Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
So I placed my Taycan order in the beginning of December 2021 for $92k.

I got an opportunity to pull ahead my order (because of a cancellation) by about 6 weeks.

I thank God for that pull ahead, but not for why you’d think.

They needed me to lock down immediately. At that point I was up to $106k.

That Porsche configurator website is like an evil drug. I can’t tell how many configurations I made in a month and a half, but it was many per day. I averaged increasing my Taycan cost by $2k per week.

That pull ahead allowed me to get the car earlier, but more importantly it allowed me to go cold turkey and to detox off that configurator...
The pull ahead saved me $12k!

I feel like I should now be counseling current addicts…

Out of curiosity, for those recovering configaholics, how deep did the monkey on your back (the configurator) pull you in? And how much time did you carry it?
Sponsored

jam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, '22 Macan S, Taycan 4S CT ordered
Country flag
I feel you. My 4S CT doesn’t lock for another few weeks. I’m rationing my configurator time between now and then. One quick peek per week.

Last week while I was at the dealer signing off the latest changes ( massaging seats :facepalm:) I bought a demonstrator Macan S. It felt so freeing to not have to make any decisions about the spec.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
From the time the CT first appeared in the configurator until last month…I increased my budget by ~$20K USD to fit in all of the goodies I want. In the past month, I have made countless versions at the new budget. Glad to hear I am not alone. It was starting to drive me a bit nuts between making decisions and changes. I think I sent my “final” decision to my SA 5 times. ?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
About a month after delivery. As an over 18 month owner of a Taycan, I have to admit that I have had relapses; I configured a "theoretical" Taycan as recently as two months ago! :CWL:

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
I bought a dealer specced 4S in November 2020. I liked it so much, I decided to buy a Turbo. I spent many hours on the configurator with the cost going higher and higher to a point I concluded that “I might as well buy a Turbo S for that price”, so even more hours spent on a Turbo S spec. It’s a virtual rabbit hole.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag

I got an opportunity to pull ahead my order (because of a cancellation) by about 6 weeks.

That Porsche configurator website is like an evil drug. I can’t tell how many configurations I made in a month and a half, but it was many per day. I averaged increasing my Taycan cost by $2k per week.

That pull ahead allowed me to get the car earlier, but more importantly it allowed me to go cold turkey and to detox off that configurator...

Out of curiosity, for those recovering configaholics, how deep did the monkey on your back (the configurator) pull you in? And how much time did you carry it?
Sadly , help came too late for me. I tried and failed, in my shame I looked to hide my 4S options from myself in a Turbo…alas they then crept onto that too. Just hope I can afford to put that 28p/kWh into it now. If you see someone sitting in the boot/trunk of a Gentian CT, eating a Pot Noodle, whilst everyone else is in the restaurant…probably be me.

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
I guess we can all add 'PhD in Porsche Taycan Configurator' to our LInkedIn profiles!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The Configurator is just the Pusher- the drug is Shopping. The symptom is voluntary Budget Creep. When you're waiting so long for delivery, your original budget starts feeling too sensible, and you start needing an extra hit.
...so says a friend :rolleyes:

brba242

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
You're right, it really is a (ultra expensive) drug ! 15 december I went to the dealer for a RWD and had an offer for 90.000 euro. Two weeks later I was on a Cross Turismo 4 at 104.000 euro because I want to get my bike in the car. Ended up finally 22th of january with a higher speced Sport Turismo at 120.000 euro. Since it's not officially locked yet, my wife has forbidden me to even open the porsche website ? . But I'm lucky with the Sport Turismo, delivery is already end of april so will be locked in very soon. So I've good faith that I will stick with the last command.
But the urge is still there to 'play' a bit with the configurator...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
For those of you who think you're going to quit the configurator after you lock your build, consider the odds that you will be trading your car in a year, eating the highest depreciation drop in order to upgrade to the car you which you could have gotten in the first place. I've done it before. That is how I learned. Hence now when I shop, I try to figure out how to get all the options that I think I would want, so I don't end up having to trade-in a year old car just so I can get options which I could have gotten before with a much lower overall cost. Yea, sometimes it means stretching the budget a bit, but not such that you cannot afford the car though, as nothing ruins the pleasure of owning a car like a payment you cannot afford.

Warning however : the above approach has worked well for me, except during COVID - I could have had some different model+options Taycan by now, but sticking with waiting for what I want, well, 7 months and counting while waiting for even an allocation. Lucky for me my current car was also speced exactly as I wanted, so it's less annoying to have to drive it an extra year, or who knows how long (though if EQS AMG comes first, or Audi RS eTron GT with a hatchback, or (maybe) Model S Plaid with proper brakes and steering wheel with stalks, or some other good alternative, I will pull out of the Taycan wait-lists, consider it for the next car after that of course).

Last edited:

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag

Marc,

What dealership did you work with, was it in Florida? We’re locked in with Champion in Pompano Beach. Production for our Taycan began last Wednesday according to our SA….Track your Dream isn’t accurate at this point. We’re looking at an April 1st delivery target.

Tom

JuTheKi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 2022, RR P400e LWB 2018 "fully loaded"
Country flag
I begun at max budget of 120 keur or lower. Ended up with the ”if I would have all the money”- version (I don’t ?) with 141 keur. Saved in car tax (ev car tax taken off since first of October 2021 in Finland)though 4k and got an extra 2k off the price. So in the end three months cost me 21 minus 6 = 15 keur. Anyway I am happier now with this absolutely loaded CT4!

OP
OP
Marcad80

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Marc,

What dealership did you work with, was it in Florida? We’re locked in with Champion in Pompano Beach. Production for our Taycan began last Wednesday according to our SA….Track your Dream isn’t accurate at this point. We’re looking at an April 1st delivery target.

Tom
I’m in Central Florida. And when you says track your dream isn’t accurate do you mean it reading to early, late, or no correlation to actual status?

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’m in Central Florida. And when you says track your dream isn’t accurate do you mean it reading to early, late, or no correlation to actual status?
It was working fine until about ten days ago….but as my production date approached…the dates shifted a week back….and then there was an image of a race driver holding an umbrella instead of displaying the timeline for a few days. When the timeline reappeared my production date was set for January 28th. TYD still hasn’t updated past Phase 2…so I reached out to our SA…and he has the ability to see beyond TYD…and he let me know our car went into the body shop last Wednesday…the first day of the build. I’m not sure if they produce on weekends, so I’m guessing it’ll be complete in a day or two. I’ll let you know if TYD wakes up and updates the start of production date.
Porsche Taycan Recovering Configuraholic A03C7DB4-7C2D-4184-8036-651F5A9E9612
Sponsored