Rear Axle Steering....not needed, nice to have, or must have?

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
What is everyone’s thoughts? It’s an option I’d like to have but just wondering how needed it really is? I’ve driven a Taycan without it and was still very impressed with the feel and handling. Just thought I’d see what all the owners thought?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
MUST HAVE - it's a long car - RWS makes it shorter when you need it to be so - given a choice between RWS & PDCC - I'd take RWS - it has tangible real world daily benefits (when ever you are maneuvering at slower speeds).

you're buying a porsche - equip it correctly - RWS is part of that equation.

un-check other options if necessary -it's one of the few options that you can really tell the difference and has major benefits.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Must have. The first U-turn will amaze you! And high-speed handling is more stable.

PTV+ is also a must-have feature for slick surfaces (rain, snow, or ice) or aggressive handling.

PDCC is a must-have feature for sport-car performance that can become docile for a luxurious ride.

All three are must-have for me. Porsche for me is performance first and style second.

Terra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many
Country flag
What is everyone’s thoughts? It’s an option I’d like to have but just wondering how needed it really is? I’ve driven a Taycan without it and was still very impressed with the feel and handling. Just thought I’d see what all the owners thought?
Not necessary. But then again I also drive a F-350 with 8’ longbox. So this car is like handling a smart car in comparison.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
My opinion is it is not NEED to have but NICE to have. I have an X3 M40i and it has the same turning radius. Sometimes i need to back up to get in to a tight space but it’s not very often and does not bother me.
Regarding driving the standard setup is very good. The 4S was testet by former owner of EVO magazine
Harry Metcalfe (test is on YT) and he was very impressed with it in a non RWS setup. I highly respect his opinion.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
A must have, can’t imagine being without it. Handling is terrific and you’ll pay for it in one tight u-turn.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
The rear wheel steering makes the car feel more nimble than a Toyota Corolla. Trust me, I had to drive one for months before getting the Taycan. For high speed, it's not that useful but at low speed, it really shines. It also helps with parking. I was really happy that I chose this option.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's a no brainer Must Have!

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I think you should get rear axle steering. It shortens the turning radius, the steering ratio is a bit quicker and one of the road tests I read they liked the feel of it.

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
My opinion is it is not NEED to have but NICE to have. I have an X3 M40i and it has the same turning radius. Sometimes i need to back up to get in to a tight space but it’s not very often and does not bother me.
Regarding driving the standard setup is very good. The 4S was testet by former owner of EVO magazine
Harry Metcalfe (test is on YT) and he was very impressed with it in a non RWS setup. I highly respect his opinion.
If you haven't tried.. you can't imagine how much is useful... is perfect for maneuvers in little space, really nice to drive in mountain roads and also is really really good at high speed changing lane.
REALLY MUST HAVE!!

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Not needed is my personal view, as I don't have it and I don't feel I'm missing anything. I have not yet been in a situation where the default turning radius had caused me some frustration (10000 km driven). However if driving the alternative and making the comparison, my view probably would change to "nice to have".

I think that where you live matters a lot, like how tight are the spaces where you're normally driving. If you need "city car flexibility" often, I'd say this might change from nice to have, to must have.

There is so much hype about rear wheel steering in the forums and initially I was really afraid I made the wrong choice ordering my car without it. But luckily, I have had 0 regrets about this after my driving experiences in practise. The car is slightly more nimble than my older Audi A7 even without RWS.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
It clearly matters what you are coming from. If you are coming from a non-sports car, then it will be great even without RWS, as it handles exceptionally well for a car its size. If you are coming from or are generally familiar with a smaller sports car, however, you will notice its size less with RWS.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I have RWS but I'm not that impressed.
It's indeed great for making a turn while it's a big car, sure, totally happy about that.
But....being a Porsche I had higher expectations cuz I think it has too much bump steer.
When going over a pothole it settles quite a bit.
I'm used to drive (RWD) sportscars and this is what stood out to me quite distinctly...
Other than that it drives very well but I wouldn't opt it next time (also due to the extra weight).
Sponsored