Rear axle steering (RAS) - gimmick or?

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
This is also an option I will be thinking about a lot. On paper the 2.8 degree turning radius it adds does not seem that much but a lot of people on these forums rate it a must have.
Be careful of "must haves" on the forum... you will end up speccing everything available on the configurator!
Sponsored

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
You can order the Taycan completely without any specs and you will also be a lucky driver. It always depends what car are you coming from.

BUT many of the must haves add a „nice to have feeling” for every day driving :)

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Be careful of "must haves" on the forum... you will end up speccing everything available on the configurator!
This is very good advice. I am still over a month away from my freeze date on December delivery and keep adding options due to this darn forum.

• Haha
Reactions: B61

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
It can also be the worst advice you get on the forum. If you then, after buying, regret not ordering few of the great options Porsche is offering - this would be an expensive lesson not taking the car exactly how you like it.

Must haves are only the options you MUST HAVE to feel great in your car. And so is the strategy of Porsche. Everybody can configure the car exactly what his needs and wants are.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's interesting how these "must have" option threads evolve from a question to replies that are weighted in favor (because those with the option tend to opine) to caution about taking such advice because soon you'll be checking every box on the configurator, and concluding with wondering why the question was asked in the first place. If money is no object, I'd say most of the options out there are 'nice to have.' Regarding rear axle steering, I have it on my 911 and Taycan, have driven the same models without it - and would definitely spec it again.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Regarding rear axle steering, I have it on my 911 and Taycan, have driven the same models without it - and would definitely spec it again
I know we can get creeping options. It’s too easy to click a button and spend $2000. :)

Do you think Porsche marketing does this on purpose? But being able to option a car is one of the big advantages over a Tesla.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know we can get creeping options. It’s too easy to click a button and spend $2000. :)

Do you think Porsche marketing does this on purpose? But being able to option a car is one of the big advantages over a Tesla.
Porsche has this down to a science.... there's a reason why they're the most profitable auto manufacturer on the planet. Very strategic in how they decide on standard features vs. options and how they bundle certain options. But on the other hand their options are not only tempting but of good quality - especially the performance options. The cars are excellent to begin with, but the options can raise things a notch. My biggest eye-opener was going from a rather lightly spec'd 911 Carrera 4S to a 911 Turbo S. The drive/handling improvements with RAS, PDCC, PTV, etc. were astounding. So my subsequent Targa got RAS and PDCC, and the Taycan got RAS. Passed on PDCC with such a low center of gravity. Don't regret it, but again, excellent cars without as well.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I didn't build my Taycan (purchased CPO) but I got every option I wanted except RAS ?

I know "must have" is overused on this forum but I think this is one of the few must have options—especially if you're coming from a smaller car.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
I have to reverse into my garage at a 135 ° angle. With RAS, I can do that in one go now. Very nice.

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
I think not taking the 14 way seats is a big mistake!

With this option you add a lot of comfort to your vehicle as lumbar support, more comfy seat bolsters, moving head reasts, comfort entry function, memory package, electric steering column …

Skip the silver trim, the black one is also beautiful and take the 14-way seats if your budget is limited. The storage package is useless in my opinion.
Noted. The 8 way seat as far as I am concerned is only missing the lumbar support, which is fine for me. It still has the side bolster adjustments.

I needed some contrast to break up the black interior, silver helps, with colored seatbelts. Never used the memory feature in my BMW, to each their own.

Yeah the storage package was like 280, may be useless, but at the time I was under the impression the non storage package got a different center console, later found out that hole still exists. Just not the rubber or something to that effect.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Noted. The 8 way seat as far as I am concerned is only missing the lumbar support, which is fine for me. It still has the side bolster adjustments.
I'm not trying to influence your decision on the 8 way seats one way or the other but, just so you know, here is the description from the Porsche web site of the features of the 8 way seats. Side bolsters are not adjustable. In fact they aren't adjustable on the 14 way seats either; just the 18 way.

Another difference between the 8 way and 14 way (in addition to lumbar) is that the thigh support extends on the 14 way, but not the 8 way. And then there's the memory package difference but you already knew that one.

Just FYI.

Porsche Taycan Rear axle steering (RAS) - gimmick or? 8 way seats.JPG

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
To the original question: RAS is not a gimmick. It cuts your turning radius by a small but significant amount.
True! My previous Audi A7 was of similar size but much harder to navigate and park in large city driving. If you are in such an environment, RAS is simply great!

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
I'm not trying to influence your decision on the 8 way seats one way or the other but, just so you know, here is the description from the Porsche web site of the features of the 8 way seats. Side bolsters are not adjustable. In fact they aren't adjustable on the 14 way seats either; just the 18 way.

Another difference between the 8 way and 14 way (in addition to lumbar) is that the thigh support extends on the 14 way, but not the 8 way. And then there's the memory package difference but you already knew that one.

Just FYI.

8 way seats.JPG
The 8 way also comes with 3 memory settings, and doesn't have side pocket cargo nets, or back cargo nets. For anyone reading this.