j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
As we all know, the Taycan uses mechanical brakes only (no regen) when new, and then starts to add-in regen braking when it decides that it wants to - the hypothesis being that it forces mechanical braking until the brakes are good and "bedded in". This happens - according to other posts - within a few hundred to a few thousand miles.

My Taycan GTS with PSCB brakes started out with no regen braking, as expected, and with brake feel that I can only call "bloody awful" - vague, strange, weak, and unpredictable. In the first two days of ownership I did a few 60-0 hard stops to bed in the brakes, like we were all taught to do, and after that the brake feel was dramatically better. Then, over the course of about two hundred miles, the brake feel slowly got even better, until I started to think of it as "these are really really good brakes".

Then, yesterday, magically, at somewhere around 400 miles on the odometer, I started to get regen on braking. I haven't done enough "spirited" driving to say for sure, but so far the regen and mechanical braking feel very well integrated. No issues.

As a side note, I have almost no dust on the white mission-e wheels and white calipers after 400 miles of mostly mechanical braking, whereas my Jaguar would turn its silver 20" wheels gray after a single Sunday fun run. Nice.

FYI: I filed this under the batteries and charging topic since regen is all about recharging the batteries using brake energy. Apologies if this was the wrong place for the thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Mine kicked in even sooner, around 300ish I think. It really is well done and the returns in terms of range are noticeable.

And yeah the lack of brake dust is great, if only the roads themselves weren’t absolutely disgusting at the moment, here

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
My regen braking starts today at 1035km.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Mine kicked in today at 520 miles - I noticed a change in noise under braking before noticing the green Regen bar on the dash. Brakes now feel far more natural than before where they were a bit stiff and unpredictable

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Brakes now feel far more natural than before where they were a bit stiff and unpredictable
Yes the regen brake feel and effect is really well judged IMO.

My regen has stopped working so I notice this!

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Yes the regen brake feel and effect is really well judged IMO.

My regen has stopped working so I notice this!
Nightmare, do Porsche know why it's stopped working?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nightmare, do Porsche know why it's stopped working?
I have an appointment on 1st August, seems top be related to the transmission fault warning which flagged a couple of weeks ago.
Not using it until its fixed.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
I have notice the regen wouldn't kick in the first 2-3km every morning. I assume Porsche design in software to clear/clean the discs and pads letting them sit in work properly.

Last edited:

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
That was my assumption too, very clever

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
How does one find out if brakes have bedded in and regen has started (after ‘x’ miles)?
Is there an indication on screen/ instrument cluster or a PCM message?

Some screenshot of the instrument cluster that shows when ‘Regen enabled‘ would be helpful…
Thanks…

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
It’s just a case of watching the power meter on the dash and seeing when it starts going green during braking

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s just a case of watching the power meter on the dash and seeing when it starts going green during braking
Mine has been going green since the very beginning... or at least I noticed it within the first 50 miles (on my drive back from the dealership while picking up the car)....

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine has been going green since the very beginning... or at least I noticed it within the first 50 miles (on my drive back from the dealership while picking up the car)....
If you have the lift-off regen set to either simulate an IC engined car or on auto you will get a bit of green but once the brakes are bedded, it was around 400 miles for me from new and about ½ mile from cold each day, the green bar indicating recuperation can go almost as far round the dial as the power bar can.

I have noticed when coasting - my preferred setting, that if you go downhill a small amount of recuperative braking is applied, presumably to stop the car speeding up a lot so a small amount of green shows then too.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you have the lift-off regen set to either simulate an IC engined car or on auto you will get a bit of green but once the brakes are bedded, it was around 400 miles for me from new and about ½ mile from cold each day, the green bar indicating recuperation can go almost as far round the dial as the power bar can.

I have noticed when coasting - my preferred setting, that if you go downhill a small amount of recuperative braking is applied, presumably to stop the car speeding up a lot so a small amount of green shows then too.
Got it... 👍

So, the best way to test is to keep Recuperation Setting to OFF and then see if the regen dial shows up large values.

I did the usual bedding in practice (60-5 repeated hard braking) within the first 15 miles itself... the car is now at about 650 miles...

Will check on the drive home.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Yup exactly that. I always keep the auto region setting off, it's far more economical to coast and the Taycan seems to cost forever too! I only use it when sticking on briefly to slow down for traffic lights or an intersection but even then the brakes will regenerate more
Sponsored