outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Nobody pissed in my coffee. I just find it funny when someone says ‘all you have to do is…’ and then lists out a ten step process. :CWL:

And then compares it to a much simpler, one step process and proclaims the latter is inferior.

Not knocking the Tesla charging option, just the idea that it’s more efficient than opening no apps, giving no credit cards, using no adapters, and getting faster speeds.
LOL no one pissed in your coffee, but you drank too much cool-aid. Plug and charge doesn't work all the time and so you still have to resort to the app to unlock the charger.

Good that you can do average of 90kW. Here in SoCal, a typical station with 3-4 chargers usually at least 1 is dead, sometimes more. Then there are cars waiting ahead of you. You end up with 2 chargers and a queue of people doing at least 20min sessions. When they do work, I get 50kW, on average. I always reported the issue in the EA app.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
regrettably the previous owner of my car didn’t ask me if I wanted to have the400V charger :(
That's a shame.

To be clear, it's not a charger - but is a 400V DC - 800v DC booster to support any 400V EVSEs > 50 kW <= 150kW - I don't think it can be retrofitted either unfortunately.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
About the remarks about the complexity to link the Tesla account to your credit card. Maybe this is interesting to mention:

Chargemap recently launched an integration between their charging card (that can be used in almost all CSS chargers) and the Tesla superchargers in France.
(https://chargemap.com/tesla-superchargers)
Maybe this kind of solution will become available in other countries soon.

The result is that you have a common billing solution for both regular CSS chargers and Superchargers.

You still need the Tesla app to actually activate the charging session. But that might be solved in the future by adding plug&charge capabilities.

Step by step all practical problems with EV's are being solved...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
jeez who pissed in your coffee? it's a nice additional option for us to have, and considering the reliability i've had with EA, i'd love to have more options beyond just sitting on the phone trying to get their shit to work when it fails.
Bingo, great retort.
it's all about having as many options as possible to charge.
my criteria for finding charging is first convenience, close to the route that I am on. the next factor is charging speed, lastly and least concerning is the cost of the charge.

having another dependable option like the tesla network is huge for an EV driver who travels beyond the range of the car regularly.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
So all you had to do was: download another app, put your credit card in the app, consult the app to locate the charging station, find a charger with the adapter, unload the adapter from the charger and attach it to the charger, plug it in, and it charged your car at 47 kWH?

Gee, and all this time I’ve been just driving up to EA chargers, plugging in and getting an average of 90kWH. Wait…that seems easier...
I for one find it extremely easy and much faster to set up a charging session with Tesla SuC here in Europe than Ionity. However Ionity are generally very good charging sessions Once they start. But I also hve a Tesla so no need to any new setup. Very similar steps to using the Porsche app or card.

Since my car is a 2020 model I do not have Plug and Charge on Ionity with the car. I believe Fastned have solved this in a different way since I heard that works on their network. But need for an additional account and app.

It can easily take two or three attempts and a few times a phone call, before success with Ionity charging! A few times you have to move to another stall, but not that often.

With Tesla it has been plug in (no dock since we have CCS2), choose charger and 15 to 20 seconds later 130 to 140 kW. When Ionity chargers start and work they are unbeatable with up to 270 kW and well prepared battery. Sometimes that session will be so fast that you hardly have time for a break and a coffee!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I also just reflected on these problems with Plug and Charge or even getting a charging session started. We have heard so many stories from EA and Ionity about the complexity of communicating with the cars, since there are so many different brands. And all of these must be tested and retested etc. And still problems. All Ionity and EA were saying is “”Tesla have it much easier since they are in control of cars, chargers, communications etc””

That excuse is now well dead and buried. And Tesla as well as Fastned seem to have proven that point strongly.

For me it is a great convenience to charge at a Tesla station even if it maybe 50% more expensive than Ionity. Locations are good and the network is quite dense.

BUT it still is cheaper here in Europe to charge at a Tesla SuC Open for all, than charging at many of the other networks available in the Porsche Charging service. It really only is Ionity that brings the extra value!

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Yeah, absolutely a no brainer option.
Excellent report that seems to never become reality. My question is how you have those open when the announcement said that this will happen by the end of 2024 and then if these already exist then how do you find them, assume just in the Tesla app only. I just want to see if there are any on our area.

JustWatching

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (April '22)
Country flag
Excellent report that seems to never become reality. My question is how you have those open when the announcement said that this will happen by the end of 2024 and then if these already exist then how do you find them, assume just in the Tesla app only. I just want to see if there are any on our area.
https://www.tesla.com/findus

filter by non-tesla

looks like CA and NY at this time

Last edited:

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Bingo, great retort.
it's all about having as many options as possible to charge.
my criteria for finding charging is first convenience, close to the route that I am on. the next factor is charging speed, lastly and least concerning is the cost of the charge.

having another dependable option like the tesla network is huge for an EV driver who travels beyond the range of the car regularly.
100%

Should be less about ‘hating Elon’ or not ‘giving him a cent on my money’ as someone here wrote in a similar thread.

It’s about more decent alternatives when it comes to charging. That should be applauded and less bitterness.

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's a shame.

To be clear, it's not a charger - but is a 400V DC - 800v DC booster to support any 400V EVSEs > 50 kW <= 150kW - I don't think it can be retrofitted either unfortunately.
well, Porsche call it a charger in the configurator (at least in the US) ;)

we all know what it is, let’s not split hairs

shayman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 4S Cross Tourismo (Est. June)
Country flag
On the Tesla app, all you have to do is create an account and add a credit card. then you click "charge my non tesla vehicle" and it guides you to a station that supports this system, and prompts you to pick which stall you're at.
Interesting. When I open my Tesla app (Android device, app downloaded from the Google Play Store in Canada), I don't see an option to "charge my non tesla vehicle. All that I get is a list of Tesla products to buy.

Am I missing something or is there a different experience on Android devices? In Canda?

Scott

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Interesting. When I open my Tesla app (Android device, app downloaded from the Google Play Store in Canada), I don't see an option to "charge my non tesla vehicle. All that I get is a list of Tesla products to buy.

Am I missing something or is there a different experience on Android devices? In Canda?

Scott
may not be doing it for Canada - Tesla is being 'forced' to open Supercharger network in US via the attraction of federal funds - since there are no requirements or similar funds for Canada perhaps they are holding back for now - that's ashame no question.

My opinion - Elon should just retrofit all the North American superchargers w/MagicDocks and then reap the rewards of higher utilization.

Last edited:

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I'm glad to see the option is opening up. I probably won't use it much being stuck at 50kw and the rates being 20% higher or so (free charging plan not withstanding). It definitely unlocks a charging failsafe for roadtripping.
Sponsored