Red Error Light on Charger Port

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Today, I connected the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect connector into the left DC port, the status light turned RED and the battery indicator in the car also turned RED. The manual says, "An error occurred when charging the high-voltage battery"; which is obvious and frankly, useless. The question is, what is the problem, and how do I solve it? The charger was installed last week by an electrician on a dedicated 240V 50 Amp circuit. I've plugged this charger into the left charger port before and have had no problem charging. I double-checked to make sure that the plug was securely in place.

As a workaround, I unplugged the connecter and reconnected it on the right side of the car. It appears to be working properly.

OP

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today, I connected the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect connector into the left DC port, the status light turned RED and the battery indicator in the car also turned RED. The manual says, "An error occurred when charging the high-voltage battery"; which is obvious and frankly, useless. The question is, what is the problem, and how do I solve it? The charger was installed last week by an electrician on a dedicated 240V 50 Amp circuit. I've plugged this charger into the left charger port before and have had no problem charging. I double-checked to make sure that the plug was securely in place.

As a workaround, I unplugged the connecter and reconnected it on the right side of the car. It appears to be working properly.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Have you tried using the left port again to see if it was a transient or permanent fault?

OP

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you, but the problems seem unrelated

OP

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you tried using the left port again to see if it was a transient or permanent fault?
Yes, I went back to the left port after about 30 minutes; the status light turned RED again. I then unplugged the cable and moved it to the right side of the car. The car charged normally overnight.

The problem appears to be on the left charging port. Any insights as to the meaning of the RED error light would be appreciated.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Soon, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid
Country flag
Yes, I went back to the left port after about 30 minutes; the status light turned RED again. I then unplugged the cable and moved it to the right side of the car. The car charged normally overnight.

The problem appears to be on the left charging port. Any insights as to the meaning of the RED error light would be appreciated.
You’ll need to get it booked in pal so they can check the logs. A red light is just a failed charge. Doesn’t help you but the logs will have some more info.

OP

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’ll need to get it booked in pal so they can check the logs. A red light is just a failed charge. Doesn’t help you but the logs will have some more info.
Thank you for the response. I was beginning to realize that a drive to the Porsche Service Center was in order. Since I can charge from the right side, I may wait for a few other initial bugs to show up and have them look at all of them on the same visit.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Soon, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid
Country flag
Thank you for the response. I was beginning to realize that a drive to the Porsche Service Center was in order. Since I can charge from the right side, I may wait for a few other initial bugs to show up and have them look at all of them on the same visit.
A pain for sure, sounds like the port is faulty though. At least it’s not the charger from AC to D.C. I’d think that fault would show on both sides.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

It could be a lot of things. Could be that the communication between the charger and the car has failed for some reason. I have had the same when I tried a Tesla mobile charger ( not the Tesla Wall Connector). I got that red light consistently with it, but my Porsche charger works just fine.