DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My dealer refuses to install the recall until it shows on Porsche's system (which as of this morning it still does not.)

I brought printouts of the NHTSA docs showing my VIN in window - doesn't matter, they "can't" do it until it shows on Porsche's side.

Just a heads up if you're eager to get this done as I am.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the dealerships are paid by the mothership for warranty work, if the work isn't approved by porsche dealership runs the risk of not being compensated for warranty work that they do. I know that your situation is illogical but you will need to wait until the mothership gives the OK

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
It's so irritating that a simple software update can't be done at home OTA.

On the other hand, OTA updates for Features on Demand didn't work so perhaps it's good not to trust them with something as important as this!

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
come on!
I am only aware of two car brands that can do OTA Updates: one that sells playstations on 4 wheels and BMW latest 3 series. The latter one I'm not sure if they also allow drive train related parts to be updated.

Am I wrong?

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just to confirm the same for me here in the UK - car in tomorrow for WMA5/7 etc and asked about having the recall work done as well. No dice, they don't have the software yet, so I'll have to return for that.

Frustrating, but I guess understandable.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have mentioned it a couple of times before. The update does not show up as a campaign yet in their system BUT if you experienced the issue the update magically becomes available (Service Advisor cannot see it but the technician can).
There is even a TSB about it
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10194839-0001.pdf

In other words, the updated software can be installed but the dealer does not install it unless it is part of a repair otherwise they cannot be paid by Porsche. The recall docs for the US mention Aug 27 as the date they plan to start notifying dealers and clients so I guess you will have to wait. It is up to you if you want to drive your car till then with a probability 0.x% of stalling while driving.

In my opinion, it is poor customer service to have a software update available for weeks for a known safety issue and not deploy it ASAP. Not to mention the OTA being good only for maps and the weather app...

Last edited:

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
Just to confirm the same for me here in the UK - car in tomorrow for WMA5/7 etc and asked about having the recall work done as well. No dice, they don't have the software yet, so I'll have to return for that.
the document @chrisk shared says it will be included in the WMA5 already:

"This software is now also included in both the WMA5 and WMA6 Campaigns for model year 2020 and 2021 vehicles, respectively"

means: you will get the recall update tomorrow, but more or less payed by the WMA5 campaigns.

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks @chrisk and @rs38

The bulletin flow diagram on page 3 seems to suggest you only get the new SW if you have the fault code, however page 2 does indeed state the latest WMA5 includes the recall update.

I have sent to my dealer for clarification and check they have the latest WMA5 updates.

Thanks again guys.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have mentioned it a couple of times before. The update does not show up as a campaign yet in their system BUT if you experienced the issue the update magically becomes available (Service Advisor cannot see it but the technician can).
There is even a TSB about it
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10194839-0001.pdf

In other words, the updated software can be installed but the dealer does not install it unless it is part of a repair otherwise they cannot be paid by Porsche. The recall docs for the US mention Aug 27 as the date they plan to start notifying dealers and clients so I guess you will have to wait. It is up to you if you want to drive your car till then with a probability 0.x% of stalling while driving.

In my opinion, it is poor customer service to have a software update available for weeks for a known safety issue and not deploy it ASAP. Not to mention the OTA being good only for maps and the weather app...
When I heard that Porsche's "OTA" updates needed the car at the dealership, this is exactly what I was afraid of: it becomes a cost/payments issue for Porsche and the dealerships.

At the time, I'd thought about it more from an investor's perspective: here's a critical agility/cost difference that Tesla and other companies with fully working OTA now have.

I kinda missed the more important part: From a customer perspective, this just went from "conveniently updates in my garage" to "I need to take it to Porsche" to "I need to take it to Porsche and Porsche/the dealer need to agree that my car deserves an update". This is going to go down the same road as arguing for a maps update etc. used to be: rules you have to research, stupid exclusions, and, I'm sure, a few dealers trying to charge for it too.

In other words, this quickly went from inconvenient to a pain-in-the-ass few people do.

luckystone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Do cars produced last week also have this stalling issue or would they have the new update preinstalled?

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Interesting… I stand to be corrected but I think I have already had the recall update. I posted a few weeks ago about my car have drive control fault and stopping. i took it in to check the fault codes and was then asked to book the car in for software patch and a calibration procedure to fix the fault.

time will tell if this is the same as the recall of if there is another fix…..

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
In other words, this quickly went from inconvenient to a pain-in-the-ass few people do.
Could not agree more. I burned 3 hours today to get the FoD issues sort-of-fixed. I really wanted to get the recall done at the same time, now I'll have to return and burn more hours at the dealership.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Could not agree more. I burned 3 hours today to get the FoD issues sort-of-fixed. I really wanted to get the recall done at the same time, now I'll have to return and burn more hours at the dealership.
What did they do to get your FoD fixed? I finally tried activated the ALK free trial and to my surprise, it worked a couple days later. My car is parked in a garage with little to no cell signal so it took a couple drives out and about before it was able to get the ALK update.

I parked my car outside for a few minutes to pick up something from a store and when I got back to the car, it said an update was in progress and that the car was unusable. Minor inconvenience, but a few minutes later, I was able to manually power on the car (I normally use Comfort Access so I never actually use the power button) and ALK was available for use.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
What did they do to get your FoD fixed?
I posted the service notes in a previous message. It looks to me they hard coded the feature flags rather than fix/reset Porsche Connect.
Sponsored