Recall campaign updates crashing

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My dealer has had my car for a week and a half to apply the recall update. They say they are halfway through the six steps, and now it keeps crashing. They’ve had to reach out to Porsche and are waiting to hear back. Anyone else have this problem with the update?
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
No, but scheduled appointment for recall tomorrow. 2021 RWD.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My dealer has had my car for a week and a half to apply the recall update. They say they are halfway through the six steps, and now it keeps crashing. They’ve had to reach out to Porsche and are waiting to hear back. Anyone else have this problem with the update?
I guess you did not have update WMA5 before so what is crashing is not the actual recall update but the WMA update which is applied to every car that didn't have it as part of the update.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
No, but scheduled appointment for recall tomorrow. 2021 RWD.
Hennessy put the recall update in my RWD car on July 2nd . Car was ready 3 hours after drop off. They indicated no issues. Since our cars are basically the same "vintage", I'll bet it goes just fine.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Hennessy put the recall update in my RWD car on July 2nd . Car was ready 3 hours after drop off. They indicated no issues. Since our cars are basically the same "vintage", I'll bet it goes just fine.
That's right - we shared a boat! ;) Did you have any issues before and/or after?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I just got a call from my service advisor warning me that it's not a great idea to bring it in on a Saturday because "some of these updates are not going smooth and it can take all day."

I am SO OVER THIS already. This will be my second visit to get a simple software update which my wife's Tesla does in the garage overnight with zero drama.

The CEO of Porsche said it takes about an hour and that is my expectation.

Starting to get really pissed off.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
That's right - we shared a boat! ;) Did you have any issues before and/or after?
Except for the 3 weeks it took Porsche servers to get Connect to work in the car, it's been perfect and way more than I ever expected.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I just got a call from my service advisor warning me that it's not a great idea to bring it in on a Saturday because "some of these updates are not going smooth and it can take all day."

I am SO OVER THIS already. This will be my second visit to get a simple software update which my wife's Tesla does in the garage overnight with zero drama.

The CEO of Porsche said it takes about an hour and that is my expectation.

Starting to get really pissed off.

@DerekS :

I would question that service advisor because I dropped my 4s today at 10am and picked it up at 3:30pm with the AMB5 fix loaded successfully. My dealership in Denver also said they updated 3 or 4 other ones over the past couple of days.

I get that you are frustrated, but you have been on the board long enough to understand that Porsche and the Taycan are not perfect, and that they are still figuring things out on an almost daily basis. Launching a new electric car is hard, like really hard. Just ask Telsa. I mean Rivian today dropped that they are pushing back their first deliveries by another month.

Now that you know that there have been other successful AMB5 updates applied, I would use that with your Service Advisor and press that they get you in to apply the fix ASAP.

Paul

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you already have WMA5/6 the update process is as simple as connecting the PIWIS and choose the auto-update option (for PE and DME modules only). It doesn't take long and then the technician takes the car for a quick road test just to make sure everything is fine. It should not take more than an our of actual work.

I bet the problematic updates are for cars that did not have WMA5/6 where instead of updating only PE and DME, they have to apply the gigantic WMA update which as we know from many other threads fail for many cars and in some cases it fries some modules and owners have to wait for weeks for replacement parts.

So how easy and risky the update is depends on what version your car is currently running.

RehobothTaycan1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
If you already have WMA5/6 the update process is as simple as connecting the PIWIS and choose the auto-update option (for PE and DME modules only). It doesn't take long and then the technician takes the car for a quick road test just to make sure everything is fine. It should not take more than an our of actual work.

I bet the problematic updates are for cars that did not have WMA5/6 where instead of updating only PE and DME, they have to apply the gigantic WMA update which as we know from many other threads fail for many cars and in some cases it fries some modules and owners have to wait for weeks for replacement parts.

So how easy and risky the update is depends on what version your car is currently running.
Is there a way to tell which version my car is running?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is there a way to tell which version my car is running?
I believe if you have WMA5/6 then your PCM version should be 3397. You can see the PCM version somewhere in the PCM settings.
If you have a lower PCM version then your car is not having WMA yet.

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My update took exactly one hour. Sorry to hear others are having issues. I trust the service departments that are having difficulty are experienced? I agree compared to Tesla updates over the air it's a real pain having go bring it in every time. My car was actually in the shop for power rewire as part of another campaign when the software update come through so they added that on to work for the day. With my 911 TTS 991.2 I visited the dealer may be once a year. With the Taycan I beat that record in the first 3 months and then some! At some point I hope we get a dry patch! One can hope.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also no but WMA5, AMB5 and WMA7 campaigns carried out successfully. Noticeable improvements experienced. More to follow later. MY2021 owners manual received.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Taycan is a new model and they want to do things properly, what is there not to like? Because you need to have an extra drive to the shop? Why buy the car, if you don't like to drive it? ;)
Driving isn't the problem - driving it is a joy. It's waiting around the dealership (which I am currently doing, fingers crossed my update goes smooth!)

It's hard not to be frustrated when my wife's Tesla gets updates all the time, at home, without any drama or inconvenience.

I realize Porsche is playing catch up here and I'm willing to give them a lot of rope (I am a fan, after all.). But they really need to make this easier. It's a competitive disadvantage.
Sponsored