Replaced PMC+ with Tesla Gen 3 J1772 Wall Connector

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Here are some photos of my EVSE installed on the post between two garage doors. The first photo shows the PMC+ plugged into a Hubbell NEMA 6-50 outlet. Since I was using a 40 Amp breaker the install was not really safe since the charger was drawing 36 Amps.

I replaced the PMC+ with the new Tesla Gen 3 J1772 Wall Connector. I left the outlet box in place and used it to change the supply line from 1" conduit to 3/4" conduit. For some reason the Gen 3 Tesla only accepts 1" conduit entering the EVSE from the bottom or back and not the top.

I bumped out the Wall Connector 4-3/4" from the post to allow for an 18" diameter "shield" to keep the wound cable away from the garage door track. It's very easy to set up the Tesla charger using a laptop to connect to the EVSE WIFI. The Tesla EVSE works with up to a 60 Amp breaker. I programmed it for the 40 Amp breaker I have installed and the charger now operates safely at 31 Amps.

Porsche Taycan Replaced PMC+ with Tesla Gen 3 J1772 Wall Connector PMC+on-garage-post

Porsche Taycan Replaced PMC+ with Tesla Gen 3 J1772 Wall Connector TeslaGen3-on-garage-post

Porsche Taycan Replaced PMC+ with Tesla Gen 3 J1772 Wall Connector DoorTrackShiield

Porsche Taycan Replaced PMC+ with Tesla Gen 3 J1772 Wall Connector TeslaGen3J1772