Rear Axle Steering....not needed, nice to have, or must have?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I wonder why such a big difference with the Mercedes. At least it's available, should be an option on every long luxury car
Possibly limited by width of rear tyre compared with depth of wheel arch?
It effectively reduces the minimum turning circle by only 5%.
Perhaps the main intended benefit is for higher speeds, when it turns in the same direction (at a lower angle of deflection) as the front wheels and so improves stability.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I just Googled the data for the option on a 911- seems to be 1.5 degs, which reinforces my impression that Porsche's intent is primarily to improve higher-speed stability rather than parking manoeuvrability. Personally I think the latter benefit is over-stated on the Taycan, though it does do make parallel parking less likely to kerb a wheel.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
which reinforces my impression that Porsche's intent is primarily to improve higher-speed stability rather than parking manoeuvrability
I am sure it is there for high speed stability and low speed response in that it reduces effective wheelbase at low speed and increases it at high speed.

It is a Porsche so will be mainly for handling and any benefit for parking a useful by-product rather than principle objective.

On the EQS the opposite is likely to be true, 10 degrees is way more than needed for handling.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have little issue parallel parking into a spot once or twice a week, don't need the RWS option at all. Full disclosure: I did pay for the 4 yr wheel protection program.
Sponsored

Last edited: