DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My Taycan is in the shop so I rented a Model Y from Hertz.

I was genuinely curious about how this would go. Do they have chargers on site?

At this location the answer is NO, surprisingly! Not even level 2 or 1. They shuttle cars back and forth from the nearest Supercharger to keep them charged for customers. They also noted they don't let them leave without at least 80% charge.

I have no idea if I am expected to return it with the same level of charge, or what it will cost if I don't. Since I have charging infrastructure at home I will plug it in so, shouldn't be an issue.

Review of the car: holy crap do I miss my Porsche.

It rides very bouncy, and I absolutely hate the one-pedal-driving (which cannot be disabled.) Lifting off the gas is like hitting the brakes.

On the positive side, the "radio that actually works" feature is PHENOMENAL!
I was listening to music from my phone, parked to go into the bank, came out and got back in and my music resumed where I left off almost immediately. WOW! What technology! I wish Porsche had this feature!
Sponsored

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Actually, the one pedal driving CAN be disabled. We've done that on my dad's Model 3 at first, but then once he tried it, he loved it so stuck with it.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It rides very bouncy, and I absolutely hate the one-pedal-driving (which cannot be disabled.) Lifting off the gas is like hitting the brakes.
FWIW;
the regen can be adjusted from high, to where it appears your car was set at to low which will be a lot less harsh

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Regen cannot be adjusted on '21+ without external tools (obd) or track mode (this one I'm unsure of).

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Met some friends for dinner and as we were leaving and they were walking to their Model S (2021 I think), I noticed that the front end looked kind of cool. As we were leaving, following them at night, I thought that the rear looked kinda cool as well. Then I noticed the misaligned rear hatch and the left rear tail light not lining up properly between the quarter panel and the trunk lid...and I gave my Taycan a soft 'love ya girl' rub on the dashboard.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yes, I think one of the biggest complaints I have seen with the Model Y is the suspension. The Model S and X have air suspension but Model Y and 3 are coil suspension.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Well my base Taycan has coil suspension too, but it doesn't feel like this thing.

As for regen options they are not present at all...apparently a recent-ish change, as my wife's 2018 has regen settings.

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
I test drove a M3P in 2021 and I couldn't find a way to turn off 1-pedal. The suspension also sucked like you've noticed, and the cabin was super noisy. The M3 RWD I rented 3 months ago somehow drove significantly better, even if it's slower.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Well my base Taycan has coil suspension too, but it doesn't feel like this thing.

As for regen options they are not present at all...apparently a recent-ish change, as my wife's 2018 has regen settings.
It's gotta moreso be the adaptive dampers that Porsche uses, combined with their focus and expertise in suspension tuning. It seems for all their vehicles, not just Taycan, people praise the balance they strike to having a comfortable ride and fantastic handling. An example I often see is the Macan Turbo/GTS vs GLC63 and X3M which ride pretty rough

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Review of the car: holy crap do I miss my Porsche.

I test-drove a Tesla Model 3 and felt the same bouncy, rattly, and uncoastable experiences. Ugh. I have a friend who drives a Model X and its suspension is slightly better. I think Tesla designed an electric car around a computer, whereas Porsche designed an electric driving machine that happens to include a computer.