CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG GTS Mercedes GLC300, Honda CRV
Country flag
I noticed a small chip inside of the rear glass where the third brake lite meets the glass. At first, you could only see it when the sun was shinning and you were in the right place to see it. Now after several days, it's turned into a silver dollar, spider crack. Car is a week old. I had the windows tinted from a place Porsche takes their cars to be tinted.

I'm sure when I take it to the dealer on Monday, they will place the blame on the window tinting shop. I've had too may cars tinted to know that's not the issue. They use a soft squeegee to install the tint. Nothing the could cause this damage. It's in a location that you'd be lucky to touch that spot with your finger.

What do you guys think? Think that the dealer will warranty the damage? Anyone know what a Porsche Taycan rear glass cost?

Update, Porsche is replacing rear glass on Warranty. Happy!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I noticed a small chip inside of the rear glass where the third brake lite meets the glass. At first, you could only see it when the sun was shinning and you were in the right place to see it. Now after several days, it's turned into a silver dollar, spider crack. Car is a week old. I had the windows tinted from a place Porsche takes their cars to be tinted.

I'm sure when I take it to the dealer on Monday, they will place the blame on the window tinting shop. I've had too may cars tinted to know that's not the issue. They use a soft squeegee to install the tint. Nothing the could cause this damage. It's in a location that you'd be lucky to touch that spot with your finger.

What do you guys think? Think that the dealer will warranty the damage? Anyone know what a Porsche Taycan rear glass cost?
Adding to what @Jhenson29 said, there are prior threads that may be related. Here's a post with a technical service bulletin for cracked rear window.

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag

Happened to me. Recognised taycan 'issue' replaced under warranty. DO NOT accept anything but a good loan car while in!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT on order
Country flag

Sorry a bit off topic but where did you take your car to for the tint? I’m going to the PECLA to pick up my taycan this summer in LA and I’d love to get a tint/PFF before the drive home to Utah.

OP
OP
CAracer

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry a bit off topic but where did you take your car to for the tint? I’m going to the PECLA to pick up my taycan this summer in LA and I’d love to get a tint/PFF before the drive home to Utah.

Xpel in Austin, TX They charged me $429. for a total of seven windows. They did a great job and made the car look even better if that's possible.

OP
OP
CAracer

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Happened to me. Recognised taycan 'issue' replaced under warranty. DO NOT accept anything but a good loan car while in!
Good advice, thank you. How long did it take for them to get to it? Was the glass in stock?

OP
OP
CAracer

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
Good advice, thank you. How long did it take for them to get to it? Was the glass in stock?
Nope. Took at least 3-4 weeks before it went in. Meantime as the crack was elongating insisted they put safety film covering over it in case it collapsed in on any rear passengers.

mhockett

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I was driving yesterday afternoon from one store to another and my rear window cracked from the bottom up in the center. When the crack reached the bottom, it actually chipped at the edge. I immediately went to this forum to see if others had the same problem. Hoping they have some in stock.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Well known issue. Dealer should replace for free, if there is available inventory. When mine occurred 6 months ago, there was only one window in all of the US.
Sponsored