Regenerative Braking Setting

Basebull7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
curious to know if anyone drives with regen braking on all the time…or are there more appropriate times to turn it on vs other situations…thanks
Sponsored

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
curious to know if anyone drives with regen braking on all the time…or are there more appropriate times to turn it on vs other situations…thanks
I generally do not turn it on - mainly from info that I have garnered from the Forum - coasting is optimal for battery conservation. BUT.................I do use the button on the steering wheel to turn regen on and off when I am in traffic. I find that I am constantly on and off the brakes in traffic and using the regen button provides enough 'braking' to flow with traffic and not be on and off the brakes constantly.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
regen is never _OFF_ - with Porsche you have a mild amount of control as to how much regen you get simply by lifting off the pedal.

all braking done via the brake pedal is regen 1st + blended friction brakes as the computer deems necessary to accomplish the requested rate of deceleration.

so the button is simply controlling how much regen you get with out touching the brake pedal - once you touch the brake pedal you are engaging regen - there is no way to disable it.

NOTE: the amount of "regen" at any given moment is easily visible with the "power meter" display on the center "scope" in the Taycan LCD dash console display behind the steering wheel - you can "see" the regen in the "green" bar that grows counter clockwise as you apply the brakes - regen is _ALWAYS ON_ - but porsche has limited controls as to what minute amount of regen can be applied simply by lifting off the accelerator or if you are following a vehicle too closely.

Last edited:

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I prefer coasting when appropriate, but I’ll activate the recuperation mode via the steering wheel buttton in the same manner @Marmolata describes.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
You like being in "neutral" every time your foot is off the accelerator? :cool:
Yes. That's how I operate my Corvette's manual transmission (unless I need to slow down), and the Taycan doesn't require any effort to re-engage when acceleration is required.

I'm a nerd when it comes to energy management.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I use auto-recuperation, which is long press of the button (it will show an A in the icon). Then it’s basically off (coasting) except when there’s a car in front of you. Best of both worlds. @Wakesurfer maybe try that to see if you like it?

It solves the problem of only wanting it in traffic for me.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
For me it is:
1) Recuperation off for highway cruising, because it's more efficient without being in any way annoying.
2) Poke the steering wheel button to turn on lift-off recuperation when in traffic, or around town, which lets me use the brake pedal less.
3) Never use "Auto" recuperation mode because I don't like the car to decide how much to slow down.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I use auto-recuperation, which is long press of the button (it will show an A in the icon). Then it’s basically off (coasting) except when there’s a car in front of you. Best of both worlds. @Wakesurfer maybe try that to see if you like it?

It solves the problem of only wanting it in traffic for me.
That's what I do too.
First thing I do when I get in the car. Seat belt on, power up, recoup long press (auto).

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's what I do too.
First thing I do when I get in the car. Seat belt on, power up, recoup long press (auto).
Yep, same. Really wish I could set it standard. I can set it in the individual drive profile, but the car always starts in normal, right?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yep, same. Really wish I could set it standard. I can set it in the individual drive profile, but the car always starts in normal, right?
Yes, always starts in normal.

Iove the auto option. It will coast when the roads clear, but auto brakes in traffic.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You have no option. Braking recuperation is not user switchable.

I think you may be referring to overrun recuperation (throttle lift off) which is user controlled (and less effective than braking recuperation).

I have a theory that on average it is more efficient not to enable it if you want to maximise range.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I switch overrun recuperation on as soon as I set off, and only activate coasting while I'm unlikely to need the brake pedal for a while- circumstances I rarely find myself in.
Sponsored