isrihel

First Name
Inderjit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Im not sure whether I should go for Rear axel steering or not? Is it worth the cost?
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I agree with the above comments.

It's not by accident that Porsche has been able to engineer a 5000 LB car that is almost universally considered to have sports car level handling. A low center of gravity, well tuned air suspension, dynamic sway control (PDCC) and rear axle steering all contribute. Start removing some of these features and you will dilute that level of performance to some degree.

Maybe handling and maneuverability will still be "good enough" without RAS but it won't be optimal and for that reason, IMHO, if you can make it fit in your budget RAS is worth it.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My lock date is in one week and this is the one item I am really torn on. I think I am set on everything else

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Truns as well as my better half's Mini. Worth it IMO for small roads, tight junctions, car parks, U turns. Also more stable on high speed turns however I don't feel much difference to my previous RS6 that had the DRC system.

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
This is also an option I will be thinking about a lot. On paper the 2.8 degree turning radius it adds does not seem that much but a lot of people on these forums rate it a must have.

Having watched some of the recent Mercedes EQS reviews that model comes with RWS as standard with a turning radius of 4.5 degrees and can go to 10 degrees via an OTA software upgrade (for a price of course!).

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My Taycan w RWS has a similar or better turning radius than my 911. To me that’s very worth it.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
My Taycan w RWS has a similar or better turning radius than my 911. To me that’s very worth it.
Sold! I'll add this to my next configuration update.

I'm getting close to that magic point where a lightly configured 4S is the same price as my heavily featured RWD.

BeTay22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW X5 while waiting for more high-power chargers
Country flag
From Porsche's German configurator: the turning circle is 12,0m for a 4CT, 11,7m for a 4S, 11,4m for a TS CT and 11,2m for a TS. The first 2 don't have RAS, the last 2 do.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
This is an option I’d repeat every time. I don’t think I’ve had to make a 3 point turn once. I can make a U turn on single lane roads with ease, and the car despite its length can maneuver like a roadster.

i actually had to give up my allocation and get one 2-3 months later because I missed adding the option by freeze date. I’m glad I waited for a car with RAS.

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
Sold! I'll add this to my next configuration update.

I'm getting close to that magic point where a lightly configured 4S is the same price as my heavily featured RWD.
Same, but I opted for the 4S then cut nearly all the lux items. All aside from the wheels, storage package, and dark silver interior trim and folding mirrors. I don't even have 14 wheel seats, but I made room for RAS and the Performance Battery in my build.

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
I have the RAS in my Panamera since 3.5 years now and can highly recommend this option, especially in city driving, turning and parking. Sometimes it feels like it is turning around with the rear wheels standing at the same point.

An important point, which is hardly mentioned in the forum, is that this relatively long car drives AROUND the corner - by that I mean that you don't pull the rear wheels with you, but that you feel that they are turning with you. With the Model S we sometimes had the situation that we reached the curb with the rear wheel on the inside of the curve. In my opinion, this is a big advantage of the RAS

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
I think not taking the 14 way seats is a big mistake!

With this option you add a lot of comfort to your vehicle as lumbar support, more comfy seat bolsters, moving head reasts, comfort entry function, memory package, electric steering column …

Skip the silver trim, the black one is also beautiful and take the 14-way seats if your budget is limited. The storage package is useless in my opinion.

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
I treated myself to the RWS for the Taycan, not out of rational considerations, but more out of curiosity. My previous Panamera didn't have it.
My jaw still drops whenever I use it while maneuvering.
Sponsored