Reduced range

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
For Northeast folks,

i have my car since February. The range was getting better till two weeks ago. I would say it would get to 260 miles range (250 pre update). However for the last two weeks, the range has been getting lower. We are creeping lower than 230 miles at the moment (almost 220). Originally I thought it is maybe because it’s getting colder and the rain but I don’t remember getting those low number when I got it. CT4 with 19,000 miles. It has been charged on dc chargers 99% of the time. The commute is 45 miles each way mostly highways ( between NYC and CT). I’m taking it for service in a week or two but thought I would ask first.
Sponsored

Satiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
For Northeast folks,

i have my car since February. The range was getting better till two weeks ago. I would say it would get to 260 miles range (250 pre update). However for the last two weeks, the range has been getting lower. We are creeping lower than 230 miles at the moment (almost 220). Originally I thought it is maybe because it’s getting colder and the rain but I don’t remember getting those low number when I got it. CT4 with 19,000 miles. It has been charged on dc chargers 99% of the time. The commute is 45 miles each way mostly highways ( between NYC and CT). I’m taking it for service in a week or two but thought I would ask first.
'getting colder and the rain' forced me to look upon your location.......another New Jerseyian !. Interestingly I am experiencing the same symptom last two weeks as well. I think , as you said its due to the temp drop. But interested in knowing what the dealer got to say about this

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Same thing happened to me. I'm in NH. Up until a few weeks ago I was getting about 220 miles on an 80% charge. That extrapolates to 275 miles on a full charge.

Now I'm getting less than 200 miles on an 80% charge.

I only charge at home. Never charge above 80% and never go below 15%. 10K miles on TTS.

The pessimist in me thinks I've suddenly lost about 15% of my battery capacity.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Same here seem to have lost around 30 miles in range. I am not too heavy footed a driver..

JustWatching

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (April '22)
Country flag
I live in CT, '22 4S. Got it in April.

Some observations:

Last weekend, it was cooler, range dropped to 240 at 85%. That is the lowest range I have ever had.
I took my Taycan in on Monday for the software update. In and out same day. Obviously range drop from the weekend was pre-update.

Yesterday was a nice day. Last night it was at 50% SOC and showed 135 miles. Today it cooled down. This morning I went out to the garage to plug it in. When I plugged it in, car woke up, center panel lit up, showed 135 miles, spinning circle came on, range dropped by 10 miles at same 50%.

I assume (speculating big time) that when the Taycan calculates range it checks weather as well but not the actual car's but the forecast. My garage is semi-insulated so it never gets below 50F in the winter, during this time of year it is always in the high 60s.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The "range" your dash displays means nothing. You didn't wake up with less range, it's a guess based on temperature, driving style, etc..

Range will be lower in inclement weather, especially cold, but the GOM (guess-o-meter) can be overly dramatic about it.

My Taycan would routinely show me sub 200 miles of range in winter and I never had even the slightest concern doing trips of 220+ miles.

It's best to learn your car's efficiency on various trips and get used to using battery % to calculate range. For example, I'd generally remember in winter that 1% = 2 miles if I'm trying to be very safe, or 2% = 5 miles if I was driving more conservatively.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
my guess o meter is reporting a serious decline in range, 200 miles @ 90% of charge.
I am in FLA so cooler weather is not part of the equation.

Reactions: B61

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
Same for me in Southern New Jersey. I picked mine up the end of March this year and noticed not the best range until the warm/hot weather come in. Now that it’s getting cooler I notice my range is back to when I picked it up in the cooler months.
Thank goodness the car charges quickly BUT definitely longer when it’s cold out.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
As being discussed in other threads (related to uPdate): I was having 400-420km all over the winter…after uPdate, i’m not coming over 380 km anymore.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
For Northeast folks,

If you're concerned about range, 99% DC charging isn't what you should be doing. Your year one battery degradation is going to be eye watering with 80+ fast charges (I'm assuming normal 150kW+ DC charging?). It probably isn't the reason for your GOM numbers, but it will definitely have an effect down the road.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
In the Charging ICON click on the [...] option lower right hand side and the next screen will have:
Battery Friendly charging option. The car will reduce its demand for power on 350kW chargers.
Using a 150kW charger will limit your charge rate to 175kW provided you have the 150kW/400V option installed. Battery degradation occurs early on and levels out quickly thereafter. Enjoy!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If you're concerned about range, 99% DC charging isn't what you should be doing. Your year one battery degradation is going to be eye watering with 80+ fast charges (I'm assuming normal 150kW+ DC charging?). It probably isn't the reason for your GOM numbers, but it will definitely have an effect down the road.
98.9 % of my charging is L2 using the porsche evse so L3 DC charging is probably not the issue for me

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
98.9 % of my charging is L2 using the porsche evse so L3 DC charging is probably not the issue for me
100% on L2, never used fast charger at all.

OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
Weather warmed up for a couple of days and during that time range was up again.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Weather warmed up for a couple of days and during that time range was up again.
Agreed. In last days, I made about 200km, with consumption 21,4 kwh/100, so i’m over 400km@100SoC.
Outside temp.: 19-21 degrees C.
Sponsored