Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Got my car this weekend. Feel very uneasy driving without a dash cam so it's always the first thing I put in all my cars. Been using this rear view mirror type for my last 3 cars as they all have poor rear visibility. This gives clear an unobstructed view behind the car and can auto lower the view to see bottom portion when backing up if you wire its reverse signal wire to the reverse light. Quality is much better than stock backup camera. I can't believe Porsche put such a horrible quality backup camera on this car.

Front records in 4K and rear in 1080P. Bitrate is 25Mbps for front and 10Mbps for rear. File size is roughly 270MB per minute. It will turn on with the car and turns off with the car. I used the 12v cigarette socket in the center arm rest. That port stays on 15-20min after the car turns off so it will keep recording for that long. Not ideal but I don't want to use fuse tap for this as I want a quick process to remove it for when bring the car in for service. Is it needed? Any advice on this?

Porsche Taycan Rear View Mirror 4K + 1080p Dash Cam Option for CT4 Dashcam1
Porsche Taycan Rear View Mirror 4K + 1080p Dash Cam Option for CT4 Dashcam2
Porsche Taycan Rear View Mirror 4K + 1080p Dash Cam Option for CT4 Dashcam3

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomato

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
A quick update.

Decided to hardwire for continuous recording and zero startup time. The hardwire kit has auto shut off if car battery level dips below 13v. Battery still shows 13.5v after 6 months of continuous use. Many options on Amazon but the one I got is from Pormido.

Last edited:

PierreTT

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Awesome for backing up the car
Not sure when moving forward though...
I had a similar rear camera in my GMC truck and always prefered the mirror.
You got used to watch a TV instead of a mirror?

Last edited:

R__

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
Do you have some more details on how you did the wiring and where you mounted the backup camera? Very interested in this as the backup cam is terrible and there’s not much visibility looking at the rearview mirror anyway.

LongLive959

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Hmmm this is interesting. I love the always on backup camera in my Model S, and see it has one (small) drawback of the Taycan. Maybe this is my solution

OP
OP
Tomato

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Do you have some more details on how you did the wiring and where you mounted the backup camera? Very interested in this as the backup cam is terrible and there’s not much visibility looking at the rearview mirror anyway.
I ran the wire through the rubber seal around the A pillar then along the edge of the headliner all the way to the back. Hardest part is feeding it through the rubber conduit on the hatch and the headliner. You don't have to use the rubber conduit if you don't mind seeing the cable going across from the headliner to the camera. Here's before and after feeding it through the rubber conduit.

I have a CT so the rubber conduit might be at a different location on a sedan.
Porsche Taycan Rear View Mirror 4K + 1080p Dash Cam Option for CT4 Dashcam4
Porsche Taycan Rear View Mirror 4K + 1080p Dash Cam Option for CT4 Taycan_Dash_Cam_Mount
Porsche Taycan Rear View Mirror 4K + 1080p Dash Cam Option for CT4 Dashcam5

OP
OP
Tomato

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Awesome for backing up the car
Not sure when moving forward though...
I had a similar rear camera in my GMC truck and always prefered the mirror.
You got used to watch a TV instead of a mirror?
I know it lacks depth perception viewing a screen but even with a mirror, it doesn't help much viewing through the car's tiny rear window. With the screen, at least the view is not obstructed and is very wide. I can see cars across 3 lanes behind me and they can be as close as 1ft and I can still see them. Very helpful with the massive blind spot on the rear pillars.

R__

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
I ran the wire through the rubber seal around the A pillar then along the edge of the headliner all the way to the back. Hardest part is feeding it through the rubber conduit on the hatch and the headliner. You don't have to use the rubber conduit if you don't mind seeing the cable going across from the headliner to the camera. Here's before and after feeding it through the rubber conduit.

I have a CT so the rubber conduit might be at a different location on a sedan.
Appreciate it! Going to take the plunge with one also. Any tips on hardwiring into the fuse box?
Sponsored