Rear axle steering

Do you have rear-axle steering, or have you ordered it, or do you plan to order it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I put a deposit down on a Turbo a few weeks ago. My current configuration: PLUX4HT0

I've been going back and forth on whether to add rear axle steering. I have a couple of weeks before my configuration is locked to make a decision. Things I'm taking into consideration:
  • This is my daily driver, and my commute is all of five miles (though the pandemic has drastically reduced even that)
  • The additional weight of the rear steering hardware and the impact on performance. Anyone know how much extra weight is involved?
  • Potential maintenance issues. I brought this up in another thread and at least one person chimed in with experience on another Porsche vehicle, saying that it had been trouble-free. But to me it's still one more thing to potentially break.
So I thought I'd ask for other people's opinions. The poll for what decisions/orders you've made, and maybe replies with your reasoning? What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Yesterday while backing out of my driveway I almost hit my mailbox because the turning radius is that tight and amazing with the rear wheel steering. Well worth it, IMO.

But do be extra careful around mailboxes.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
RAS is interesting. If you've never experienced it, you won't know the difference.. but if you ever drive a car with it, you'll feel terrible that you didn't spec it.

It's the single most impactful option you can check, as it makes a very positive impact at all times. PDCC I'd pass on. PTV+ I like but is subtle. But RAS is amazing, especially on the Taycan. Keep in mind it helps equally for grocery runs as it does for mountain roads. The smaller turning radius makes darting around lots and heavy traffic feel very good.

But if you really don't want to spec it, just be certain you NEVER drive a Taycan with it and you'll never know the difference.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm looking forward to dodging road hazards without a sharp wheel turn. As far as added weight, from the videos I've seen of the rear suspension, it appears the basic functionality is there except for the actuator if you don't order this option.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I don’t have it because I bought one of the Launch cars. But I would have spec’ed it if I had it built to my desires.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
It's the single most impactful option you can check, as it makes a very positive impact at all times.
I totally agree that it is very impactful. Even as a daily driver, RWS really comes in handy making U turns. I read somewhere that it reduces the turning radius by 3 feet. Since I have a 4S instead of the Turbo or Turbo S, I did not spec PDCC or PTV+, but I chose RWS to help with the handling on the twisties. Going forward my cars will always have RWS if it is available.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I don’t recall seeing it as an option when I configured my build. I don’t have it locked in yet. I will have to check. I really want RWS for all the reasons mentioned above - handling, turning radius in my tight underground garage, etc.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t recall seeing it as an option when I configured my build. I don’t have it locked in yet. I will have to check. I really want RWS for all the reasons mentioned above - handling, turning radius in my tight underground garage, etc.
It is actually called Rear Axle Steering. You can select it as part of the Performance Package or as I did as a standalone option under the Performance category.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
It is actually called Rear Axle Steering. You can select it as part of the Performance Package or as I did as a standalone option under the Performance category.
Thanks! Found it - it wasn’t in the Performance section. It was in standard features under Suspension “Power Steering Plus incl. Rear Axle Steering”.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks! Found it - it wasn’t in the Performance section. It was in standard features under Suspension “Power Steering Plus incl. Rear Axle Steering”.
Glad you found it. It looks like the configurations on the Build Your Porsche page are a little different for the US and Canada.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Glad you found it. It looks like the configurations on the Build Your Porsche page are a little different for the US and Canada.
yeah, there are subtle country differences I have noticed. For example, HVAC is standard here as well but not in other countries.

OP
OP
thenaimis

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Turbo S has it standard in the US, I think. No idea about other markets.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have it on my Turbo and I love it..
Sponsored