Rear Axle Steering....not needed, nice to have, or must have?

Deleted member 2250

What is everyone’s thoughts? It’s an option I’d like to have but just wondering how needed it really is? I’ve driven a Taycan without it and was still very impressed with the feel and handling. Just thought I’d see what all the owners thought?
Yep, as with the majority of the replies I would certainly have it as part of the build spec.
Sponsored

Rex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 911 Turbo
I have it on my 911 Turbo but not my Taycan Turbo. The cornering is loads of fun — really tight — in 911; however, I don’t drive the wheels off the Taycan like I do the 911. If you can afford it, do it!

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Defender P400e. Taycan 4S Perf+
Country flag
What is everyone’s thoughts? It’s an option I’d like to have but just wondering how needed it really is? I’ve driven a Taycan without it and was still very impressed with the feel and handling. Just thought I’d see what all the owners thought?
Gets my vote too and I’m on a ‘relative’ budget trying to keep a 4S to £100k.

The difference in manoeuvrability is really noticeable at a variety of speeds but especially low speed speed and more so I think than PTV (which I have on my Macan and would attribute to preventing an issue in really sticky moments 2 or 3 times in 45k spirited miles). Some of the engineering aids you really won’t notice unless you push the car to its limits constantly and are a skilled, sensitive driver, but RWS you will appreciate daily.

Paul T Smith

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Land Rover Discovery HSELux
Country flag
In the UK there are numerous rounderbouts and the car handles great on those bends.

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
It is hard to pinpoint for me, but I got a loaner without real real steering, and I could tell the difference on the Los Angeles freeway especially when you are changing lanes. I agree with a lot of the others, I would drop other options, but definitely subscribe to this one..

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It is hard to pinpoint for me, but I got a loaner without real real steering, and I could tell the difference on the Los Angeles freeway especially when you are changing lanes. I agree with a lot of the others, I would drop other options, but definitely subscribe to this one..
100% get it!

Reactions: B61

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
I was not a believer until I tried one with it. More nimble handling, better stability on the highway and the turning circle of a tiny car--100% worth it.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I tried that few years ago with Renault Talisman…since then, I knew it’s a must have.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wish the steering had some sort of user configuration. IMHO the on center response is to
twitchy and sensitive. Imagine having it is normal/range mode with a bit less response.
No reason the steering can't be non-linear. My wife definitely needs it less twitchy, driving
on the freeway when she drifts a bit her steering response is way overkill.

yoursuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
What is PDCC?
Never mind.. that is applicable to 4S… I am going with base..so dont see that options at all… saved $3.5k there :)… i did however got the PASM and RAS on my configuration for base model.. I was on fence for PTV+ and decided to pass on to it.. will I regret that?

Last edited:

erhand25

First Name
Erhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I guess really depending on where you live. If you live in a city where you need to do parallel parking or tight turns, yes you should get it. Otherwise you wont even feel the need.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Off at a slight tangent....

I have got the RWD and am amazed at how good the standard turning circle is. The front wheels turn with a lot of 'angle' to allow a really tight turn (much better than my previous cars).

I wonder if its the same on all models, or particular to the RWD without the front motor?
Sponsored