Reasons NOT to spec the noise/thermal glass option!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
They are illegal here. It is a $2K fine and loss of 9 demerit points (out of 13 available) which for most people using radar detectors is a loss of licence.
There is a community in your neck of the woods with radar/laser systems, at least I see them on rdforum.org. Now I know why they value stealth installations so much.

A proper stealth radar install is not detectable by cops, unless you tell me cops are allowed to take your car into pieces on a suspicion of having a radar detector installed, AND they know the difference between BSM or ADAS radar antennas (they come with Taycan too if you option adaptive cruise control and LCA) and an actual radar detector (which comes in many shapes and sizes too).
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
No, the one I like - got it with my first Porsche in 1998 - is the Valentine One which is internal only.

That's quite a penalty. They are legal in most states here.
I believe they are still illegal here in the UK and have been for decades. The police were entitled to seize the device if they find one and seize the car if it has been built in.

So not a reason to not choose noise insulated glass here ;)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, the one I like - got it with my first Porsche in 1998 - is the Valentine One which is internal only.
I was using V1's since mid 90's. My favorite radar detector of all time. I even converted one into a remote mount (roof mounted) in the late 90's as I lived somewhere where they were illegal. Even got pulled over on a suspicion of having one, but the cops never found it. Unfortunately I had to stop using V1s in 2015 once I switched to Tesla insulated glass. Started using remote mounts exclusively. I have been missing the V1 functionality however, so now I'm considering building in yet another remote version of V1, by mounting it in weatherproof enclosure on a roof rail or under the floor (so that it has a clear reception from the front and back, for directional warnings - roof better for reception, under floor better for stealth). Will I ever complete it? Not sure, depending on available time and will power. I am starting with a complete ALP install (front and back radar and laser), so if that works ok, I might loose the will power to integrate V1 into it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe they are still illegal here in the UK and have been for decades. The police were entitled to seize the device if they find one and seize the car if it has been built in.

So not a reason to not choose noise insulated glass here ;)
How far are the cops allowed to go looking for it, to prove you have one so they can seize the car? Can they take you Taycan apart piece by piece, then leave it on the side of the road saying "sorry, we thought you had a radar detector, please take care putting your car together"? If not, you can definitely get stealth installs the cops will never find unless they take the car apart.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
How far are the cops allowed to go looking for it, to prove you have one so they can seize the car? Can they take you Taycan apart piece by piece, then leave it on the side of the road saying "sorry, we thought you had a radar detector, please take care putting your car together"? If not, you can definitely get stealth installs the cops will never find unless they take the car apart.
No idea, I stopped using one about 30 years ago!

There are far fewer police than there used to be due to government budget cuts and whilst the different countries in the Union have different approach to speed traps England, where I live, has mainly signs showing a hazardous stretch of road with speed cameras.
Wales, where our daughter lives has concealed traps and the only 2 fines I have had in recent years were from Wales.
Scotland where our brothers live has much stricter speed controls, including average speed checks.

In general most of the speed limits are in sensible places, I would say, so in towns driving to the speed limit makes total sense and only halfwits speed in town. Out on the open road there aren't many speed traps and on motorways here traffic density is often the problem, not speed traps!

OTOH it is daft to have fixed speed limits here. Speeding on a foggy stretch of the M1 in the midlands at a busy time is just stupid, whereas on a beautiful evening on a quiet stretch of the M6 in Cumbria having the same limit makes no sense at all.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No idea, I stopped using one about 30 years ago!

There are far fewer police than there used to be due to government budget cuts and whilst the different countries in the Union have different approach to speed traps England, where I live, has mainly signs showing a hazardous stretch of road with speed cameras.
Wales, where our daughter lives has concealed traps and the only 2 fines I have had in recent years were from Wales.
Scotland where our brothers live has much stricter speed controls, including average speed checks.

In general most of the speed limits are in sensible places, I would say, so in towns driving to the speed limit makes total sense and only halfwits speed in town. Out on the open road there aren't many speed traps and on motorways here traffic density is often the problem, not speed traps!

