definitely very subtle. I don't see the wheels moving; rather, I see a difference in the left vs. right, and when I steer in the opposite direction, the difference is reversed.
Sponsored

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
I've tried a quick, unsophisticated test as I was starting to worry about this myself! :CWL:

I set my phone camera to rear facing (selfie) mode, held it out of the window with my arm resting on the door so the camera didn't move at all, then set off at a moderate pace putting full lock on both ways. You can clearly see the rear wheel changes orientation slightly, particularly on full left lock where the wheel itself becomes obscured by the tyre. Interestingly, when you come to a stop the wheel seems to centre again even if you leave full lock on.

Should be an easily reproducible test and doesn't involve an assistant or elaborate gear to mount the camera onto the car's bodywork!

I've tried a quick, unsophisticated test as I was starting to worry about this myself! :CWL:

I set my phone camera to rear facing (selfie) mode, held it out of the window with my arm resting on the door so the camera didn't move at all, then set off at a moderate pace putting full lock on both ways. You can clearly see the rear wheel changes orientation slightly, particularly on full left lock where the wheel itself becomes obscured by the tyre. Interestingly, when you come to a stop the wheel seems to centre again even if you leave full lock on.

Should be an easily reproducible test and doesn't involve an assistant or elaborate gear to mount the camera onto the car's bodywork!

I don't see your video only audio.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
I think it works in mine. I tried to test it this way: drive very fast (...) in a stretch with many short and medium arc turns and one can definitely feel the "help" from the rear axle wheels rotation. it's even a bit un-natural. is it acceptable?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Thanks for posting - I can't view the video as I don't have this particular codec unfortunately.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Tried on my iPad and all good.

No argument - it is clearly visible as mentioned,

I’ll need to go play somewhere….

Thx

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
I’m sure RAS can be disabled in PIWIS and it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that this is the case. A Porsche tech can check a box on their computer and enable it provided the hardware was actually installed.

I’m not sure if RAS is disabled in transport mode.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m sure RAS can be disabled in PIWIS and it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that this is the case. A Porsche tech can check a box on their computer and enable it provided the hardware was actually installed.

I’m not sure if RAS is disabled in transport mode.
Indeed - at least I have that option to pursue if I don't "witness" the RAS in motion.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
All that matters is that you are happy with the RAS and feel that the $$$ you expended is worth the option. Personally, I didn't option it and unlike many folks here I have had the opportunity to evaluate it for four years now on my GT3. Other than track use or Canyon runs, I don't see the value for street use.
There is some value when it comes to low-speed maneuvering in tight quarters, such as in parking garages or alleyways, but broadly I agree with you. It's certainly not a must-have feature. I did not at all mean to imply otherwise, although I see how my post might have come across that way. All I mean to say is that Porsche successfully made RAS's effects so subtle that unless you can compare two cars back-to-back you will have a hard time ever knowing it's there.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Welcome.

Yeah - I was used to parking a Panamera ST in a very tight space (with no problem) and struggle to feel any advantages with RAS on the Taycan when parking. You may have seen videos of the Merc EQS which has very noticable RAS in action - if so then don't expect anything like that.
Have Panamera ST without RAS and just took delivery of Taycan CT with RAS. The difference has been more noticeable than expected during my daily errands.

In drive thru at Chick-FiL-A today (real world testing for middle america) there appeared a seemingly impossibly tight u-turn due to parking lot construction. I watched car after car, including a Camry in front of me, needing to make a three point turn to enter the drive thru. I was surprised to make the turn in one pass. That chicken sandwich tasted better than usual…

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I will try this later today and report.