andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
This seems like a daft question but I would have expected that when switching from Normal to Range mode the regen would turn on, to eek out more range. In fact it does the opposite. If its on in Normal mode, switching to Range actually turns regen off. Anyone else find that strange or is there a good scientific answer ? :)
Sponsored

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This seems like a daft question but I would have expected that when switching from Normal to Range mode the regen would turn on, to eek out more range. In fact it does the opposite. If its on in Normal mode, switching to Range actually turns regen off. Anyone else find that strange or is there a good scientific answer ? :)
Porsche believes that considering the way it expects its drivers to use the car coasting is more useful to Range and that the regen gives the feel of engine braking...... personal choice i suppose

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere a while ago that Porsche had worked out that it was more economical to not have regen on, and it was to do with the fact that the car can coast quite freely.

However on our congested roads so far I've found that quite a challenge as I usually try to rely on engine braking on the motorway, so now I find myself turning into one of those people who are always on the brake pedal, which means the no regen mode probably isn't more efficient for me. I either need to learn to factor in the much slower reduction in speed, or just turn on regen!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere a while ago that Porsche had worked out that it was more economical to not have regen on, and it was to do with the fact that the car can coast quite freely.

However on our congested roads so far I've found that quite a challenge as I usually try to rely on engine braking on the motorway, so now I find myself turning into one of those people who are always on the brake pedal, which means the no regen mode probably isn't more efficient for me. I either need to learn to factor in the much slower reduction in speed, or just turn on regen!
Doesn't the car regenerate under braking too?

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Doesn't the car regenerate under braking too?
Actually I think you're right in saying that, at the Experience Centre the instructor told me that when you press the brake pedal on the Taycan very little of the braking is done by the pads & discs. So I take that to mean the rest of the braking is done by the motors and therefore there could be some regen.

And now I wish I'd thought to ask another question on that.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag

It seems to be more economical in terms of energy to let the car coast also...

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I can't believe how freely this car coasts with no power. I believe it's due to a couple factors. First, I think the component resistance in the drivetrain is significantly less with these electric motors than a conventional ICE. Second, it's one heavy mother of momentum.

Lifting throttle on a smooth flat road I'm amazed at how little speed it loses.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
It’s been covered before but yes, pressing the brake pedal can provide upto 270kw of regen. coasting and then braking (regen) is proven to be the most efficient way to preserve the battery charge. Whether you switch regen on with the button or not is more personal preference.

the actual brake pads and discs are not used until over 0.4g of retardation force is needed

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
This is all correct, but I always find myself turning on the Auto Regen in Eco. That way it coasts for efficiency BUT it will regen if there is a car in front of me to keep distance. Best of both worlds and its what I would have chosen for range mode. But that goes against the “simplicity to drive” paradigm Porsche chose because the behaviour changes based on context.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is all correct, but I always find myself turning on the Auto Regen in Eco. That way it coasts for efficiency BUT it will regen if there is a car in front of me to keep distance. Best of both worlds and its what I would have chosen for range mode. But that goes against the “simplicity to drive” paradigm Porsche chose because the behaviour changes based on context.
It accomplishes the same thing. When you apply brakes the car regens. So the "regen" option is really "lightly apply brakes when not on throttle".

You never gain an actual efficiency advantage with regen turned on over just braking. Ever. But you can lose efficiency as it's often better to release the throttle and coast without braking.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It accomplishes the same thing. When you apply brakes the car regens. So the "regen" option is really "lightly apply brakes when not on throttle".

You never gain an actual efficiency advantage with regen turned on over just braking. Ever. But you can lose efficiency as it's often better to release the throttle and coast without braking.
I understand. Auto regen does the no regen EXCEPT for slowing down and coming to a stop without having to touch the break. So its convenience.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Actually I think you're right in saying that, at the Experience Centre the instructor told me that when you press the brake pedal on the Taycan very little of the braking is done by the pads & discs. So I take that to mean the rest of the braking is done by the motors and therefore there could be some regen.

And now I wish I'd thought to ask another question on that.
look at the energy meter when you break and you’ll see the needle move to the left indicating regen
Coasting uses (basically) no energy and then braking recharges.
I’m used to 1-pedal driving in my Tesla Model S, but looking at it from physics perspective, I realize I’m keeping on go pedal longer because because letting causes deceleration equivalent to downshifting 1 or even 2 gears in manual transmission.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One factor is that regen is only 30-50% efficient, so if you coat, vs regen and accelerate, coasting will be much more efficient. That is the basic numbers.
Sponsored