Rear bicycle carrier USA?

paran01d_andr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 718 Spyder, 2021 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
My order for a Taycan 4S CT is about to lock in 5 days or so.

I saw that the "Rear bicycle carrier" is listed in the Tequipment catalog:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod...c=product&pr=283354FA0A0E89FDC1257981004A3362

It states that it's, "Only for vehicles with rear bike rack preparation (order no. NG1)"

Since there is no option "NG1" on the online configurator, is it safe to assume that this is a standard configuration on USA spec models?

I have the same question out to my SA. He didn't see any option to check for "NG1", but I figure I'd ask the group to see if anyone already knew the answer.
Sponsored

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
My order for a Taycan 4S CT is about to lock in 5 days or so.

I saw that the "Rear bicycle carrier" is listed in the Tequipment catalog:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=Taycan&ma=PCNA (LL)&sp=12&bt=J1&mo=Taycan 4S Cross Turismo&co=100&ac=product&pr=283354FA0A0E89FDC1257981004A3362

It states that it's, "Only for vehicles with rear bike rack preparation (order no. NG1)"

Since there is no option "NG1" on the online configurator, is it safe to assume that this is a standard configuration on USA spec models?

I have the same question out to my SA. He didn't see any option to check for "NG1", but I figure I'd ask the group to see if anyone already knew the answer.
From my SA:
"Spoke with our area trainer and he said its ready to go for the bike rack, he also mentioned the rack is awesome, you can even lower the front of it down so to load the bikes and open the hatch.
The rack cost is $2138.94, not in stock yet"

Last edited:

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
From my SA:
Spoke with our area trainer and he said its ready to go for the bike rack, he also mentioned the rack is awesome, you can even lower the front of it down so to load the bikes and open the hatch.
The rack cost is $2138.94, not in stock yet
Does this mean the USA spec has the rear bike PREP for the USA Taycan Cross Turismo already installed? Meaning we do not need to configure this (its standard)?

OP
OP

paran01d_andr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 718 Spyder, 2021 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
I got the rack added to my order as well. Seem like a pretty clean solution :)

@jlee504 SA says it will be available in May

@dickp I'm hoping your information is correct.

@nafzal80 My SA wasn't sure if the prep was standard, but IS making the assumption that if anything needs to be added, having the rack on the order should take care of it. trackyourdream says I take delivery on July 16th. Only way to know for sure is to see if anyone is taking delivery before then that didn't order the rack.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
From my SA:
"Spoke with our area trainer and he said its ready to go for the bike rack, he also mentioned the rack is awesome, you can even lower the front of it down so to load the bikes and open the hatch.
Thule have had that design for years and undoubtedly make this (and the others for Porsche). I was hoping for a proper trailer hitch so that I could use my existing (tilting) cycle carrier but OH NO Porsche have over engineered it and don’t now support a regular trailer hitch fitting (its 1/4 the price too). Pretty disappointed.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Were you able to add it to your build, or did you have to order it separately? Also, what dealer got an allocation this early? Mine is due for delivery 9/3 and I haven't gotten a build lock date from Marin.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Were you able to add it to your build, or did you have to order it separately? Also, what dealer got an allocation this early? Mine is due for delivery 9/3 and I haven't gotten a build lock date from Marin.
I won’t be ordering until MY23 (next year) and was holding out for a proper tow hitch on the Sport Turismo so that I could re-use my existing carrier. I got excited when I saw the Cross Turismo as it was pictured with what looked like a ball hitch towbar but alas the reality became this monstrosity.

I will opt for the Sport Turismo (don’t like the afterthought plastic add-ons to the exterior of the Cross Turismo) assuming it becomes available and for now stick with my 4S saloon.

I imagine the fittings are identical for Europe and US so the part number you have is likely the correct one. The key thing is to have the attachment factory installed in readiness for the carrier as I doubt if it can be retrofitted any time soon.

The configurator in UK doesn’t have the cycle carrier as an option just the attachment. The Tequipment site doesn’t have it either. If you look at the German / Dutch / Belgian configurator you can select it I think or at least order separately via Porsche Tequipment (other folks on the forum have).

I would consider waiting for a MY22 car then - current software dramas will be gone by then - if delivery not until Sep’21. Orders will be taken in the summer for MY22 (Nov - Dec’21 delivery, Europe for example).

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Does this mean the USA spec has the rear bike PREP for the USA Taycan Cross Turismo already installed? Meaning we do not need to configure this (its standard)?
I doubt that it comes already installed without any notice.

In Sweden, the rack preparation is part of the default "Nordic Package" (together with heat pump and all four seats heated). Still, NG1 appears as an item in the configurator at zero cost. It also appears as a separate item in my order/contract.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I doubt that it comes already installed without any notice.

In Sweden, the rack preparation is part of the default "Nordic Package" (together with heat pump and all four seats heated). Still, NG1 appears as an item in the configurator at zero cost. It also appears as a separate item in my order/contract.
No I doubt it. It is an option and is priced accordingly. There are two parts - the concealed mount (factory fit) and the carrier itself. The dealer should be able to confirm but in Europe it is all additional cost.

typ993

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Porsche Carrera 4
Country flag
Thule have had that design for years and undoubtedly make this (and the others for Porsche). I was hoping for a proper trailer hitch so that I could use my existing (tilting) cycle carrier but OH NO Porsche have over engineered it and don’t now support a regular trailer hitch fitting (its 1/4 the price too). Pretty disappointed.
I test drove a Taycan and commented on the lack of hitch for the CT. The SA claimed it was because Porsche didn't want people towing with it. Doesn't seem to have stopped Tesla putting a hitch on the Model X.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I test drove a Taycan and commented on the lack of hitch for the CT. The SA claimed it was because Porsche didn't want people towing with it. Doesn't seem to have stopped Tesla putting a hitch on the Model X.
Lame excuse if ever there was one. Thanks for seeking an 'opinion'.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
No I doubt it. It is an option and is priced accordingly. There are two parts - the concealed mount (factory fit) and the carrier itself. The dealer should be able to confirm but in Europe it is all additional cost.
I was told this is the case actually. That’s how it works. US also gets pano roof standard. Part of bringing cars to a country is deciding how to package them and the available options.

Rgee27

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8, Mamba 4 Cross Turismo on order
Country flag
From my SA:
That's a pretty fair price if the prep is already installed on USA cars. Was that a discounted price? Cost seems so randomly priced at $2138.94!

SeattleYates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, PanameraTurbo,993cab,i8/M5/M3/914
Country flag
Is this strictly available on the CT?
Is anything similar available for standard Taycans?
Sponsored