Rear Wheel Steering vs Remote Park Assist - Which works best?

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I just got off the phone with my SA and am close to locking features. I had gone with RWS b/c I heard it helps parking the car (which my wife is challenged to do), and improves driving performance. But he was pitching the Technology Package b/c the remote park assist makes parallel parking a breeze and its a feature he uses all the time. "It never damaged my tires," he said, "and works perfectly." My wife would love this feature.

So if I went with the Tech package I'd get the ACC which I had planned to order anyway.

Now I am thinking to replace the RWS with the Tech package. I was not feeling I needed other features in the Tech package (even though I wanted them!) but now it feels like a no-brainer. I am already above budget. Opinions please!!
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have both and the auto-park is not reliable in tight European parking spaces. Perhaps it works better in the larger spaces that the US tends to have. I'd be frustrated if I chose it over the RWS, which actually works.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have both and the auto-park is not reliable in tight European parking spaces. Perhaps it works better in the larger spaces that the US tends to have. I'd be frustrated if I chose it over the RWS, which actually works.
@tigerbalm, do you notice the effect of RWS when parking parallel?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I don't find myself doing that much parallel parking. At my apartment complex, I have to reverse into my space with full lock on the wheel (perpendicular parking).

I've parked my Taycan with RWS and loaner Taycan's without it and its noticeable for me in my situation. I've a hunch less so in parallel parking but don't do it enough – as I don't really park my car on the street.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I don't find myself doing that much parallel parking. At my apartment complex, I have to reverse into my space with full lock on the wheel (perpendicular parking).

I've parked my Taycan with RWS and loaner Taycan's without it and its noticeable for me in my situation. I've a hunch less so in parallel parking but don't do it enough – as I don't really park my car on the street.
Thanks, I landed on another thread a moment ago and it seems there is a ton of confusion around whether the Tech package includes Remote Park Assist, Active Parking Assist, or both. Now, I need to figure that as well.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love my tech features, but things like RWS, PTV+ and PDCC - are "old" style performance extras on almost all Porsche's. These things are refined, work and add value. I picked all of them. They are by no means "must have's", but in my opinion they will add more to the "feeling" that makes your Porsche a Porsche.

Also, as they are more mechanical in nature, they'll age better. The auto-park isn't great now and it will age fast. In 5 years time, it won't be competitive. The RWS will work just as well in 15 years time!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, I landed on another thread a moment ago and it seems there is a ton of confusion around whether the Tech package includes Remote Park Assist, Active Parking Assist, or both. Now, I need to figure that as well.
We've no packs of any sort available here in Ireland. There can be a lot of difference between basic/standard features in these cars between markets. So make sure to keep an eye on where the person making the comments is from.

For example, I can't speak to the US options packs at all.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
I love my tech features, but things like RWS, PTV+ and PDCC - are "old" style performance extras on almost all Porsche's. These things are refined, work and add value. I picked all of them. They are by no means "must have's", but in my opinion they will add more to the "feeling" that makes your Porsche a Porsche.

Also, as they are more mechanical in nature, they'll age better. The auto-park isn't great now and it will age fast. In 5 years time, it won't be competitive. The RWS will work just as well in 15 years time!
The Tech Package is (or was, as of MY21) priced weirdly in the US. If you select ACC and HUD, upgrading to the Tech Package costs only $100 extra and also adds auto-park and the passenger display. Those latter two are features I would never have selected on their own, but for $100, they're worth it to me for the novelty alone. But if I didn't want the HUD, for example, it'd be a much tougher sell.
Sponsored