OTOH it is daft to have fixed speed limits here. Speeding on a foggy stretch of the M1 in the midlands at a busy time is just stupid, whereas on a beautiful evening on a quiet stretch of the M6 in Cumbria having the same limit makes no sense at all.
Different countries approach speed limits differently. In the US it seems it's a revenue generator in a lot of places. There are parts I know of that driving a speed limit causes an actually dangerous situation. I demonstrated this once to my wife, driving strict speed limit as per signs, to the point where she got really angry at me yelling "are you TRYING to cause an accident?" as other motorist passed us in anger. I experienced it even more when traveling through the US and in some places doing 10mph over the speed limit I was actually the slowest traffic on that highway, causing backups! As a teenager in Canada I actually got pulled over for doing the speed limit (30km/h in construction zone, highway reduced to a single lane), but the cop wouldn't give me a ticket despite me asking for it (at that time I had another speeding ticket I was about to challenge in court, so having a ticket for doing "only" a speed limit would help my case, or so was my thought process).

Last edited:

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
My reference are the last 3 cars I've owned over 10 years each and 5-8x the mileage and none of them look as pitted. I guess they don't make glass like they used to.
car sits much lower with a very low dash (statistically more rocks would reach the windshield than typical vehicle)

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
The "tough to break in case of accident" aspect is what I always wonder about.
Shouldn't there be regulations around that? Or do all first responders know immediately what to do with that type of glass?

I guess the same for all the electric doors, and especially stuff like Tesla falcon doors.

They have all kinds of dumb regulation out there, but nothing around making sure people can be safely and quickly pulled out of cars in the case of emergency?
There was a thread a while back about someone who had the insulated glass and their car was broken into while in a parking garage. While it clearly took a while to get in, the thief was able to break the glass and damaged the paint, I believe. Point is if a criminal with some time can do it, I’d expect trained rescue personnel with the right tools to be able to get in easily. Now, getting out on your own may be a different story.

GreenHornet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4 Mamba Green
Country flag

That's quite a penalty. They are legal in most states here.
How can you tell the radar on the Porsche dashcam does not work? As far as I can tell it works fine for me and I have the double glass....

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There was a thread a while back about someone who had the insulated glass and their car was broken into while in a parking garage. While it clearly took a while to get in, the thief was able to break the glass and damaged the paint, I believe. Point is if a criminal with some time can do it, I’d expect trained rescue personnel with the right tools to be able to get in easily. Now, getting out on your own may be a different story.
Well, depending on where that Taycan was parked, the criminal in question might have had a lot more time to break into the car than I would want to spend in a burning vehicle while rescue personnel work on the glass. :)

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Here's the link to the broken thermal glass incident for anyone else who hasn't seen it. I'd take the theft deterrent over the smaller risk of being trapped inside under water or on fire. Just make sure you select a low glass insurance deductible because you will be replacing it at some point.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...nce-with-thermally-noise-insulted-glass.9166/

And if you want to read some funny followup posts, read these too -
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/break-in.9160/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...n-about-leaving-valuables-in-the-taycan.9382/

Last edited:

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
There is a community in your neck of the woods with radar/laser systems, at least I see them on rdforum.org. Now I know why they value stealth installations so much.

A proper stealth radar install is not detectable by cops, unless you tell me cops are allowed to take your car into pieces on a suspicion of having a radar detector installed, AND they know the difference between BSM or ADAS radar antennas (they come with Taycan too if you option adaptive cruise control and LCA) and an actual radar detector (which comes in many shapes and sizes too).
Thanks for the tip. I will check out rdforum. For a novice like me it would not only be about the tech but how to install given they are illegal. And yes police can do a deep inspection of your vehicle. Given the shift to unmanned mobile cameras this becomes less of a risk.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
How can you tell the radar on the Porsche dashcam does not work? As far as I can tell it works fine for me and I have the double glass....
Fair question. I tested by waving my arms in front of the car in the garage after it was sitting for a while, but I didn't know at the time it was configured for a 1hr timeout. I've since corrected that, but I also switched to video analysis which did work for waking up and videoing me.

I'll test with radar again.

I've decided there's no reason to run the parking mode when I'm safe in the garage, which is most of the time, so I'll probably only use that feature when I'm parked somewhere.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
My sister just purchased a 2023 Jeep Wrangler. Its front windshield is made of Gorilla Glass. That would be a neat option to have on the Taycan, or any car for that matter.

captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Which window breaker tools do you guys have in the car in case of emergency? I read that the insulated glass is laminated and many of the glass breaker tools don't work well on that.
Sponsored